PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Noobie at the Lagoon

cnxrurouni
09-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Hello Guys! I'm new to fishing, but trying to get into it. I've gone around 4-5 times and haven't caught anything :( I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, are there any tips to fish from the shoreline on the lagoon? We've used nightcrawlers and all kinds of hooks, but all we ever pull in is A LOT of weed. Is there any way to avoid all that weed too?

SDDave
09-28-2010, 11:16 AM
This time of year the algae starts up and slimes most of all baits, try fishing earlier and later, the heat isn't helping, at least there pumping water right now, look at some of the posts from the hot sticks that are fishing at night time.
I would hit up the upper lake right now instead of the lower, get with some of the guys on the shore line and ask what there using, maybe one of them will take you under there wing and help you out.
Just keep at it...

hamneggs
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
The best way to learn about a lake as big as Castaic is to try a guided trip. You'd be amazed how much you learn from one outing (not to mention all the fish you will end up catching). Just don't complain when you have to filet and gut all the stripers.

stg68
09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Hello Guys! I'm new to fishing, but trying to get into it. I've gone around 4-5 times and haven't caught anything :( I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, are there any tips to fish from the shoreline on the lagoon? We've used nightcrawlers and all kinds of hooks, but all we ever pull in is A LOT of weed. Is there any way to avoid all that weed too?

This time of year the algae starts up and slimes most of all baits, try fishing earlier and later, the heat isn't helping, at least there pumping water right now, look at some of the posts from the hot sticks that are fishing at night time.
I would hit up the upper lake right now instead of the lower, get with some of the guys on the shore line and ask what there using, maybe one of them will take you under there wing and help you out.
Just keep at it...

I agree with SDave,
Try upper lake these days. Lagoon is slow as of now, for a month or so at least.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-28-2010, 05:57 PM
You'll find more solid activity in the goon once the water tempm decreases and the oxygen regenerates...

there's fish to be had though....early and late in day is key...even at night...

The upper lake isn't a bad suggestion as noted above but the fish are way more keyed into a shad pattern..

As far as weeds, the goon gets like that every year around this season (a little late this year)

it's actually already started to break down though...3-6 weeks should see an improved bite.....try dropshotting in more clear areas and senkos through the trash.....

flyline a nightcrawler in the riprap too with light line....same with the upper in the rip rap but for the upper you'll probably get more activity with shad oriented lures...

Your fishing the lagoon at an inoportune time....not the best time to learn it right now....

Hope this helps.
Gary

cnxrurouni
09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. We actually tried getting to the main lake. I used google maps and it took us around the mountains thru a longer path just to end up back at the lagoon Lol. I'm not familiar with fishing terms... What are senkos and dropshotting? I also don't know what riprap is -__-. I'm planning to constantly fish for the rest of the year, but I'll take a two week hiatus from the lagoon to let the weeds clear up. It's really frustrating to constantly take the weed off the hook. I also want to invest in a new fishing pole, we bought the cheapie ones from BIG 5 that are only 15 dollars. Any suggestions?

CL SmooV
09-28-2010, 10:35 PM
senkos are great plastic baits. google em'. you will soon love them.

dropshotting is a fishing method. google it too. youtube it all so. learn it and use it when conducive.

as far as set up, start off by purchasing a medium action rod (6 footer or a 6'6) and a known-brand spinning reel. 6 to 8 pound test line.

find your local or semi local mom and pop tackle shop. tell them your fish dreams and they should take care of ya.

hope this helps

-Smoov

SDDave
09-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. We actually tried getting to the main lake. I used google maps and it took us around the mountains thru a longer path just to end up back at the lagoon Lol. I'm not familiar with fishing terms... What are senkos and dropshotting? I also don't know what riprap is -__-. I'm planning to constantly fish for the rest of the year, but I'll take a two week hiatus from the lagoon to let the weeds clear up. It's really frustrating to constantly take the weed off the hook. I also want to invest in a new fishing pole, we bought the cheapie ones from BIG 5 that are only 15 dollars. Any suggestions?

read read read, all kind info out there, look in the classies right now, Frank Marino is selling ton of good mid level and high level gear, the prices on the 100 d are spot on, thats the best way to upgrade buy getting good used stuff

stg68
09-29-2010, 04:29 AM

I buying most of my stuff here, http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/

SDDave
09-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I buying most of my stuff here, http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/
Good source, but what I trying to let this guy know that if you are trying to find what fits your needs, or even if you allready know, buying used/new where someone has allready paid for the depreciation of a rod or reel, cause the mintute you take something off the shelve it's value cuts in have, theres a lot of sword swinger here on FNN that use something for a year and then trade up or go to a differnt brand, so for new guys looking for gear, the classys on FNN are a great place to look.

radray
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
cnxrurouni,

What days do you fish the lagoon and what time? If I am free, I will be glad to help you out. I usually fish the lagoon at nights and have caught my share of nice bass there. On the LMB, I practice catch and release to help ensure that they will be there still for the future generations. Also, I fish to help me relax and unwind. I want to make sure that there will always be some LMB on that lake because that species does not get stocked by the Dept. of Fish and Game. I remember when I started fishing for bass at Castaic. I went through many trials and errors and I spent countless hours researching on my own. It helped, but what helped the most was someone willing to share their knowledge with me. I caught my first bass and it gave me confidence and with that confidence I ventured on my own trying different techniques and lures to catch them. I also gained respect for the fish that provided me with so much challenge, enjoyment and frustrations.

There are many friendly guys here. I know, I have asked for advice from them in the past and they have helped me out. I am sure they will be glad to help you out as well if you ask nicely and you respect everyone and do not rape and pillage the fishery. There are many here who love Castaic and is like a second home to them considering how much time we spend fishing that lake and learning about it to be a more consistent fisherman.

stg68
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
:Razz::Razz::Razz::Embarrassed::Embarrassed:

There are many friendly guys here. I know, I have asked for advice from them in the past and they have helped me out. I am sure they will be glad to help you out as well if you ask nicely and you respect everyone and do not rape and pillage the fishery. There are many here who love Castaic and is like a second home to them considering how much time we spend fishing that lake and learning about it to be a more consistent fisherman.
:Surprised::Surprised::Surprised::Shocked::Shocked :

Amen to all of this!!!!! :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:
I wish all of us be like you.
I am the same way; love Castaic, both of them.
Always catch and release. I do love to see LMB’s for next few years coming. Or few 100's years.

Thanks for good words.

Surfer
09-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Over the summer I've been to the Lagoon twice. Both times I fished the dawn patrol and fished the late afternoon all the way into 3am. Both times I threw everything I had and didn't even get a nibble. The place seems really tough. I could use some help as well.

Ray Lopez
09-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Here are some good starter tips to use to get you on some fish soon.

First off get yourself a good 6 to 6.6 foot medium action very fast tipped spinning set up with a decent spinning reel that can hold a decent amount of 6 to 8 pound fluorocarbon line (100% preferred)

Now for presentation go with the drop shot set up like others have said (don't overwhelm yourself with all the other bass toys just yet). Now drop shot for me is set up with a 1/4oz to 3/8oz drop shot weight tied to the bottom of the line and then i use a small size 4 to size 2 mosquito hook made from owner. I tie this anywhere from 4" to 2 feet from the weight depending on the time of year and weed growth i will be working.

For the lure go with Roboworms and start yourself off with these colors (Oxblood red flake, Bold bluegill, Arrons magic, MM III, and Hologram shad) these worms come in different sizes too. But for right now stick to the 6" straight tail, and 4 1/2" curly tails.

you can look all of these up online and roboworms are pretty much carried at all local tackle shops in the LA area.

To work a drop shot set up i would say start with the slow presentation first. Now what i mean is to cast out let it fall to the bottom then reel in the slack. Once you feel the weight then give it a few small light bumps (think about trying to wiggle the worm in the water and not take the weight of the bottom) Then reel in the slack and continue. You want to move the worm about a foot or 2 feet each time but very slowly. then let it sit while you reel in slack and just keep this going until you are close to shore. I bet if you keep at this you will eventually catch fish. Also watch for others using this method and do as they do. Over time you will get a good feel for it and pick up some moves that you know produce fish.

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up via Private message and i will help you the best i can. I know the Lagoon like the back of my hand and have fished it hard for the last 5 years and fished it off and on for well over 16 years.

Once you figure out the drop shot then go for the Senko presentation. Just don't overwhelm yourself with all the other bass stuff right now or your brain will explode.

MichelleBedore
10-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Just don't overwhelm yourself with all the other bass stuff right now or your brain will explode.

LOL! For real! I've already had brain surgery twice already! hehe j/k

Thank you for your helpful post!