PDA

View Full Version : ODC 420 Question

Manuel
10-02-2010, 09:14 AM
First post here, looks like a good community. Thanks for having me. I live in the OC and fish the salt: Newport, Alamitos, LBC.

Now, my question:

I recently bought the ODC 420 after being w/o a tube for 5 or so years. My first tube was a Nav II or IV?, the one for fat people.

The ODC feels stable and well made. I've been out in it 4 or so times.

Every time out I get the same rash or chafing on the underside of my legs, behind my knees. It seems as if the seat bottom is too long and my legs don't extend out far enough from the seating surface. BTW, I am 6' tall, so its not a short fat guy issue.

Has anybody had similar experiences. And, better yet, is there a fix?

I'm thinking I may need some kind of backrest between me and the boat's backrest. Maybe I'm not inflating the boat enough?

Any help, suggestions appreciated.

Fire Ball
10-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Hmm, I have a friend that is about 6' tall too and he has no issues with his ODC 420. Maybe it is your waders? If it isn't, try adjusting the seat, or inflate the tube more if you don't think that it is inflated enough.

Manuel
10-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks Fire Ball,

I figured out the seat adjustment issue after my first time out. It was hella uncomfortable. Now, its dialed in.

I think its the inflation, I'm gonna inflate her just a little more 'til she blows or I stop getting rashes.

Thanks,
Manuel

CPT. Kirk
10-03-2010, 01:27 PM
What type of waders do you wear my guess is, it's the waders. You may want to try to wear something underneath the waders like a pair of sweats or something maybe long shorts that cover the knees.

Manuel
10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm wearing some old neoprene Hodgemans. I used these same waders with my Caddis Navigator and never had a problem.

The more I think about it, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm leaning back in the tube too far.

When I kick, my fins end up real close to the surface and many times break the surface. I think that means the seat surface is not parrallel to the water.

I have the backrest set correctly, I think. It's gotta be the air in the bladders?

Maybe I'l try and hook up with somebody here to get it dialed in correctly.

Manuel

smokehound
10-04-2010, 11:52 PM
sounds like my kind of tube ;)

basssturd
10-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Definitly would be a backrest adjustment , I believe if you sinch your straps as much as you can without pushing you off the seat , this will uncomfortable at first , but it will form to you . ODC 420 owner for six years. GOOD LUCK...

AngryAgent
10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Stop peeing in your waders:Envious: and rash be gone!

Seriously though how long are your sessions? My first suggestion would be to get some breathable waders instead of the ones you have, you won't sweat as much making less friction which in turn should slow your rash down.

When you pump up your tube you should be able to press your thumb into it a 1/4 inch, if you can push it farther then you need to pump it up some more and if you can't you need to let some air out. I don't think the inflation is the problem I think it's probably your waders.

Manuel
10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks, I think?

It was an inflation issue.

I pumped it up 'til the bladders felt nice and tight. I fished for 4 or so hours and no rash. What a relief!!

The thing is that there is not pressure gauge on the pump nor any indication of proper pressure from the mfg. Only a warning on the tube not to overinflate.

Now, I just got some Albright breathable waders in the mail. All I need to do is learn to fish.

Thanks Again,
Manuel

LBSea
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I had a Navigator before going to an ODC420 and I know exactly what you are talking about. The problem or not is that you sit much higher in the water in the ODC and your legs actually hang over the seat where as the navigator puts you much lower in the water and your legs are actually floating and sticking out straighter. Get yourself some thin thermals or get better waders. The neoprene waders are like wearing a wet suit vs good pair of breathable waders that feel like your favorite pajamas.

Good luck and tight lines.

Rastavyb
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Buy some wader liners. Cabella's has them for about twenty bucks. I own the fleece pair and have been happy with them.