PDA

View Full Version : 2 for 3 on da BFT!!!

Ambassadorhawg
10-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Got home late last night from San Diego. Fished on the New Lo An with a fairly crowded group of 27 passengers.

Fishing was tough overall. We only went out about 40 miles and joined the armada made up of about 10 sportboats and 20 private boats. It was basically a postage stamp area for the boats, all jammed together in the morning.

Nothing underneath us when dawn began to break so we started trolling and looking for meter marks. We found several, some would boil a little bit on our chum, some would not. Finally while it was still early, one guy got bit but he lost the fish. Then not long after that, on another stop, 3 of us got bit including myself and all 3 of us dumped the fish! Doooh! I hate using light line and small hooks!!!! I pulled the hook out of mine....

Then it got real quiet....Very late in the morning, we found a nice sonar mark and this fish wanted to play a bit. It came up and boiled pretty close to us over and over. But it was BFT and you know how picky those things are. I think we got 7 or 8 out of that stop. I got 2 myself, both about 20 pounds. I got worked really hard on them too. I was afraid to pul real hard for fear of pulling the hook out again so I let the fish fight until they were ready to give up. The first fish was gut hooked and I can't believe it stayed hooked! It took about 15 minutes to land. Did I mention that I hate using small hooks and light line???

The second fish was foul hooked in the throat and that turkey took close to 30 minutes to land since it had leverage on me. Have I mentioned that I hate using small hooks and light line yet???

I know BFT are picky, picky, picky. I had heard that 20 lb test fluoro and #2 hooks were getting bit so that is how I came prepared. If I woulda felt comfortable fishing bigger hooks and heavier line and gotten hooked up, those fish would have been on the boat FAST.

I feel that the pulled hook, gut hook and foul hook are all due to using tiny hooks on what we had which was basically 8"-12" sardines.

Anyway, the weather was beautiful, the group of guys was great, the crew worked VERY hard for us and the skipper stayed out there extra late to get try to get more fish on the boat. The skipper was Travis this trip out.

We ended up with 16 BFT and one bigger Albie which won the JP. Some boats did better, some did worse.

Enjoy the pictures!

Ifishtoolittle
10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
That's a good creel of fish you got there considering the slow action. What kind of hooks were you using for it to pull on 20lb? One more thing do fish that are foul hooked or snagged count towards the JP?

russ88
10-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the report. Great job landing them on light line and small hooks. I would have broke down and pulled hard after a 5 minutes. lol Did you guys hit any paddys???

murrieta angler
10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Very nice Hawg!
Good job realizing the changes that needed to be made to land the other 2.
That's all I hear lately, in regards to the small hooks and line.
Thanks for a nice report and pics,
Robert

Ambassadorhawg
10-02-2010, 03:07 PM
That's a good creel of fish you got there considering the slow action. What kind of hooks were you using for it to pull on 20lb? One more thing do fish that are foul hooked or snagged count towards the JP?

I was using #2 hooks which really are too small for 8"-12" sardines but I did get more bites than most others.

Ambassadorhawg
10-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the report. Great job landing them on light line and small hooks. I would have broke down and pulled hard after a 5 minutes. lol Did you guys hit any paddys???

We hit several paddys, some big ones, too. Nobody home on any of them...

JapanRon
10-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Ambassadorhawg,

Nice goin' !! BFT sashimi Yum !

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
10-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I was using #2 hooks which really are too small for 8"-12" sardines but I did get more bites than most others.

I see which brand? If they were owners then something is strange here.

Ambassadorhawg
10-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I see which brand? If they were owners then something is strange here.

Nah, not Owners. Eagle Claw.....I'm old school.....I've had these around for years. I shoulda used tuna type circle hooks....

Seņor.Chilax
10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
You went home with 2 fish out of the 17 caught, and out of 27 guys, that's a great day out on the water.