PDA

View Full Version : Jiggin with it...need new style

BufordT9
10-03-2010, 12:35 AM
So I have been skunked pretty much all season! I caught 3 bows, 1 bass. ALL SEASON LONG. I only fished about 15 times. OUCH. I fish all different lakes. I try to fish structure. So I have resorted to new methods of fishing from the shore, besides my usual slip power bait rig.

So I have moved to jigs. Mini jigs, because I primarily fish for trout and anything that will bite down on a trout lure.

So I guess I am asking for some help here. What am I doing wrong when I jig from the shore? I cast out, let it hit the bottom, twitch the rod a few times, reel in, twitch, reel. Stop. Repeat. Am I missing something here?

This is the same way I would reel in a Kastmaster or Roostertail. Wrong or Right?

Is my slip weighting style the wrong thing to use? I have tried split shots too.

What am I doing wrong here? I need to catch more fish!!

Ahh..

Any advice is appreciated.

:EyePop:

Matt44
10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
fish with more people and you will learn the tricks of the trade your more than welcome to fish when i go out i plan on hittin corona alot this year had a great year there last

matt44

BufordT9
10-03-2010, 01:21 AM
fish with more people and you will learn the tricks of the trade your more than welcome to fish when i go out i plan on hittin corona alot this year had a great year there last

matt44

Matt! Im down! Let me know when you are going out!!!

Trout 1
10-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Hey bud im kinda comeing in late but shoot me a PM i will give u some basics on mini jiging!!

Trout 1
Andrew

AngryAgent
10-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Jigging is methodical. You have to find a rhythm. You have to find the right depth, you have to find the right retrieve rate, you have to find the right sized lead head (weight), you have to find the right color, you have to throw your jig into an area with trout in it. Are you fishing lakes that have recently been stocked? Sight fishing with jigs is also a good way to learn.

As with any kind of fishing you must pay attention to what you're doing. Try letting it sink to the bottom and then retrieve at a certain speed, if that doesn't work then try a different speed retrieve, if that doesn't work then try a different depth by counting when your jig hits the water-if you get hit remember how many seconds you counted because that is probably the depth the fish are hanging out in. Focus on what you're doing and try your best to remember what you did when you get a hit or catch a fish. Attention to detail is why some guys catch tons of fish and others don't. There are so many ways to skin a cat, just like there are many variables that you must try until you find out what is the preferred method the fish are after. It doesn't happen over night but keep at it and you'll be fine. Sounds like its not because you're not trying. It's also very early in the season for trout and I don't think too many local lakes are yet up to speed. Don't be too hard on ourself and have fun that's the most important thing of all:Envious: