PDA

View Full Version : South Lake 9-28 & 9-29

Sierra_Smitty
09-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Things are winding town a tad at the resort - so I was able to get out for a few hours in the afternoon the last two days.

It is flat out STUPID wide open at the Treasure and the Gilbert Glacier inlets. White jigs w/ pink pw trailer, Rainbow Sparkle Atomic Tubes, Thomas Bouyants, Daredelives, and my cousin from Oregon was throwing some crazy mini spoons called the Luhr Jenson something Knight and was killing it. Broke off a 5+ lb mini-jig fish on Monday (frayed line, should have retied) and farmed a 3lber on a jerk bait (rippin' minnow) about 2ft from the boat after a drag peeling aerial fight that required dipping the rod under both anchors twice - no noob move, hook just pulled out on probably the 6th jump. Even the stockers are fighting like pissed off brownies right now...I love the fall!!!!

The most exciting thing was yesterday afternoon I saw a 10lb class Brown cruising the Gilbert Glacier inlet - hands got a little shaky when I got a good look at it from the side - biggest brown I've seen at South since 2006. I immediately cut off my jig and tied on a 3" hard jerk bait. Didn't catch the big brown but I was shocked to stick 8 or so rainbows in a row on it - those fish are aggressive right now - no doubt!

It's all about the inlets right now - Rock Slide is pretty slow, the Dam is ok.

I have some friends up for the next 10 days so I'm going t be out there every chance I get - will certainly have some more toad pics to share in the next week or so.

Peace,
Smitty

SoadTilt15
09-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey Smitty,

How's the weather up there? Are the leaves changing colors up there yet? Going up there tomorrow to take some pictures and some fishin!

Sierra_Smitty
09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey Smitty,

How's the weather up there? Are the leaves changing colors up there yet? Going up there tomorrow to take some pictures and some fishin!

The weather has been rediculous but we're looking a bit of a cool down over the next few days - still great weather for fall.

The fall colors are ON FIRE right now!

billy b
09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Tried to call for a room a few minutes ago ... Sunday and Monday night - possibly Tuesday night ... will try again.

DONE

RiverWalker
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the report Smitty! You made my day! My buddies and I we're suppose to make a trial trip to the Western Sierras for the first time this weekend but changed our minds when we heard it was going to be around 96 degrees out there. No thanks! We decided to go where we know best...the East side! Instead of starting in Bishop and working our way to Bridgeport, we've decided to spend the entire time in Bishop this time. I was barely able to find a few motel rooms to accommodate us since you guys are having that 'Fall color car show' in town. Tried looking for a spot at your place but it seems you guys have a 3 night minimum. We're coming up Friday night and leaving Sunday! We'll be renting a boat or two from you on Saturday. See ya!

BIGBASS MB
09-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the report, I'll be calling for rooms for OCT, sounds like South lake is the place to be In the Fall.
peace
MB

TroutOnly
09-30-2010, 07:26 AM
STAY OUT OF MY SPOT FARMERBOYSMITTY,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,I COMIN BACK BEFORE THE CLOSE,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

Sierra_Smitty
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Just as I suspected, my friends went out yesterday and nailed a chubby 4lb 12oz 'bow - grasshopper mini-jig. Hopefully a few more bigguns come out this week.

For those that want to see what the fall color looks like - here is a link to the latest fall color report complete with pics.
http://www.parchersresort.net/FallColors.htm

TO - hurry up dude!

billy b
09-30-2010, 09:23 AM
I've got Rainbow Sparkle ... lots of Grasshopper jigs. Did they put a tail on it.

I'm leaving a PM

TrouTracker
09-30-2010, 09:37 AM
To All- It's a great time in the Sierras right now. There's practically no fishing pressure at all. You pretty much have the lake to yourself. Smitty and the Parcher's staff are really helpful in pointing out the hot spots. The changing of the seasons in the Sierras is beautiful right now. And, the trout are fattening up for the upcoming winter.
Barry A. Ogawa

flytyingreloader
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Smitty--

Marie and I will be coming up Sunday A.M., and hoping to hit South Lake in a rental boat for the afternoon--barring thunderstorms and that sort of drag. From Ridgecrest, Bishop is an easy daytrip.

TROUT MASTERS
10-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the info
great report.
I just got back from sierras with my boys,but will be back to bishop area
by end of october,
== trout masters ==