PDA

View Full Version : Topwater KPN - walk the dog teqnique - HOW TO

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I’ll try to give you a few tips on getting the walk the dog action but there’s also a “finning” action that can be derived by reeling faster and shorter pops as well…

Both are deadly retrieval methods !

It’s not always easily described in words but better “shown” ….too bad you didn’t attend my seminars at the lagoon a week and a half ago, I really covered these methods in depth…and demonstrated what I’ll speak of here !

To walk the dog with a KPN, 99% of the action of the lure is created from the WRIST if your doing it right.

I try to teach people…..if your elbow or full arm moves a whole lot, your probably doing it wrong….

To learn this action, it’s probably best to stay true to an upright, straight out in front of you approach …..left or right action of the rod can come later once you’ve perfected the walking motion…

NOTE: I recommend a spinning pole rather than a baitcaster for this lure, a baitcaster can be used but it requires much more physical exertion to create the desired action regularly.

*Holding the rod at about roughly 9 oclock straight in front of you….

*pointed at the lures direction..

*Begin a straight semi rapid STRAIGHT retrieve with the left hand on the reel handle….

*While keeping this straight retrieve going…Begin a rapid popping motion generated from the wrist not the arm or elbow so the rod tip eratically pop’s from the 9 oclock position to roughly the 11 oclock position !

*Keep your eyes on the lure at all times and you’ll slowly develop a feel for the action required to obtain the walking of the dog action, experiment with speed, ferocity of the rod pop etc until you obtain the desired action….

*All of this I mention above if done correctly will automatically create a "tension"...."slack" "tension" slack" motion...that is what creates the walking effect.

*As mentioned in the previous post, a certain cadence will develop as the walk the dog action happens, this cadence will become your “bread and butter” of the retrieve patterning but as you get better….many times you’ll mix it up to see if you can draw a strike in otherwise dead water.

*Once you develop a feel for this, you’ll still be able to walk the dog at all sorts of rates of retrieves….

*Rule of thumb is that lighter the line the easier it will be to walk the dog but please be careful not to use too light of line or you’ll snap the lure off on a cast or Mr toad stripey will smoke your gear as well…

*10-12 lb test SEAGUAR 100% fluorocarbon is what I’d recommend, 10 is light so you’ll have to play the fish hard to land them regularly but 12lb test will reduce casting distance which can be crucial if your fishing from the shoreline.
Note: other lines can be used but that is my personal preference.

Now, furthermore you can also “fin” the lure which emulates a “finning” shad.

This is particularly effective when the fish aren’t boiling and you draw a strike off of dead water (no boiling).

*To create this “finning”action, it’s not a whole lot different than all the motions I mention above to walk the dog but the key factors and things to do differently are to:

*Retrieve more quickly (again a straight retrieve with the left hand on the spinning reel)

And

*Much more shorter and faster pops from the rod tip at only about 10 oclock sweeping to about 11 oclock.

The end result is that the lure slightly "submarines" and goes just below the surface with a fast kicking motion leaving a slight wake here and there which is what a fleeing baitfish does very often, this can be very deadly and is one of the qualities the KPN delivers that other lures seem to not.

Here is one last tip to obtain even BETTER topwater action with ANY topwater lure:
Apply some silicone flyline dressing that is made for flyfishing to your line, from the lure to about 10’ to 12’ above the lure, this will aid the line in staying afloat rather than creat a large “Bow” into the water in front of the lure.

NOTE: this is not absolutely necessary but it’s a great little trick to squeeze a little more out of your topwater lures action.

Well, print this out and study it….it’s pretty much all inclusive, work at it and perfect it, you’ll be on the fish in no time…

Good luck…
Gary

breeze71
10-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I like!

...now how about an article like.. "How not to hook yourself while boiling action is going on." ?

MichelleBedore
10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks!!!!!! :))
I'm grateful you're willing to go over this "one more time" for probably the hundredth time, hehe
Since I'm a lefty, I'm gonna reverse those directions, right? 3 o'clock and one o'clock, right?
Actually, wait; since I'm a weirdo lefty, I cut with righty scissors and throw and catch a softball ONLY with my left, etc...So I hold the rod with my left hand and retrieve with my right. Is that typical lefty holding? Assuming it is, then it's 1 and 3 'oclock for me then, right?
I don't have a KPN yet, but I have 2 other lures suitable to "walk the dog" according to the directions on the box. We're heading out right now to castaic. Hubby's hitchin up the boat---thinking no bimini top today...cloudy and cold. I guess we'll have to wake up the fish with some irresistible retrivals!

Oh, and I truly regret not going to your seminar...I keep seeing that thread and wishing I'd registered sooner and gone to it....How often do you give them?

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks!!!!!! :))
I'm grateful you're willing to go over this "one more time" for probably the hundredth time, hehe
Since I'm a lefty, I'm gonna reverse those directions, right? 3 o'clock and one o'clock, right?
Actually, wait; since I'm a weirdo lefty, I cut with righty scissors and throw and catch a softball ONLY with my left, etc...So I hold the rod with my left hand and retrieve with my right. Is that typical lefty holding? Assuming it is, then it's 1 and 3 'oclock for me then, right?
I don't have a KPN yet, but I have 2 other lures suitable to "walk the dog" according to the directions on the box. We're heading out right now to castaic. Hubby's hitchin up the boat---thinking no bimini top today...cloudy and cold. I guess we'll have to wake up the fish with some irresistible retrivals!

Oh, and I truly regret not going to your seminar...I keep seeing that thread and wishing I'd registered sooner and gone to it....How often do you give them?
Clock position does NOT change left or right handed !

Please read closely, I recomend to start out working the rod straight up and down in front of you at first, later down the line you can span off to a sideward motion,...

I guess maybe I'll try to clarify a little more, as I noted, it's not as easy to put in words than to show someone...

When I say the 9 oclock position, thats straight in front of you as if where your standing would be the 3 oclock position..

NOT facing the clock as if your looking at it on the wall, it's as if your standing on the side of the clock at the 3 oclock area ..

Basically where your reel handle and reel would be (at your waist) would be in the 3 oclock position

I hope that makes sense..

Good luck....

Again....NO CHANGE IN CLOCK POSTITION LEFT OR RIGHT....JUST CHANGE OF RETRIEVAL HANDS

sweetfish
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Gary, I like the idea of putting dry fly silicone on the line. Makes perfect sense florocarbon line sinks.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM

This is the 2nd year I've done it at Castaic Lagoon, once a year, it's a whole lot of work, I don't forsee doing them more often.

So I guess the answer is once a year

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Gary, I like the idea of putting dry fly silicone on the line. Makes perfect sense florocarbon line sinks.
NOTE:
NOT "dry fly" dressing...

"FLYLINE DRESSING" it's a little different....costs about 7 bucks and it works for flouro, mono, & copolymer

Don't apply to braid or your knot will be subject to slipping

chansen49
10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Nice write up Gary... Walking the dog is awesome when you get it going right, but does require a lil more work than most other styles..

Chris

cutbait
10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Nice "how to"

Now come up to Bako for your "how to" lesson from the Bako boyz.:Spank:

msos
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Thank a lot Garry! I had three different KPN lures but can't get it to hook up fish. This walk the dog is new to me but really interesting. I did not know that you give the seminar at lagoon; therefore; I did not attend that seminar.

ROB312t
10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I may have a defective KPN lure. No matter what I do with it, it's constantly submirged. The only time it stays on the surface is when i don't retrieve. The minute I retrieve, no matter how fast or slow, it goes below the surface. I don't have this problem with any of my other topwater lures. Does that sound like it's defective?

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I may have a defective KPN lure. No matter what I do with it, it's constantly submirged. The only time it stays on the surface is when i don't retrieve. The minute I retrieve, no matter how fast or slow, it goes below the surface. I don't have this problem with any of my other topwater lures. Does that sound like it's defective?
I Really doubt that it's defective.

you'll most likely just need to perfect your retrieval methods,

I have watched people drag the KPN straight through the water and think that it will have all the action on it's own...

Not true, it takes angler interaction to acheive proper action, much like a plastic worm when you administer movement, the lure becomes alive via the anglers hands...

Study what I've written above....
You'll REALLY need to absorb it though and practice..allot of it is a mental picture of what you want the lure to do...

I'll note that if you compare the action that of a KPN to such lures as a zara spook etc. you'll certainly find that the zara spook will get action a little easier...with less angler movement

BUT with that being said, those other lures (at least to my experience) will not slay you as many fish.

I'm not suggesting you cannot catch fish with those other lures, you certainly can.

I'm noting that the KPN lure takes more angler effort to acheive maximum action, it's not necessarily the lazy man's lure, you have to work at it but the payday is well worth the efforts...

to sum up the prize must match the challenge....

and in this case in my opinion it does.

Poll the masses that have a good idea on how to work them, they'll tell you...

Honestly, it's really not that hard at all once you wrap your head around the idea, it will all come naturally after that....

try digesting the tutorial noted above and go give it another try, it should become apparent if you really envelope yourself to the methods above....

It's not really rocket science you'll just need to put yourself in tune with the lure.

Plus if you are submarining the lure at times, that method does catch many fish as well, aside from you not acheiving the walk the dog, concerning catching fish, it may be that your simply not on active fish.

Thats about the best advice I can give : )

Hope that helps

Good luck,
Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I Really doubt that it's defective.

you'll most likely just need to perfect your retrieval methods,

I have watched people drag the KPN straight through the water and think that it will have all the action on it's own...

Not true, it takes angler interaction to acheive proper action, much like a plastic worm when you administer movement, the lure becomes alive via the anglers hands...

Study what I've written above....
You'll REALLY need to absorb it though and practice..allot of it is a mental picture of what you want the lure to do...

I'll note that if you compare the action that of a KPN to such lures as a zara spook etc. you'll certainly find that the zara spook will get action a little easier...with less angler movement

BUT with that being said, those other lures (at least to my experience) will not slay you as many fish.

I'm not suggesting you cannot catch fish with those other lures, you certainly can.

I'm noting that the KPN lure takes more angler effort to acheive maximum action, it's not necessarily the lazy man's lure, you have to work at it but the payday is well worth the efforts...

to sum up the prize must match the challenge....

and in this case in my opinion it does.

Poll the masses that have a good idea on how to work them, they'll tell you...

Honestly, it's really not that hard at all once you wrap your head around the idea, it will all come naturally after that....

try digesting the tutorial noted above and go give it another try, it should become apparent if you really envelope yourself to the methods above....

It's not really rocket science you'll just need to put yourself in tune with the lure.

Plus if you are submarining the lure at times, that method does catch many fish as well, aside from you not acheiving the walk the dog, concerning catching fish, it may be that your simply not on active fish.

Thats about the best advice I can give : )

Hope that helps

Good luck,
Gary

P.S.
also make sure your not running extremely heavy line

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice "how to"

Now come up to Bako for your "how to" lesson from the Bako boyz.:Spank:
Alright Mike...I'm ready to come out there for my "Carp" lesson !

dixoncider
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
THanks for the info. I was thinking about asking this exact question..

stg68
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Alright Mike...I'm ready to come out there for my "Carp" lesson !

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?48091-Huge-Carp-landed-at-the-Goon

If you, guys, need to know how to ... with the 7" SENKO , let me know.:Razz::Razz::Razz::Razz::Razz:

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?48091-Huge-Carp-landed-at-the-Goon

If you, guys, need to know how to ... with the 7" SENKO , let me know.:Razz::Razz::Razz::Razz::Razz:

LMAO !

I don't think the bako batallion has ever dealt with anything even 6" (draw ur own conclusions -heh heh heh...)

Woooo-hooo....

I'm gunnin for ya Mike (cutbait) I'll be parking a car in the duct near ya'll soon...

Ha ha ha ha

stg68
10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
LMAO !

I don't think the bako batallion has ever dealt with anything even 6" (draw ur own conclusions -heh heh heh...)

Woooo-hooo....

I'm gunnin for ya Mike (cutbait) I'll be parking a car in the duct near ya'll soon...

Ha ha ha ha

well , 5"- 6" Corn kernels may work too........

stg68
10-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Any way, very good info , Gary:Secret::Secret::Razz::Razz::Razz:

MonsterGuppy
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Great info gary thanks for taking some time to shair,, 2 thumbs up :)

trail blazer
10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
LMAO !

Woooo-hooo....

Ha ha ha ha

ooooooo REALLY,

I Beleave this lives in BAKO

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/carlysimps/100_2879.jpg

TRAIL BLAZER

MichelleBedore
10-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Well, I walked the Dog! It worked just like ya said it would! You're right---you really do have to get in tune with the lure. Even with the directions in my mind backwards, within a few minutes I figured it out and the lil heddon spook was zig zaging happily across the suface. It does take some coordinating to watch, take up the line slack, tilt/tip the rod appropriately, but once you get the idea it's actually pretty easy. Thanks for explaining the wrist action..I kept catching myself starting to get more arm action but then quickly saved the "walk" by smoothing it back out with the wrist. I tried to get a KPN topwater lure--the one everyone's always raving about, but they were all out over at Galleons by Castaic. That teenaged girl in there was so sweet and helpful--she catches fish all the time with her dad, who owns the shop.

radray
10-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Gary,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation bro. I hope you are compiling all of your tips in case you want to write a book in the future. Very good materials. Hope to see you in the lake again soon.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, I walked the Dog! It worked just like ya said it would! You're right---you really do have to get in tune with the lure.

and the lil heddon spook was zig zaging happily across the suface.

It does take some coordinating to watch, take up the line slack, tilt/tip the rod appropriately, but once you get the idea it's actually pretty easy. .

AhhhhhKha !

yes yes.....very nice..

Makes me happy to you that you got it...

Won't be long now till you hook up....

sounds like U got the right idea...

Now U just have to find the active fish..

Good luck,
Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation bro. I hope you are compiling all of your tips in case you want to write a book in the future. Very good materials. Hope to see you in the lake again soon.

I'm am already writing a book : )

a couple months into it now : )

merkopac
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
If you dont already know how to walk the dog then you would probably be better off learning with a more balanced topwater like a Heddon Super Spook,Lucky Craft Sammy or Gunfish,River2sea Rover,or a Pencil Popper $5 and the easiest bait to walk there is.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
If you dont already know how to walk the dog then you would probably be better off learning with a more balanced topwater like a Heddon Super Spook,Lucky Craft Sammy or Gunfish,River2sea Rover,or a Pencil Popper $5 and the easiest bait to walk there is.
yes but were talking about the KPN here, those lures will catch fish but are not as effective in my opinion

merkopac
10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Not as effective?Those lures I named are used by the best pros in the world,crafted,designed,and tested by the best bait makers and pros around the world,but you would say that Kahn's sanded down closet dowel is better?Maybe for you its about using your buddys bait or coming on here and trying to sell it for him,but to say its more effective for catching fish than the baits I named is just wrong

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Not as effective?Those lures I named are used by the best pros in the world,crafted,designed,and tested by the best bait makers and pros around the world,but you would say that Kahn's sanded down closet dowel is better?Maybe for you its about using your buddys bait or coming on here and trying to sell it for him,but to say its more effective for catching fish than the baits I named is just wrong
Well 1st off, the point of this thread was to instruct those who did not know how to walk the dog with the lure specified in the title of the thread.

That is what it's about,

sorry if your not paying attention and still hold a grudge for other things not related to this thread.
Thats your issue not mine...

well I can tell you...... my not so called friend.... that I have no hidden agenda as you suggest at all and if you must really know, things would be much easier for me NOT to help my fellow anglers and just fish on.... but that's not my way, I try to help others, you should try it once in a while...

I'll add that I don't need to sell Khanh's lures, they sell themselves and their track records speak for themselves, I've fished all of the lures you mention side by side and tested things, those are my findings, time and time again, it will outfish them 3 to 1....

Poll the anglers using them....

ACTUALLY using them, they will speak for themselves as well.

they catch fish....

They catch fish regularly..

Draw whatever conclusion you wish, it's your choice but while you sit and speculate, I am catching more fish on them..

what are you suggesting ? that every other angler that has caught fish on these lures is trying to sell them as well...

Hmnnnn....More resentment !

even ever since Khanh pulled his lures from your shop for you dissing them way back then...

Crawl back under your rock and mind ur own bee'swax if your not going to help anyone else cause all I ever see on this site from you is negative matters anyway...

post up some catches or actually help another if you can see outside yourself for a minute instead of being selfish...

I'll say it again, it IS more effective and that has been proven, maybe not by you because your too closed minded and holding a grudge to allow yourself to use them.

man your kind still never ceases to amaze me, quite a pc of work you are....

Wow....

Impressive input

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 01:57 PM

:!!!:
LOl...stuff I've been collecting over the years, slowly but surely. The super spook was one I recently bought because the only topwater lures I THOUGHT I had were some poppers. The spook is what I used to try the walk the dog tequnique. There's one othe rlure I have in that box that you can walk the dog with, but I forgot which one it is! I'll have to check the little white papers under the lures where I wrote notes on each lure's application. Can ya tell I'm a tad OCD about fishin'??!! :EyePop:

trail blazer
10-06-2010, 02:08 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25891&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1286398462 (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25891&d=1286398462)

Was that a POCKET FISHERMAN burried down in that box???

ooooooYAAAAAAAAAA,,,,NICEEEEEEEE

TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
10-06-2010, 02:26 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25891&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1286398462 (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25891&d=1286398462)

TRAIL BLAZER

It looks like one to me. That thing has to be a collectors item. Wonder what it's worth.

I caught a fish on one of those that I borrowed one time. 1 lb LMB, if I remember correctly.

fishsniffin
10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey Gary, since it's alot harder for some of these guys to walk the KPN. Should you suggest that they use MONO or BRAID instead of %100 Flourocarbon. I understand it's your personal preference with the flyline dressing and all but I think it would be easier for a beginner with maybe 10-12lb mono. No desrespect towards you and your teachings? It's just a thought.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Gary, since it's alot harder for some of these guys to walk the KPN. Should you suggest that they use MONO or BRAID instead of %100 Flourocarbon. I understand it's your personal preference with the flyline dressing and all but I think it would be easier for a beginner with maybe 10-12lb mono. No desrespect towards you and your teachings? It's just a thought.
Thats a good question but theres nothing wrong with Mono either, the reason I suggest the flouro revolves around a couple things, strength to line diameter...

Obviously stronger the line the better right ? yes

But line diameter makes a huge difference in castability, even from a boat to make sure your able to cast to the strike zone, thats basically why I recomend flouro....small line diameter and ultimate strength for that smaller diameter..

For years I used mono and theres nothing wrong with that, it's simply thicker diameter and a bit weaker.

Mono will do you fine if your getting the castabilty you seek out of it, you see there are actual reasons I mention what I mention but I totally realize that the flouro aint cheap (gods knows I am reminded of that painfully each time I re-spool)

Line diameter surely plays part in visibility as well which can be a huge difference.

Now regarding braid: I am slowly becoming a larger fan of it and use it in the bakersfield aqueduct almost religiously and I have tried it a handfull of times with my topwaters with success but I cannot proclaim to be an expert regarding braid and topwater yet as I have only used it for that purpose a handfull of times.

By all means, I'll remind you that anything I mention here is not law, it's simply what works for me, try things out, experiment, thats how you find your own nich and flare...

try them out and see how you like them, it's all about how YOU feel the line is performing at the end of the day.

I've tried scores of different lines and most of them have their place in the larger picture...

As for the flouro sinking more, this may or may not be true but I have not noted that myself but it does seem to make sense theoretically.

The flyline dressing trick will apply to all the lines but I wouldn't recomend it on the braid.

No disrespect taken, you should be thinking out of the box, that's how we learn and perfect things : )
Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-06-2010, 03:16 PM

P.S.
I'll point out that you don't absolutely HAVE to use flyline dressing, in fact, I have not used it this year at all....not since last season but it accents the action your getting, it's a wonderfull trick

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 04:40 PM

TRAIL BLAZER

Yesirreeeeeee! hehehe..good eye!!

MichelleBedore
10-06-2010, 04:55 PM
It looks like one to me. That thing has to be a collectors item. Wonder what it's worth.

I caught a fish on one of those that I borrowed one time. 1 lb LMB, if I remember correctly.

I bought that at Goowill Thrift store about a year ago for like $5.99; it came with the instructions in the hook compartment too! I had one as a kid. You can still get them all day long on ebay...pretty cheaply too..check it out;
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=popeil+pocket+fisherman&_sacat=0&_odkw=pocket+fisherman&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

fishinone
10-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I bought that at Goowill Thrift store about a year ago for like $5.99; it came with the instructions in the hook compartment too! I had one as a kid. You can still get them all day long on ebay...pretty cheaply too..check it out;
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=popeil+pocket+fisherman&_sacat=0&_odkw=pocket+fisherman&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

That's a little rich for my blood!:Razz:

fishsniffin
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM
P.S.
I'll point out that you don't absolutely HAVE to use flyline dressing, in fact, I have not used it this year at all....not since last season but it accents the action your getting, it's a wonderfull trick

Wow, I can't imagine myself throwing Flourocarbon on any kind of walk-baits because you really have to be on point and very precise as to when to twitch the bait and carefully watch the slack to make it walk right. I've done flouro before on top-water but do not prefer it due to line sinking since I like to pause my baits. The fact that it is topwater, using braid or bigger mono shouldn't be a problem (but it's just my personal preference, I sacrafrice alittle more distance for easier wrist motion which equals less fatigue...LOL), everything else i use is flouro, but as you mention, at the end of the day it's what works for you and most comfortable with.

The only point I tried to make was that: for a beginner I would think that using mono would be easier and cheaper until they are familiar with the walking baits, then switch over to Flouro as they progress. Castability, Sensativety, Strength and Low Vision is definitely a plus when using flourocarbon. Thanks Gary.

MichelleBedore
10-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I had 20 lb flourocarbon (yeah, I know, lol) hooked to the spook lure. The flourocarbon line was indeed cumbersome, and about 1/4 of the casts, the line uh...just flew off the reel like a spring and made a big fat mess. I finessed it a littler better over an hour or so and that's when we relocated and I put on the heddon spook to try the "walk the dog" . Tomorrow, I'm gonna use my lighter rod, which has 6 lb p-line mono with a about 15 ft. of 8 lb seaguar flourocarbon.
I think I have the motion down, just want to smooth it out. Using the lighter line will be easier, eh? Maybe I'll catch a fish if I quit trying for TOO BIG of fish! :Embarrassed: