PDA

View Full Version : New PB Halibut 9/27/2010 south O.C.

VietReefer
09-28-2010, 02:37 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/5033543118_bd2f249c4f.jpg

Hahaha, J/K. I wish I wish

Stayed up the whole night playing game until I got real sleepy. Looked at the clock and it was 4am in the morning. Decided to start driving out to the beach around 5 before first light. I knew if I go to sleep there is no way in hell I would be able to get up and I would be still keep hitting snooze 4 hours after. I'm the type that can stay up for 2-3 nights without sleep but when I do sleep, I can never get up unless I had at least good 4-5 hours. So, the game was back on.

Got to the beach around 5:30 and started drop-shotting with glittered pearl jerk shad because I think it would still too dark to use the LCs. Kept working the area for nothing until first light.

Switched to the LCs FM110 but couldn't decide what color to use. Water is clearer today than yesterday, waves are stronger, water temp around 63, very little salad present. Decided to go with the gold FM110 (from Wingnut :UDaMan:) since it had caught me fishes in the last sessions and 3 days ago my first & also PB LMB at around 8lbs on a place I never thought I would catch one.

Got a bite on the 2nd cast, I could feel light away that is something small. Started reeling in it was a perch or a croaker but the fish self released before I could get a better look at it.

@ around 6:45, I got a really strong snap 45 degree at my right. Set my hood & my rod went bendo 180 degree and pulling my drag like nothing. After the first run, I tightened my drag a bit and started reeling in. Had to play with the fish and the drag a good 15-20 minutes after a lot of drag pulling and running left and right. By the way he fought I knew right away that he's gonna be a big one and I kept saying repeated in my head .. oh god, don't let me loose him because I've lost a lot of big fishes within 6-7 because I didn't get a good hook on them. He must have made almost 10 runs total but I finally landed him. At first sight I was like "holy crap .. ahahhhhh" acting crazy as always when I landed a good catch :Dancing Banana:. Knew right away this gonna beat my previous PB on 9/13/2010 on my first legal Hali. Taped out at 29", yayyyy .. new PB for me in just 2 weeks, awesome.

Landed another butt 20 minutes later @ 20.5", shortie. I fished for another 30 minutes until the alarm went off. It's time to hit the market to get some grocery and head back to the desert for 2 weeks. So until then, you guys reports will be the only thng that ease my addiction :).

Mission: Sneak out of the house butt hunting and comeback before the lady notice I was gone. Completed :)

Tackle: Okuma Diemos 7" combo $45, medium, fast action, rated 8-15lb, with 15# Stren Mono, palomar knot, LC FM110 gold color.

Caught:
- (1) Perch or croaker (self release before I could get a better look, only see something silver about the size of my hand).
- (2) Halibut, one PB 29", one shortie 20.5"

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/5032622746_6dd8edab12.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5032622750_5b2d7c62f5.jpg

Once again, I'd like to thank Wingnut for his knowledge and generousity which helped me started surf fishing and had unforgetable experiences of a lifetime. A good catch always had me excited for days just thinking about it.

DockRat
09-28-2010, 05:49 AM
WTG on the PB.
DR

bman90278
09-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Once again, I'd like to thank Wingnut for his knowledge and generousity which helped me started surf fishing and had unforgetable experiences of a lifetime. A good catch always had me excited for days just thinking about it.

It looks like Wingnut also taught you how to do a very nice report too...Looking forward to see more of your reports. BTW, very nice butt you caught too.

-brian

fishshep
09-28-2010, 06:55 AM
MAN!!!:Big Grin: That is a nice lookin thick Hali !!!

stepchild
09-28-2010, 07:26 AM
nice catch,wtg on the pb.

klocked
09-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Congrats on the new pb!! you're on fire!!:LOL:

VietReefer
09-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks a lot for your comments guys.

bones
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Great job out there......The change of season is starting to move them in I think.
Your on a roll there buddy.....keep at it!

murrieta angler
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Very nice Halibut indeed.
You are on fire, too bad you had to head back out to the desert for 2 weeks.
Just let me know your spot and I will kindly keep reeling em in for you...lol
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
LMAO (Sneak outa the house for a surf mission)

Nice job right there !

Congrats on all da feesh : )

Man ya had me with ur 1st pic and I was like.....DAYAM..

but thats still a mighty fine fish..

congrats..

nice work and a hats off to you for your dedication to do what it takes to get on some action.

Salute !

Gary

bsp
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Very, very nice fish man! Congrats! You've only gone surf fishing a few times and you've beaten my PB fish already. Can't wait to see what you pull out of the surf on your next trip, and that 30in+ is just around the corner.

Wingnut
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
PM sent...

VietReefer
09-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Thank you very much guys for your comments

Out of respect for other anglers out there who've taught me a lot on this site, I'd like to correct something though. In my first post, I lied about releasing the fish. After my 1st legal, I have always intended to release my next PB. I picked up a friend that day, he'd been really eager about catching his first halibut after saw my first legal. He's the person who got me hooked & started fishing. After my catch, he kept insisting that I have to take him the next time I go. He'd been fishing for over 10 years and never caught a halibut cuz he never surf fish. He fished from the jetties and boats and always use live or frozen bait, not lure, so he (and a lot people I know) were really surprised I caught halibut on lure. I wouldn't know I would too if I didn't come across FNN and did a lot of reading here.

Anyway, after I landed my PB, took picture and was dragging him back to water. My friend asked where am I bringing it, he thought I'm just gonna dip it to keep it fresh. Said I'm gonna release it. He asked if was I crazy, he'd dreamt of catching one for years and never did, now I'm gonna release it? Said yeah, people who taught me fishing thought it's a nice thing to do to the sport. He doesn't understand and kept insisting to the point I can really see that he would get mad if I release it. Ended up giving him the fish and he bagged it with content. Took the posted pictures about an hour later just before we left when I think the fish has already reach heaven gate. :(.

I love getting out there and fish, but I don't like eating fish since I was small, probably cuz of the fishy smell. One time I even vomit after eating a piece of fish cooked by my friend's mom. She was not a good cook I know that, but that feeling just stuck to my mind whenever eat fish. But I do try fishes I've never try before with caution :) though. Salmon is the only fish in my grocery list, hehe. So most of the fish I caught were release and if I decided to keep they were mostly always given to my gf's family or friend.

Thanks for reading my post and the congrats. I apologize to those who thought I was nice enough to release it :(

With that said, keep fishing on

klocked
09-28-2010, 08:28 PM
VietReefer, much respect for you coming clean about not actually releasing it.

BTW, maybe you can put those other pics of that fish back in your post. They looked alot nicer than the ones you replaced them with! :Big Grin::Wink:

bones
09-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Thank you very much guys .. I'm still excited thinking about it.

Out of respect for other anglers out there who've taught me a lot on this site, I'd like to correct something though. In my first post, I lied about releasing the fish. After my 1st legal, I have always intended to release my next PB. I picked up a friend that day, he'd been really eager about catching his first halibut after saw my first legal. He's the person who got me hooked & started fishing. After my catch, he kept insisting that I have to take him the next time I go. He'd been fishing for over 10 years and never caught a halibut cuz he never surf fish. He fished from the jetties and boats and always use live or frozen bait, not lure, so he (and a lot people I know) were really surprised I caught halibut on lure. I wouldn't know I would too if I didn't come across FNN and did a lot of reading here.

Anyway, after I landed my PB, took picture and was dragging him back to water. My friend asked where am I bringing it, he thought I'm just gonna dip it to keep it fresh. Said I'm gonna release it. He asked if was I crazy, he'd dreamt of catching one for years and never did, now I'm gonna release it? Said yeah, people who taught me fishing thought it's a nice thing to do to the sport. He doesn't understand and kept insisting to the point I can really see that he would get mad if I release it. Ended up giving him the fish and he bagged it with content. Took the posted pictures about an hour later just before we left when I think the fish has already reach heaven gate. :(.

I love getting out there and fish, but I don't like eating fish since I was small, probably cuz of the fishy smell. One time I even vomit after eating a piece of fish cooked by my friend's mom. She was not a good cook I know that, but that feeling just stuck to my mind whenever eat fish. But I do try fishes I've never try before with caution :) though. Salmon is the only fish in my grocery list, hehe. So most of the fish I caught were release and if I decided to keep they were mostly always given to my gf's family or friend.

Thanks for reading my post and the congrats. I apologize to those who thought I was nice enough to release it :(

Keep fishing

Nice job fessing up to the non CPR of your PERSONAL BEST fish. Poseidon always grants you a second chance because we are all human and sometimes things (Like your friend) go wrong.
Just make sure that you let go your NEXT PB and you will go to fish heaven one day! :ROFL:

Now get out there......Hit it hard...... ask for forgivness and redeem yourself!

bsp
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
What's cool is that you came clean man, and it takes some courage to admit that publicly. Major props for doing that.

Nothing wrong with keeping a few fish here and there since you were completely within your legal rights. I know I've done it several times. Like bones mentioned, nobody is perfect and in the grand scheme of things keeping one halibut isn't so bad.

Just be sure release the next PB and try to CPR more legals than you keep! Like I said before, looking forward to the next report!

exfactor
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Brother, takes quite a man to fess up like that. Now think about catching a 27 POUNDER! My big one was 50.5, and I followed it with a 47. It took 23 years before I caught one over 40 again. I probably won't catch a bigger one in my life, but I'll sure try my damndest, and if the guy next to me catches it, I'll shake his hand, and buy him a cold one. If you knew how many hali's were caught by the commercials each day, you would really shake your head.

flyngby
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Well done!

Some great advice by my mentors and friends!

Sometimes decisions are influenced by others but at least you fessed up to your beliefs and what I hope are your true thoughts about that fish! Pay your "Respects to Poseiden" and you will be rewarded well!

Mikey (Exfactor) has some valued points there also! The facts are out there! We are just a minor inpact on the "Flattie Fishery" but we will also be punished the most by the "MLPA"!

Look forward to the next report!

iLLest
09-29-2010, 12:23 AM
nice going man, Im yet to catch a 20+ hali. Gona give it another shot this friday!

jerryG
09-29-2010, 12:32 AM
By owning up you have gained a great deal of respect in my book VF. I know how you feel because I have been there myself. I learned long ago that some (close friends and direct family members included)fail to understand the importance of practicing catch and release. Over time some will change their ways but others will never change. You just have to make it clear to those you fish with that ultimately your decision to keep or release a fish is yours and only yours to make.

JerryG

VietReefer
09-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your inputs.
Maybe I'll just do solo in the future to make sure others will not affect my decision. I think that's the only sure way because I'm the type who just can't say something straight out or bluntly if I think that it would make the other feel uncomfortable. I knew after all the insisting talk he would be pissed if I put it back even though I caught it and have every right to keep it. He was the one who got me started and hooked in fishing, even though he's always the bait-n-wait type of angler. I guess having never caught a halibut after more than 10 years of fishing made him wanna keep it more and more.
I make a promise to release all my shorties in the future .. j/k .. hehe .. of course I will.
With that said, two things in mind: Solo in the future :) and release my next PBs.

blackwater
09-29-2010, 12:02 PM
VR, is Commander Wingnut upset? :Shocked: :LOL:

Peer pressure is a b*tch isn't it? :LOL: Well, like everybody else said, nice going owning up to your mistake. Seriously, you really didn't do anything wrong except for lying about letting it go. Nobody ever said you HAVE to let everything that you catch go. Even Wingnut will tell you to release more than what you catch. We've all been there, done that and what YOU DO, from THIS POINT on, is what really matters. :Cool: Fish on!

VietReefer
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
VR, is Commander Wingnut upset? :Shocked: :LOL:

Peer pressure is a b*tch isn't it? :LOL: Well, like everybody else said, nice going owning up to your mistake. Seriously, you really didn't do anything wrong except for lying about letting it go. Nobody ever said you HAVE to let everything that you catch go. Even Wingnut will tell you to release more than what you catch. We've all been there, done that and what YOU DO, from THIS POINT on, is what really matters. :Cool: Fish on!

No anh Phuong :)
Not a single fisherman here was upset, at least not that I know of or maybe they were upset and just too nice to express it hehe. I just felt weird about it from the start . .and it made me kinda uncomfortable throughout the day but it didn't really after the "congrats" comments and all. :D I guess it's because I really wanted to let it go and didn't.