PDA

View Full Version : pb surpise

efishent
09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Saturday afternoon my wife wants to go for pedal on the board at Mondos, north of Ventura. It's flat so I deicide,instaed, to take my newly aquired from big 5 $25 combo with 10lb mono and tie an old LC to it. As she pedals away I started clearing the semi-murky water from floating seaweed within a casting ditance. About 10 min later I hooked an especially large piece of kelp and it started to run away from me at a steady pase. I'm getting a feeling that I get from reading all the great halibut battle posts (thanks for the inspiration!). As I watch my line peeling to about a half spool I start walking behind the fish gradually getting some line and submerging deeper in process. At some point a tail comes out of the water far away - looks like halibut tail sideways..may be a shark? AT that point my wife is back and is hearding the fish from the water towards the beach causiosly. Well, a couple nice waves help to bring the fish to sand where I grab it and (realizing what it is and how heavy it is) sprint to dry land to the amusement of sunset watchers. With only ab 1.5 years of to surf-fishing I suddenly have: pb from surf, new species, and firm committment to make my first post at FNN (New Years resolution) after all the reads. Water is surely warming up, didn't see much bait fish excpet after they started running around betwen me and the wsb.
I'll get out there asa it flattens out (flatties are out). Board goers in, rod is out for now.
Have fun out there.

bones
09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Awesome job out there in Ventura. What a way to start off your contributions to all FNNers and Team 57.
I've caught a legal WSB only one time from my float tube and she rocked my world. I liked the play by play on the fight........felt like I was there!
Keep up the good work!
Looking forward to more reports from you!

E.A.R.G.
09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
White sea bass! Wowwwwww!!
Good job!!!

Ifishtoolittle
09-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the board! And awesome PB from the surf dude!

flyngby
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Welcome aboard! Nice way to enter the into the boards!

exfactor
09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
may be a while before that happens again. Good job on the nice legal bro. That...... is what we live for.

Jaysuuun
09-26-2010, 09:34 PM
wow sweet catch! Congratulations on the PB. hope to see more reports from you soon

JESSEJAMES
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
badass catch!

jerryG
09-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Great job.. Awesome catch from the beach and an experience /memory that will with out a doubt you will never forget. Looks like the bar has been raised for your surf WSB goal. Thanks for the report looking forward to the next one.

JerryG

iLLest
09-26-2010, 11:48 PM
what a sweet freakin catch. :EyePop: Im yet to even see a white sea bass face to face. And the one you got there...is a niceeeee size. Good Job bro.

troutdog
09-27-2010, 02:17 AM
A day on the water that will be remembered for a lifetime...congrats and welcome to the board!

TD

DockRat
09-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Saturday afternoon my wife wants to go for pedal on the board. big 5 $25 combo with 10lb mono and tie an old LC to it. As she pedals away I started clearing the semi-murky water from floating seaweed within a casting ditance.

Nice WSB.

Pedal on the board ? Is that a Hobie pedal kayak ?.

$25 combo kicks Asss :Envious:
DR

stepchild
09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
wtg.that has to be pretty sweet feeling.catch wsb from the surf.

Wingnut
09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Simply awesome! That's what we are all chasing... :Envious: You sounded like you were in complete control during the entire battle, great job! :Big Grin:

Welcome to FNN and hope to see more reports from you! :Cool:

murrieta angler
09-27-2010, 11:19 AM
DANGGG!!!!!!!!
WTG with the legal WSB!
I've only seen one landed by someone else and it was shy by 2" from being legal.
Congrats and welcome to the site,
Robert

bman90278
09-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Excellent first post and welcome to the boards!!!! Looking forward to seeing more of your threads and I'm sure you will end up in one of the famous Swat Threads too.

-brian

Swank909
09-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Great looking legal!

DId you say you caught that on a paddle board? I couldnt quite figure it out

efishent
09-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Thank you for welcoming words, I'll be sure to post the future outings, although it would be hard to top last Sat. Oh , and I was not using paddle board just walking the shallows (my wife was paddling and probably spooking fish towards me from the depths).
However a friend of mine caught an even larger WSB from a big surfboard in Leo Carrillo kelp.