PDA

View Full Version : Rpt Thurs. 09-30-10 A Tuna Holiday!

Tunaslam
10-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Fishing Thursday 09-30-10
So I couldn’t stand it any longer and jumped on the overnight trip on the Sport Boat Holiday, fishing on Thursday, 09-30-10. Fishing on the Sport Boat Holiday for the first time in many many years, I can still remember fishing with Steve Griffin, and Dave Williams, and others in the good old days, way back yonder.

Fishing on a private boat has many advantages, however, when there are no troll fish, and most fish are either by eyeball or on the fish finder, as well as needing to chum heavily to keep the fish around the boat, few private boats can be successful in this kind of fishing?

The boat left the dock, just before 10pm, with 26 excited anglers. They had killed the Tuna on Wednesday, and we all thought our timing was terrific! The sardines were sensational.

The flat calm seas and warmer water provided ideal conditions for fishing the Tuna on a slow drift on Wednesday. Instead of the previous day’s grease calm and sunny conditions, we woke up to fog and a stiff breeze of 8 to 10 knots, which built to 10-12 knots by 8am. At grey light, the captain announced we had Tuna under the boat, but they were deep, at 100 to 120 feet. So I grabbed my jig stick, with a Chrome and Blue lure attached, and let it fall down over 100’. I Yo Yoed the jig back up and repeated the process a number of times. Then on the whine in, as I was some 30’ from the surface, I got bit. Fresh one, as the fish ran from the bow where I was fishing, to the stern, a number of other anglers got bit. I landed a 10 pound Yellowfin Tuna.

Out of about ten hook ups, the rest of the passengers landed one Yellowfin and one Bluefin Tuna, to 20 pounds. I never got bit on bait; despite using 15 pound test line most of the time. Some folks were using twelve pound line, and didn’t get bit. Of course the jackpot fish was caught on a rent rod, and 25 pound line, later in the day. We ended the day with only five Tuna. Trolled and trolled, no troll fish all day, stopped on plenty of meter marks, mostly very deep, over 100’ feet. Slid in on breaking Tuna, had them crashing around the boat a number of times, and virtually no bites, they simply were off the chew! Most of the fleet had a down day as well, and the beat goes on for an erratic year of fishing, and more wind than anyone could ever not want! It became drop dead gorgeous in the afternoon, so they will probably whack them today?
Was great to sleep in a bunk, not have to pull a night watch, wake up to the fresh scent of Hot Coffee and Bacon cooking on the grill! The crew and Captain worked hard, I met some fellow Bloody Decker’s, and we shared fish stories. Also the 2nd Captain was Jack who I have never met, however, he knew from the message boards and various exchanges of information when he owned a 31’ Bertram years ago, also was a Bloody Decker. Although disappointed, I still had a good time. Always fun to meet new and old fishermen.

Hook up!
Cory

E.A.R.G.
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
GOOD JOB on the YFT!
I'll take that any day!
Have yet to catch me any species of tuna, hopefully soon...

fishinone
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Congrats on Yellow Fin. Where's the wasabi?

DockRat
10-01-2010, 05:52 PM
WTG Cory showing the youngsters what season it is with a http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww137/GoFenris/FootballTabLogo.gif YFT :Thumbs Up:
DR

JapanRon
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Kinda wierd to be fishing the big boats again I'll bet !! WTG on the Tuna. One's better than none !

JapanRon

murrieta angler
10-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Good Job Cory!
At least you did get the one.
I read yesterdays report that the 3/4 day boat, San Diego, pulled in 45 BFT for 9 guys...it's a gamble for sure this year!
Robert