PDA

View Full Version : A Little KPN Action After Work

fishinone
10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I went down to the lake after work for a little R&R. I got there at about 5:15 and walked quite a ways I believe it was about 5:30 when I started fishing.

I took the long walk and went out on a point away from the crowd.

I started working my new white KPN on the surface then pulled it subsurface like Gary described today in his "How To" and hooked up on my first cast, only to loose the fish half way in.

About 4 casts later I hooked up subsurface again on a nice size schoolie. This fish hit just a few feet from shore and immediately started doing rolls and just wound my line up around itself. It tied everything in a beautiful knot. It took forever to get everything or almost everything untangled. I gave up, retied and went back to casting with a knot of superline around the dressing on the back hook.

My second fish just a few casts later hit subsurface, about 20 yards out and fought hard all the way in until it came unbuttoned 15 ft down the shore. I started working the lure again and the fish made an immediate U-turn and hit at the lure three times before the lure came up into the rocks. The fish turned around and I flipped the lure right in front of it as it headed back out, Hook-up! This was the same fish. I could see it from before it came unbuttoned until I hooked it up again.

All of the fish I caught today had extreme energy. They were going nuts in the water and out of it.

My 4th fish managed to hang my thumb in the back hook of the KPN. I told GLTFTS on Saturday that he got hooked more than anybody I know. I should have opted for silence. :LOL: Luckily the point hit my thumbnail down underneath the skin and the barb stopped just before it caught me. I still had to pull pretty hard to get the hook out of my thumbnail.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00186-20101005-1755.jpg
Here's a stringer shot at 5:55.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00187-20101005-1803.jpg
I had a little bigger one on that came unbuttoned, then this one grabbed the lure.

I had lots of short strikes today. I had one "blind fish" hit at the KPN 7 or 8 times while I worked it on the top, it never did get the lure.

I picked up one more fish by about 6:15 when it was time to head in.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00188-20101005-1944.jpg
Here's a stringer shot in the sink at home.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00189-20101005-1948.jpg
My wife was kind enough to take a shot of me and the 2 biggest fish.

CAPT'N
10-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Ron,

nice fish!

capt'n

radray
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Good job on the Stripeys! I am assuming the stripers are active again.

Korin
10-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi,

I'm really inspired by your post. I'm going to Castaic to try for strippers for the first time. I don't have a boat can you tell me where you were fishing from?

Korin

Optimist
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
wow! Nice catch. Are you went to the west ramp? Because the place doesn't looks like the east ramp.

I have the same kPN too. It looks like I need to practice the sub "how to" technique as soon as I learn walk the dog. Anyone want to meet me up on Saturday? I would like to practice walk the dog with someone.

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Wow...nice! We went to Castaic too this afternoon around 4-ish to fish for a few hours. I saw a buncha people fishing there off the dam near the main ramp and of course wondered if any of the anglers were any of the FNN members. Were you there? Did you see us coming into the dock right at 6:30pm? Last boat? :Wink:

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Optimist, I'd enjoy meeting people to practice, but I won't be able to bring the boat. Shore ok? I will try to find out what's going on this weekend for us...there's a possibility we're gonna go camping and fishing at Buena Vista this weekend.
I heard from someone today (who kindly gave me a striper he didn't want, hehe) that you can go to fish at the CastaicLagoon (from the dock side) for free---no parking fees, and 24/7. If that's the case, I think I'm gonna want to take advantage of that. Hopefully someone with some more experience will wanna come along!

stg68
10-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I went down to the lake after work for a little R&R. I got there at about 5:15 and walked quite a ways I believe it was about 5:30 when I started fishing.

I took the long walk and went out on a point away from the crowd.

I started working my new white KPN on the surface then pulled it subsurface like Gary described today in his "How To" and hooked up on my first cast, only to loose the fish half way in.

About 4 casts later I hooked up subsurface again on a nice size schoolie. This fish hit just a few feet from shore and immediately started doing rolls and just wound my line up around itself. It tied everything in a beautiful knot. It took forever to get everything or almost everything untangled. I gave up, retied and went back to casting with a knot of superline around the dressing on the back hook.

My second fish just a few casts later hit subsurface, about 20 yards out and fought hard all the way in until it came unbuttoned 15 ft down the shore. I started working the lure again and the fish made an immediate U-turn and hit at the lure three times before the lure came up into the rocks. The fish turned around and I flipped the lure right in front of it as it headed back out, Hook-up! This was the same fish. I could see it from before it came unbuttoned until I hooked it up again.

All of the fish I caught today had extreme energy. They were going nuts in the water and out of it.

My 4th fish managed to hang my thumb in the back hook of the KPN. I told GLTFTS on Saturday that he got hooked more than anybody I know. I should have opted for silence. :LOL: Luckily the point hit my thumbnail down underneath the skin and the barb stopped just before it caught me. I still had to pull pretty hard to get the hook out of my thumbnail.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00186-20101005-1755.jpg
Here's a stringer shot at 5:55.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00187-20101005-1803.jpg
I had a little bigger one on that came unbuttoned, then this one grabbed the lure.

I had lots of short strikes today. I had one "blind fish" hit at the KPN 7 or 8 times while I worked it on the top, it never did get the lure.

I picked up one more fish by about 6:15 when it was time to head in.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00188-20101005-1944.jpg
Here's a stringer shot in the sink at home.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20after%20work%2010-05-2010/IMG00189-20101005-1948.jpg
My wife was kind enough to take a shot of me and the 2 biggest fish.

Its seams this year (at least happens to me), subsurface produce more than right on the surface.:My Two Cents::My Two Cents:

cutbait
10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Nicely done. I'm a bit jealous about the after work dinner making trip you just had.

Way to slay in the John Denver outfit!!! :Razz:

Optimist
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Optimist, I'd enjoy meeting people to practice, but I won't be able to bring the boat. Shore ok? I will try to find out what's going on this weekend for us...there's a possibility we're gonna go camping and fishing at Buena Vista this weekend.
I heard from someone today (who kindly gave me a striper he didn't want, hehe) that you can go to fish at the CastaicLagoon (from the dock side) for free---no parking fees, and 24/7. If that's the case, I think I'm gonna want to take advantage of that. Hopefully someone with some more experience will wanna come along!

I have never been on boat before. I always fishing from shore. Therefore, we can meet up and practice the technique together. Can you PM me what time and the place that you would prefer.

Fishing from lagoon, it is free after the park is closed which mean from 6:30pm to the next morning 6:45am.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats on the quick slay, ya gotta LOVE those quick fixes : )

Nice ta see you were paying attention about the submarine/ "finning" action of the KPN.....really good to see that people are listening : )

Nice job on the "excecution" of the lure method and the "excecution" of those jailbirds.....

"murder death kill" ahhh ha ha ha ha

Now, as far as getting hooked.....I told you didn't I....That saturday...I told ya !

Ohhh yeah...I've learned...regarding a hook on the hand.......talk dat smack and it'll come back....

I predict cutbaits next followed by Hiro cuz they were grilling me as well.....

Nice work.....well done : )

Gary

fishinone
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Ron,

nice fish!

capt'n

Thanks Capt'n. I was totally enjoying the company of those "nice fish". :LOL:

Good job on the Stripeys! I am assuming the stripers are active again.

They're going now but the weather is about to change again. Hopefully it won't put them off.:Neutral:

Hi,

I'm really inspired by your post. I'm going to Castaic to try for strippers for the first time. I don't have a boat can you tell me where you were fishing from?

Korin

I was over by the west ramp. Go get them.

Be sure to read as much as you can about fishing for striper before you go. They can be really easy to catch but doing as much as possible "just right" will multiply your catch.

wow! Nice catch. Are you went to the west ramp? Because the place doesn't looks like the east ramp.

I have the same kPN too. It looks like I need to practice the sub "how to" technique as soon as I learn walk the dog. Anyone want to meet me up on Saturday? I would like to practice walk the dog with someone.

I drove to West Ramp and walked from there.

Use a knot that will pull up tight around the eyelet. Slide your knot to the top of the eyelet to make the lure go subsurface easier, slide the knot to the bottom to make it stay on the surface more. I put it center and let it mix up surface and sub-surface at times too. I use a 6 turn Uni-Knot but the Palomar Knot stays where you put it better. The Palomar Knot seems like too much trouble to tie, on a lure with treble hooks.

Wow...nice! We went to Castaic too this afternoon around 4-ish to fish for a few hours. I saw a buncha people fishing there off the dam near the main ramp and of course wondered if any of the anglers were any of the FNN members. Were you there? Did you see us coming into the dock right at 6:30pm? Last boat? :Wink:

I didn't see a fish report. Keep trying, you'll get them.

I saw a boat going in to the Main Ramp from the West Ramp but that's too far me, to tell who it is.

Nicely done. I'm a bit jealous about the after work dinner making trip you just had.

Way to slay in the John Denver outfit!!! :Razz:

Thank you C/B,

I'm looking forward to striper dinner tonight.

Hey, I'm an engineer. At least I didn't have a pocket protector.

To be fair though, I put a flannel Jacket on over it to fish last night. Maybe the fish couldn't tell what shirt I had on under it.:Rolls Eyes:

fishinone
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Congrats on the quick slay, ya gotta LOVE those quick fixes : )

Nice ta see you were paying attention about the submarine/ "finning" action of the KPN.....really good to see that people are listening : )

Nice job on the "excecution" of the lure method and the "excecution" of those jailbirds.....

"murder death kill" ahhh ha ha ha ha

Now, as far as getting hooked.....I told you didn't I....That saturday...I told ya !

Ohhh yeah...I've learned...regarding a hook on the hand.......talk dat smack and it'll come back....

I predict cutbaits next followed by Hiro cuz they were grilling me as well.....

Nice work.....well done : )

Gary

Thanks for the writing the "How To" your insight in these things is very helpful.

I had seen the subsurface action of the KPN Mini Shad before and picked up a couple fish that way but this was the first time that it's been the pattern for me. I could work the lure half way in on the surface watching swirls behind the lure but the fish wouldn't hit it until it went under. Well except for the blind fish.:Big Grin: Who cares what pattern he wants? He couldn't get the lure if he tried.:LOL:

My thumb just told me, not to razz you about getting hooked, any more!:Wink:

kpn
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Great job on a short after work session buddy!
Thanks for the update/ on the water report last night....It make me want to go somewhere to fish at that moment :LOL:. Wish I was there with you bro.

The lure's new color looks so nice :Envious:.
I've been catching fish both surface and sub-surface alot....especially when they are not boiling.

Khanh.

koifish
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
nice job. I'm going there tomorrow morning for a couple of hours.

TroutOnly
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
nice killin ron, you keep growin that beard and you will look like jermiah johson,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I have never been on boat before. I always fishing from shore. Therefore, we can meet up and practice the technique together. Can you PM me what time and the place that you would prefer.

Fishing from lagoon, it is free after the park is closed which mean from 6:30pm to the next morning 6:45am.
Thanks, optimist. Yes, that's right.....I forgot it's AFTER hours to fish free in the lagoon. That's dandy if you ask me. I'm a total night owl! Let's wake up the fishies! I'll PM you--lest we hijack the thread, hehe :Secret:

yolo
10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Way cool Ron. Can't beat that quick action.

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 01:16 PM
I saw a boat going in to the Main Ramp from the West Ramp but that's too far me, to tell who it is.

We went to the west ramp first, but it was closed, so we went to the main ramp. Just as we pulled up to the booth, I noticed another boat leaving--it was silvery colored and had a fishing guide ad painted on the aft. whoops, maybe that was Dave, hehe. We were in an ancient brown & tan club wagon van, pulling an even more ancient 16 ft. red and white speedboat with a curved windshield.

fishinone
10-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Great job on a short after work session buddy!
Thanks for the update/ on the water report last night....It make me want to go somewhere to fish at that moment :LOL:. Wish I was there with you bro.

The lure's new color looks so nice :Envious:.
I've been catching fish both surface and sub-surface alot....especially when they are not boiling.

Khanh.

I guess I should have called sooner.:Big Grin:

They were going all the way around that point I was on. 4 guys could have really put on a show.

nice job. I'm going there tomorrow morning for a couple of hours.

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out. I know you manage to catch quite a few.

nice killin ron, you keep growin that beard and you will look like jermiah johson,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks T/O,

I'd like to have that buffalo robe he wears. It would match my beard perfectly, don't you think.

Way cool Ron. Can't beat that quick action.

Hi Yolo,

It was a plan that came together. I love it when a plan comes together!:Big Grin:

I had been out there at lunch and saw what was going on over at that point. :Idea:Nobody but the birds was over there so I figured it would still be going on in the evening and went back.

I was out there today at lunch too. The birds were working farther down the lake. I'm not going back this evening though. Too much to do.

Fire Ball
10-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Very nice! It looks like subwalking the KPN is slaying them right now! I need to get in on the action and buy a KPN! My brother has one, so I will probably just borrow that until he needs it, haha.

fishinone
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Very nice! It looks like subwalking the KPN is slaying them right now! I need to get in on the action and buy a KPN! My brother has one, so I will probably just borrow that until he needs it, haha.

Their not going steady yet but they're going off and on. Be patient and you'll get them.

I wish I had a brother, I could use a few lures.