PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Sunday at DVL

ezcompany
09-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Scorching hot day.
Bass boils ALL DAY. did not manage any.
giant shad balls everywhere.
Trolled for Striped bass on the pontoon, but could not get a bite.
Probably didn't help that I didn't know how to troll either. We were trolling 30lb set ups on giant krocs and kastmasters. I had no idea how deep they were, but went super slow to see the irons do their wobble. Someone at the boat ramp said I was supposed to use lead core line? Felt stupid as **** lol
Can someone tell me how to get a striper at this "gem" of a lake? :(
Thanks for letting me rant.

Fusionwerks
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
been there, done that. ive been going out about every 2 weeks (and spending WAY too much on rental boats) and i finally managed to hit a few stripers the other day. bottom line... i got lucky and happened to be in the middle of a boil when it went off and i think they hit my lure out of blind luck. I think there IS a secret at this lake and the people who know dont tell. unless you want to book a guide for a day, your gonna just have to get lucky. i personally think there is a difficult situation going on there. there is way too much bait for the fish to be out looking for a meal, which makes the fishing tough, but on the other hand it makes for some pretty hefty fish when you do get them. my girlfriend and i managed a few LMB friday, but we were there all day, but the fish we caught didnt make up for the day of frustration and the boat rental price. ive asked what to use and people have told me kastmasters, silver spook topwaters, tiny shad flukes on scroungers, and krocodile spoons. but these are not what ended up catching any of the fish ive got there. i was using a rapala shad rap and my girl ended up catching hers on a white/grey buzz bait late in the day. of course you said you were trolling...which i dont know how to do either, but i thought id throw in my 2 cents.

sweetfish
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
The lures that you have mentioned that others said work is true. Silver spooks, flukes with scroungerheads, flukes flylined, kastermasters, and crocodiles do work. If you see fish busting and are not agressive enough to hit the lures, leave the area. Go find another group that is busting. I found out that some of these wolf packs get used to the lures being thrown and will not artificials. Then when I go to another area with busters, the fish are more agressive and can stay in the area for a couple of hours and slay away.

TroutOnly
09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
you have to know how deep youre running youre gear, and a graph helps let you know how deep the fish are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,

kewlwhip
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
ask this guy ^^ lolz... T.O. DVL is bad az.

Btbdodgers
09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
sunday was tough, i was there also , only managed one striper, one lilttle largy, and 3 big bluegills, all on swimbaits. get a shad net, i saw some guys catching fish all day long. my net broke half way in the day trying to catch em, so i need another too

ezcompany
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
shad net?
so it is legal to fish with shad on DVL?

Lunker1979
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
If you catch the shad out of DVL yes you can use them. You have to have some kind of graph or depth finder if you are trolling. Obviously a downrigger or leadcore as well. My personal opinion is you fish deep for striper unless you see them boil. I'm going again this Sunday and will be targeting big bass and striper. Fish the bottom for stiper unless you see them boil, then topwater stuff. I don't have any fish finders or any of that stuff, I just go off of what I see and where I have caught fish in the past at this time of year. I'll post another detailed report on Sunday when I get home. See you guys out there!

ezcompany
09-29-2010, 01:39 PM
thats awesome. do you know if the stripers feed on bluegill as well? would it be legal to use them as bait?

Lunker1979
09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Nope, I don't know........go ask the guys that don't give you any of the information, maybe they will help you!

yolo
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Bluegill can't be used as bait unless in the Colorado river district.

Lunker1979
09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Come on Yolo, I wanted to arrest his ***.....lol....j/k!

RngrAngler18
09-29-2010, 08:12 PM
No you can't use bluegill.