PDA

View Full Version : Duct Was Electrifying

yolo
10-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Decided to take the scenic route home from my shop. Since I have not fished the far west side in quite some time, I thought to myself that I would start far west and work my way home at several spots. That was the plan but I get to the first spot after going through a downpour on I-5. I get out and there is no rain where I am but thunder and lightning in the distance. I grab my 2 rods and throw the backpack on and want to start making the walk along the duct. I immediately notice that one of my rods is making a weird sound. It sounds like the humming you hear from high voltage power lines. I lower the tip and it goes away. I slowly raise it back up vertical and it is humming again. I have never experienced this before. I lay that rod down and grab the rod that was in my belt and hold that and it does the same thing. I'm thinking there is no lightning around me it's way off in the distance but it is cloudy. I walk to the water and make a few casts. I get a good zap, kind of like a static electricity shot in a home. I say forget this and get my arse back in the car.

I drive to avoid the clouds and find a spot with none. The sun is now down and getting darker. No pole humming and buzzing here so I decide to work the area. There for like 15 minutes and nothing but it starts to rain lightly. The thunder is getting louder and the lightning off in the distance is dancing horizontally and putting on quite a show. I keep heading east towards home and wanted to stop again but it is pouring. I decide to call it a day as things were not going my way and didn't want to be out there solo in all that bad weather. As I am driving towards home, it clears and my stubborn self tells me to stop at a nearby spot. I pull in and work that for like 10 minutes and nothing. I didn't want to venture too far from the car. I now made my mind up that it's not happening and better to put it off for another day.

So I ended up with a white stripe but not a great effort. No flow coming into Quail but water was going out from what I saw driving by it. Once at the first spot, the gates were wide open in the AV section. Water was up fairly high. They are moving a lot of water. Moss seemed quite a bit better. Either the cloud cover or the higher water level or both have blocked some light penetration imo and the moss is dying off. You still got moss on the lure but nothing like on Tuesday when I caught the DD. Amazing what a few days can do. I still give it a few weeks before it all clears up.

Can't always post the catches. Gotta post some skunks too.

trail blazer
10-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Same weather patterns up here yolo ,,,,,,,,,,,,WAS working at 1,30am this morn out by taft and it was T,STORMING pretty good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rain,d hard just before daylight,,lightning too!

BE CAREFULL OUT THERE.

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
10-03-2010, 07:33 AM
I think it was a good move to move from the first spot that was exciting and charging my rods. Oddly enough, one of them was a Berkley Lightning Rod. How's that for irony. I wonder if would have had a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock series what would have happened? :Shocked:

trail blazer
10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
I think it was a good move to move from the first spot that was exciting and charging my rods. Oddly enough, one of them was a Berkley Lightning Rod. How's that for irony. I wonder if would have had a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock series what would have happened? :Shocked:

LOL.

Chk out the BAKO UPDATE,,,,,,,,,,,,posting it now

fishinone
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Yolo,

What a glowing report.

I'm happy to hear that your still with us.

yolo
10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah I like Metallica's "Seek and Destroy" attitude for the duct. That day it turned out to be their "Ride the Lightning", lol.

Lipripper93561
10-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Was flying RC airplanes before a thunderstorm and had the same thing happend with the transmitter hummed loud as heck, the static forced the tx in charge mode, and I had to keep touching the antenna to discharge the unit as I was flying it back, lessoned learned on that one. Hit the west side yesterday along with Quail lake, east side of the lake for nada, tons of salad in the water.

CL SmooV
10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Yolo,

Your reports are top knotch. Please dont get struck now!!!!!!

Bums like me need your reports.

Good thing you left.