PDA

View Full Version : Torry Pines w/ a new friend....9/28/2010

murrieta angler
09-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I'd seen a post response from Dan (swank909) that said why didn't I ask him to go fishing last Saturday?
So I shot him a PM and said let's head out Tuesday. He responded back the same day, Monday, and we made plans to hit up Torrey Pines for some halibut yesterday...:Smile:
Welllll, that was the plan but the hali's were having none of that business...:Rolls Eyes:

Dan was at my house at 5:00 a.m. sharp and we were on the road at 5:05. We stopped off for gas and a few kibbles and the next thing you know we were at the beach at 5:55! Gray light was just starting to come through the clouds as we were setting up our gear.
The weather was supposed to be in the mid 80's, slightly cloudy, high tide at 11:52, water temps hovering around 64-65, waves 6-8 from NNW and swells 3-4 every 12-16 seconds. In actuallity the outside temp never got above 73 and it was mostly cloudy, but still an excellent day for fishing...:Big Grin:
We started tossing the LC's and worked our way South, towards Blacks Beach. It was pretty dismal for the first 2 1/2 hours with only a couple of taps from the fish. As the day was progressing the salad started get thicker by the minute.
It wasn't until 8:30 when I got the skunk off my back with this lil guy,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0928000821.jpg

When Dan saw the BSP he decided to switch up his outfit and throw on some "Red Crack" for the perches...:Wink: It was another 2 hours before Dan got his 1st BSP ever...

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/hunsfriendandmyfish002.jpg

Way To Go Dan!!!

About 15 minutes before Dan caught his first fish I did hook up to a halibut, it came unbuttoned, grabbed the bait again, but let go and then gave me a tail wave goodbye...:mad: It was probably only 12-14 inches, judging from it's tail, but I should have landed the darn thing...:Embarrassed:
We checked out quite a few spots and we now have some good ones for the perches.

totals for each of us;

Dan- 6 BSP (1 at least 10")

Me- 4 or 5 BSP & 2 Walleye's

numerous lost!

Thanks for the read,

Robert
<><

DR, got a special nudie picture for you from Blacks Beach. check your PM

Wingnut
09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
I remember playing golf on the South course at Torrey Pines a couple years back. Looking over those cliffs at the beach and thinking to myself I'd rather be down there casting in the surf than up here swinging a golf club. :LOL: Never did get a chance to fish that area, looks really fishy though. :Idea: Swells picking back up a bit this week... time to hit the fresh. :Wink:
Thanks for the report Robert. :Cool:

gavin310
09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Wait a sec... so the little halibut came unbuttoned, then went back for your bait????? What a brave little bugger....

Swank909
09-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks again for the invite Robert, had a great time! Got a new species and a new Pb, they just kept getting bigger after that first dink. Sucked big time when that Hali came unbuttoned. May that LC rest in peace.

DockRat
09-30-2010, 06:07 AM
DR, got a special nudie picture for you from Blacks Beach. check your PM

Oh Yah, Great Pic http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/1sm329rainbow.gif

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/Spiewak/0622081308a.jpg

murrieta angler
09-30-2010, 07:03 AM
I remember playing golf on the South course at Torrey Pines a couple years back. Looking over those cliffs at the beach and thinking to myself I'd rather be down there casting in the surf than up here swinging a golf club. :LOL: Never did get a chance to fish that area, looks really fishy though. :Idea: Swells picking back up a bit this week... time to hit the fresh. :Wink:
Thanks for the report Robert. :Cool:

Hey Arthur!
Actually it's time to throw the nets out in the water from the piers and try to get some lobster...lol
Have a Good One,
Robert

murrieta angler
09-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Wait a sec... so the little halibut came unbuttoned, then went back for your bait????? What a brave little bugger....

Dude!
I've had smaller attack an LC 3-4 times on same retrieve!!
They're not shy at all.
Robert

murrieta angler
09-30-2010, 07:05 AM
"may that lc rest in peace"

Heck, I forgot about that till you brought it up. Oh well, $20 well spent!
Robert

murrieta angler
09-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Hey DR,
Thought you might like that...lol
Yeash, there were half masts everywhere. Thought I was gonna have to call the cops, cause they were raping us with their eyes...lol

cjmedina
09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey Robert is that picture of you at the beach. Hehe

bones
09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Great read Robert......Until......All that Blacksbeach stuff........Half Masts.....Really?

Maybe there is a high Sea Men count in the water:ROFL:

Sorry....Couldn't resist !

On a serious note....Glad you guys at least avoided the skunk. This year has been surely unpredictable from week to week. I've targeted perch at the last moment just to avoid the stripe down my back this year many times especially earlier in the spring. Lately I even got skunked on the attempted perch slay!
All of the crab beds in malibu have diminished greatly.
El Nina' really sucks!

Go back to that spot next week and it will probably be WFO........It's been weird like that!

OH....Try some KY jelly attractent on your LC next week as well......I heard the Butt's are S P E C I A L down there.

BrandonFish
10-01-2010, 04:37 AM
WOOOW did dan see a naked guy to get his half a55 smile (first ever) like Will Smith in Hancock :LOL:
JK JK...
ima try to make the next trip out with you guys somehow >.>
thanks for the report

murrieta angler
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey Robert is that picture of you at the beach. Hehe

You know I don't shave my head....

murrieta angler
10-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Great read Robert......Until......All that Blacksbeach stuff........Half Masts.....Really?

Maybe there is a high Sea Men count in the water:ROFL:

Sorry....Couldn't resist !

On a serious note....Glad you guys at least avoided the skunk. This year has been surely unpredictable from week to week. I've targeted perch at the last moment just to avoid the stripe down my back this year many times especially earlier in the spring. Lately I even got skunked on the attempted perch slay!
All of the crab beds in malibu have diminished greatly.
El Nina' really sucks!

Go back to that spot next week and it will probably be WFO........It's been weird like that!

OH....Try some KY jelly attractent on your LC next week as well......I heard the Butt's are S P E C I A L down there.

LOL!!!
Yeah, it's one of the things you have to put up with down there on a decent day. Bunch of guys walking around naked....really!
I know the hali's are there, as I've caught a couple, just not a legal yet.
Next time,
Robert

murrieta angler
10-01-2010, 07:53 AM
WOOOW did dan see a naked guy to get his half a55 smile (first ever) like Will Smith in Hancock :LOL:
JK JK...
ima try to make the next trip out with you guys somehow >.>
thanks for the report

Right on Brandon,
I have plent of room in the station wagon (Yukon XL).
Later

DockRat
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
FYI guys I pulled that pic of the 2 guys from photobucket :LOL:
DR