PDA

View Full Version : 10/03/10 Upper Lake

Optimist
10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I was at the lake on Sunday morning 7:30am. Before I went to the lake, I stepped by the "Gallion's Corner" and bought the last KPN 4" shad. It was my first time to try out the top water lure, and I had no idea how to make the "walk the dog" movement. However, I watched some video clips from youtube. So, I tied the KPN to the line and walk down to the shore line. I saw the fish was biting something on the water surface and made the circle water waves. I think that it is call boils? not sure. But I am sure it is a big fish.

I was excited to see those boils next to the launching docks. So, I through the KPN far enough to behind the circle waves. Then, I start reeling the KPN. However, it was hard to make "walk the dog" at that point because all I know is reeling and tips at the same time. After several casts, the boils stopped. But, I still keep practicing walk the dog move. Until I felt a little bit better for doing the new technique, I start walking down to the right side.

I found another active cove after about 30 mins. I saw the fish jumping out of the water eating the shad here and there. However, I didn't see them clearly what kind of fish was biting. Whatever, it is my second trial. I cannot miss this chance. So, I start casting my new KPN and keep reeling it. The fish action last for more then 30 mins. It stopped after the sun light gets into the cove. But within this 30 mins, I didn't get any fish bite. I think I must did something wrong. Maybe I did not do walk the dog move well or as the other angler told me those fish are LMB. I should try plastic lure rather than KPN. :Confused: I have seen the report people getting LMB with KPN all the time. So, I believe if I use the lure right. They will still bite it.

I called it a day around 12:30. All in all, it just another skunk day for me. I will try it next time. Hopefully, I will get them next time.

Thanks for reading.

MichelleBedore
10-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi Optimist. Thanks for your post....it's a relief to know I'm not the only one who hasn't "walked the dog" yet! I watched you tube videos also, hoping to learn how. It something you get better at with practice, like anyting. I don't have a KPN lure, but I want one---esp. since everyone's always beating their gums about them. Until then, I have some other lures to try with. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about each fish's behavior. You know, like what types of food they like, what time of day/weather, etc they like to feed in. And knowing what will make a fish want to bite even when he's not hungry is quite advantageous. Fishing is like a great big TEASE.

radray
10-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Optimist,

To do the "walk the dog" technique, tighten the line a bit and gently tug and go back to original position to slacken up the line. The key is getting the cadence right. Also when throwing to the boil a perfect walk the dog action is often not necessary. I personally have been hit using various cadences. You can try tug, tug and pause or just tug, tug, tug,... you can tug gently or hard. Doing what I tell you will impart action on the lure. Often erratic movements just like fleeing baitfish. Hope that helps. If you throw the lure enough and watch how it reacts to your movements you will soon discover the cadence that works. Hope that helps.

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Optimist: I’ll try to give you a few tips on getting the walk the dog action but there’s also a “finning” action that can be derived by reeling faster and shorter pops as well…

Both are deadly retrieval methods !

It’s not always easily described in words but better “shown” ….too bad you didn’t attend my seminars at the lagoon a week and a half ago, I really covered these methods in depth…and demonstrated what I’ll speak of here !

To walk the dog with a KPN, 99% of the action of the lure is created from the WRIST if your doing it right.

I try to teach people…..if your elbow or full arm moves a whole lot, your probably doing it wrong….

To learn this action, it’s probably best to stay true to an upright, straight out in front of you approach …..left or right action of the rod can come later once you’ve perfected the walking motion…

NOTE: I recommend a spinning pole rather than a baitcaster for this lure, a baitcaster can be used but it requires much more physical exertion to create the desired action regularly.

*Holding the rod at about roughly 9 oclock straight in front of you….

*pointed at the lures direction..

*Begin a straight semi rapid STRAIGHT retrieve with the left hand on the reel handle….

*While keeping this straight retrieve going…Begin a rapid popping motion generated from the wrist not the arm or elbow so the rod tip eratically pop’s from the 9 oclock position to roughly the 11 oclock position !

*Keep your eyes on the lure at all times and you’ll slowly develop a feel for the action required to obtain the walking of the dog action, experiment with speed, ferocity of the rod pop etc until you obtain the desired action….

*All of this I mention above if done correctly will automatically create a "tension"...."slack" "tension" slack" motion...that is what creates the walking effect.

*As mentioned in the previous post, a certain cadence will develop as the walk the dog action happens, this cadence will become your “bread and butter” of the retrieve patterning but as you get better….many times you’ll mix it up to see if you can draw a strike in otherwise dead water.

*Once you develop a feel for this, you’ll still be able to walk the dog at all sorts of rates of retrieves….

*Rule of thumb is that lighter the line the easier it will be to walk the dog but please be careful not to use too light of line or you’ll snap the lure off on a cast or Mr toad stripey will smoke your gear as well…

*10-12 lb test SEAGUAR 100% fluorocarbon is what I’d recommend, 10 is light so you’ll have to play the fish hard to land them regularly but 12lb test will reduce casting distance which can be crucial if your fishing from the shoreline.
Note: other lines can be used but that is my personal preference.

Now, furthermore you can also “fin” the lure which emulates a “finning” shad.

This is particularly effective when the fish aren’t boiling and you draw a strike off of dead water (no boiling).

*To create this “finning”action, it’s not a whole lot different than all the motions I mention above to walk the dog but the key factors and things to do differently are to:

*Retrieve more quickly (again a straight retrieve with the left hand on the spinning reel)

And

*Much more shorter and faster pops from the rod tip at only about 10 oclock sweeping to about 11 oclock.

The end result is that the lure slightly "submarines" and goes just below the surface with a fast kicking motion leaving a slight wake here and there which is what a fleeing baitfish does very often, this can be very deadly and is one of the qualities the KPN delivers that other lures seem to not.

Here is one last tip to obtain even BETTER topwater action with ANY topwater lure:
Apply some silicone flyline dressing that is made for flyfishing to your line, from the lure to about 10’ to 12’ above the lure, this will aid the line in staying afloat rather than creat a large “Bow” into the water in front of the lure.

NOTE: this is not absolutely necessary but it’s a great little trick to squeeze a little more out of your topwater lures action.

Well, print this out and study it….it’s pretty much all inclusive, work at it and perfect it, you’ll be on the fish in no time…

Good luck…
Gary

kill_obet
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
hmmm....time to get some sammy 100 maybe..?

Optimist
10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for radray and gletemfeelsteelgary. Your tips about the Walk the dog are very helpful. I will try and practice more on the coming long weekend (Columbus Day).