PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 9/27

superbigfish
09-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Went out to Castaic for 4 hours today. Didn't see any boils! Hot as heck and the only thing caught was a SUNBURN!

dgfishin
09-27-2010, 01:27 PM
at least you tried!

fishinone
09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry to hear that you had a slow day.

Were you fish from a boat or from shore? Where in the lake were you fishing?

bk_364
09-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Yea the boils were really slow today we got into one around 1030 where we caught most of ours we came out with 8 stripers and 2 lmbs this morning but the boils by the boat ramp were going off in the morning and and 12 when we came back in

superbigfish
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I was on the boat working everyone point. I metered tons of fish in the 100-200ft range.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
this heat wave aint helpin things...sorry for the skunk

This may be a good chance to point out that boils right now are sporatic and very unpredictable...if one goes out counting on just boils they may end up left wanting...

I'd always suggest a "plan B' to fish the lake....

Be carefull to get into the mindset that boils are the only way to catch fish there...there's action to be had other than boiling too..

Boiling right now is still way early in it's stages...by all means get out there ! it's the only way to find out truly whats up but don't be discouraged if the boils don't materialize...

the patterning hasn't solidified as of yet...

good try though...get out on 'em again....

Good luck,
Gary

Optimist
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I am going to Castaic Lake this Sat, and I don't have boat. So, the only option I have is walking along the dam. I have zero experience for the boiling. Also, I have never use top water shad. Any suggestion for me would be great. For example, does the boiling will be close to the shore line? If the boils end within 10 to 20 sec, should I stay there and wait for the second boiling turn? or I just keep moving to look for an other boiling?

Big G
09-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Stay and wait. The striper school back and fowarth. Just keep pitching that topwater lure. Sometime u dont need boil there still there.

BIGBASS MB
09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
If your lucky the fish will boil close to wree your fishing but dont think that the fish arn't going to hit your topwater lure when theyr not boiling...
Keep on throwing it out there and youll get them.
Mb

Optimist
09-28-2010, 11:48 PM
I see. From the Dam, I heard at the end is a good spot for striped. Is that true? or I just need to cast out my topwater bait from the main launching point and keep walking to the end?

radray
09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
If you are going to just chase boils, understand that it is hard to know where the fish will boil or if they will boil at all. I have seen them boil at the main marina within casting distance and all along the dam. I have also seen them boil at the West Ramp as well and at the points. I suggest travelling lite with a long rod to be able to cast out far when necessary and to bring lots of water. It's hot and a lot of walking may be involved. Some people chase the boils and some wait all day for the boils to happen. It's just the luck of the draw really. As for when they are boiling throw top water lures (KPN, Lucky Craft Sammy and Gunfish and Heddon Spooks), scrounger heads with flukes and/or kastmasters. I have seen all of this work and it has worked for me.

I have been successful in catching some boils and also have been skunked because the boils did not occur where I anticipated them to occur, but that's just fishing. Some days you win and some days you loose. Good Luck and go get em! Don't forget the water.

Optimist
09-29-2010, 07:26 PM
If you are going to just chase boils, understand that it is hard to know where the fish will boil or if they will boil at all. I have seen them boil at the main marina within casting distance and all along the dam. I have also seen them boil at the West Ramp as well and at the points. I suggest travelling lite with a long rod to be able to cast out far when necessary and to bring lots of water. It's hot and a lot of walking may be involved. Some people chase the boils and some wait all day for the boils to happen. It's just the luck of the draw really. As for when they are boiling throw top water lures (KPN, Lucky Craft Sammy and Gunfish and Heddon Spooks), scrounger heads with flukes and/or kastmasters. I have seen all of this work and it has worked for me.

I have been successful in catching some boils and also have been skunked because the boils did not occur where I anticipated them to occur, but that's just fishing. Some days you win and some days you loose. Good Luck and go get em! Don't forget the water.

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyway, all of my rods are 7' long MH. Also, I like walking because I am sitting in the office five days a week. When I have chance, I would like to walk more. That is why I try to keep fishing every Sat.

radray
09-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Optimist, you will get them bro. So far it seems they boil at opening time around the dam and the marina area and the point to the right of the marina. At around 9:30 AM if there are no more boils, I head to the west ramp. I have caught boils on the dock and the coves to the left of the launch ramp. I will be there this Saturday to chase after them jailbirds as well. Chasing boils can be frustrating because the moment you leave a spot that's where it boils. It has happened to me every time. That's fishing for you and it beats staying home. However when you hookup into some topwater action, it's one of the best feelings you can experience fishing. Good luck out there.

Optimist
09-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Optimist, you will get them bro. So far it seems they boil at opening time around the dam and the marina area and the point to the right of the marina. At around 9:30 AM if there are no more boils, I head to the west ramp. I have caught boils on the dock and the coves to the left of the launch ramp. I will be there this Saturday to chase after them jailbirds as well. Chasing boils can be frustrating because the moment you leave a spot that's where it boils. It has happened to me every time. That's fishing for you and it beats staying home. However when you hookup into some topwater action, it's one of the best feelings you can experience fishing. Good luck out there.

Thanks again for the information. Maybe see you there on Saturday.

MAVERICK27
10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm also thinking about heading out there. I have a boat, but only fished Castiac on it once. Maybe there is someone that wants to partner up on my boat and go get some Striper!!

koifish
10-01-2010, 07:34 PM
I have been at Castaic the last 2 days looking and waiting for the boils... no boils at all. A lot of dead shads in the water at the WR dock. Maybe the hot weather, humid and lack of oxygen in the water.

breeze71
10-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Grab the shad and fish it dead....on top..play it with a few jerks at a time or split shot them down. Those shad are dead from tail stuns.

koifish
10-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Grab the shad and fish it dead....on top..play it with a few jerks at a time or split shot them down. Those shad are dead from tail stuns.
you are so right. I also save some of them for the this winter bouyed line hahaha..