PDA

View Full Version : Striper Hunting, Coachella Canall 9/28/2010, KPN

VietReefer
09-29-2010, 02:13 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5035865930_07ae94e83c_z.jpg

Yeah right! hehe. In my dream

The hunting started when some local told me there are stripers in this part of the canal. Even though I've never seen or heard one pulled from there, I kept trying anyway. So I hit the canal every chance I get after those stripers. Even though there were days the water gates were shut, and you can see the bottom of the canal (just flat cement with gravel and chunks of rock here and there), I only saw hundreds of carps patrolling the canal when I walked along it, but I've never seen any other species. But I didn't give up hope, I kept trying short sessions 30 min-2 hr every oportunity I find.
After like 10 skunk sessions, it was finally proven to me that there are really stripers in the canal :). It's just the quantity is really small so the chance that they come across your lure is really slim, not worth trying in this crazy 115 degrees heat .. :D
Anyway, got to the canal around 6am, it was still pretty dark out there I had to use a flashlight to do everything. Every rattling sound in the bushes give me goose bumps cuz can't see anything, not even where my lures were cast. I just cast into a direction and keep reeling in. Made repeated casts for an hour without anything touching my lures. Tried my "just arrive" KPN, spoons, LCs, Zara Spook, Super rattle spook with nothing and finally switched back to KPN. Got a hard bite but judging by the fight I knew it wouldn't be big but it gave me a good fight and I'm excited I finally nailed it.
Just around 7:15 and the heat was so bad I started to feel uncomfortable to I packed up and went home. Hunt is over. Mission accomplished so no more striper hunting until it gets cooler.
Good days & fish hard.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5035865938_7d243c6d2d_z.jpg

yolo
09-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Nicely done. You finally found one. Persistence and patients is necessary to be successful. If there's one there's more. Looks real narrow where you are at. Have any more scenery shots? I'm still curious what everything looks like now. I haven't been in like 20 years.

VietReefer
09-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Yolo
I didn't take any scenery shot. I will next time I go just for you :) hehe
Yes, the canal is quite narrow, only about 10-12 ft across, and this looks even narrower because the water gates above this part closed. The gates are preset and automaticly close/open to allow more/less water downstream. When the gates closes, the water level drops 2-3 ft, and you can see the bottom of the canal with fishes swimming around. I've never get any bite after water level dropped and never saw other type of fish besides carp though.

yolo
09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I look forward to checking out some canal scenery pics.

fullstringer
09-29-2010, 06:29 PM
way to go!!!!!

Joe

VietReefer
09-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks Joe

kpn
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Mission accomplished VietReefer!
Congrats on your first striper on a lure and more to come.

KPN.

VietReefer
09-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Mission accomplished VietReefer!
Congrats on your first striper on a lure and more to come.

KPN.

Thank you brother K
Now I have to order another one because I lost one in my last sessions. Report coming :)