PDA

View Full Version : Duct Quick DD

yolo
09-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Son had soccer practice and the duct is only a few blocks away from it so since I had my rod in the car from the DVL trip, I decided to make a quick run. Water was still flowing wide open and the moss was bad and has not changed since I last fished it a week and a half ago. Also looked like the water was way up at some time because there was moss remains dried up all along the bank. Maybe they slowed the flow down sometime and the water raised up for one night or ???

I am working just one spot walking down flow for about a 1/4 mile using the mafia lipless crank. Nothing happening with that. I had my medium light rod wedge in my belt as a back up with a 1/4oz jig head and a soft jerkbait. I wanted to work that one back because it would pick up less moss and might give me a chance to get some more cranks on the reel with action before it fouled with moss. I am working it for just a few minutes and about 10' from me I get slammed hard and drag is burning on my little spinning reel. I have 6lb Berkeley Vanish on the reel and it is peeling off like crazy. The fish heads straight down flow and just runs and runs and runs. I am slowly making my way down with it and I encounter a take out basket fenced off area. It is a 7' high structure and I can't get around it. The fish is hauling butt with no stopping it. Drag still screaming. I walk back up to the dirt and lift the rod way up high and reach around a light pole that is sticking up about 10' and hand the rod to my other hand. I am now running out of line but made it around the structure and can run down after it.

I make a little progress and wind some line up the fish surfaces in the middle but way down from me. Makes a splash and I see that it's a good one. I am still running on the bank keeping the rod bent and reeling as I go. It runs several times and I keep running with it. I think we are both getting tired. Now that I am making some progress, the moss is coming up the line and jamming into my guides. I keep tension as to not let the fish spit the bait and I clear the tip. I am now able to reel again for a little bit until it loads up again and I have to clear it the same way. I do this many times and now I am near the fish and it is starting to tire. Well so I thought. It sees me and starts ripping line again. I think that helped me clear some moss off and I work it back in and grip and land it.

man what an adrenaline rush this one was on the medium light and 6lb. It took about 7 minutes to land it, maybe more? It was 32" long and quite meaty on the back. I would guess it's around 13 or 14 pounds. As much as I wanted to cast some more, I had to get back to pick up my son from practice.

The fish had an empty stomach and I will be making more striper jerky from the fillets.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%209-28-10/Duct9-28-10_1.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%209-28-10/Duct9-28-10_2.jpg

M@M
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
WOW!!!:EyePop: Way to keep your cool and catch another WHOPPER! . Wouldn't ya know you would hook up on a DD with your lighter line and rod. LOL...and in such tough conditions.....LOL....can you imagine if it had happened at night:LOL:..Way to go Z. In a situation like that your experience surely made the difference.
:UDaMan:...Great report, enjoy the jerky, Mike

cutbait
09-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice fish!

You know its a good one when the stripes show scale pattern

yolo
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks M@M and CB. Meat is sliced and marinade soaking in. Filled up a whole large salad serving bowl. I need a dehydrator. I can only do one rack with a sheet at a time in the oven.

5BassReaper7
09-29-2010, 03:32 PM
A++++++ catch good job on not giving up bro thats how you beat the skunk at the duct

fishinone
09-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Congrats Yolo,

That's a nice one.

I also enjoyed the play by play.

radray
09-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Congratulations on a nice fish! You duct fisherman are persistent! That's why you guys are so successful fishing it. Good job again. I hope to catch my first fish there someday soon.

yolo
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Here is a pic of the high water mark I saw. I bet a gate or gates down flow were not wide open when this happened. The water mark is way high and there were two different ones. I would like to catch the time this occurs. I know it's more fishable when it slows down because the moss settle more.

Bassnman Mike
09-29-2010, 06:07 PM
I need a dehydrator. I can only do one rack with a sheet at a time in the oven.

Great job again Z. Dehydrators aremt all that expensive. I think I got mine for about $40.00 and that included extra trays

trail blazer
09-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Great job on the BIGOLE STRIPER YOLO,,,,,,,,,,WTG

TRAIL BLAZER

Lunker1979
09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Yes sir, nicely done. I can't handle that moss so I wont be back out there until it tapers off a bit. Nicely done! Where abouts was that?? The place we talked about a few weeks ago?? M@Ms spot he informed me of?

yolo
09-29-2010, 08:39 PM
It was in Palmdale.

Got-to-fish
09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Great job Yolo!!!!!! My last trip out I only got a 20Lb mountain of moss, and the time before that a 30Lber. I"m never going to fish the duct again! OK.......maybe I'll try just one more time!

VietReefer
09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Congrats on the awesome catch yolo

yolo
09-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Lighten your whole presentation if you must fish with all this moss. Go to jig heads 1/4 to 1/2 oz with various soft baits on them or use a bucktail. The hard lures with 2 or 3 treble hooks on them are a moss magnet. The jigs and bucks still work with moss on the heads. The moss should subside in a few weeks. Although the record temps are not helping it. Might delay it a little longer?

kpn
10-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Congrats on the DD, despire moss condition.
I have to wait for a few more weeks to make that drive.

KPN.

yolo
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Work is slowing down again so let me know when you will be in the area and we can try to fish again. Hopefully catch, lol.

Bigfish12
10-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Nice fish!!