PDA

View Full Version : Topwater fishing, Boils scarse and short.

fishinone
09-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I went fishing on Saturday with FarmerJohn, Bong and Khanh.

FarmerJohn and Bong joined me in the morning. We went looking for boils in ski arm first and didn't get into them right away. After a little while we found some short boils and John and I picked up a few schoolies.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%209-20-2010/IMG00169-20100925-0827.jpg
I caught one of these ugly green by-catch.

We were making our way around the lake checking spots when Bong stopped working his lure and turned to talk to us. After a couple seconds a fish blew up on his KPN Topwater shad and his rod went bendo.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%209-20-2010/IMG00170-20100925-0904.jpg
Here's Bong with his first fish On a KPN Topwater Shad.

I think that increased his confidence in his setup. I could see a change in the way he fished.

We made our way around to the fish arm and most of the way around it without seeing bolis. We were on our way to the porta potty when we found a scattered but steady boil. We would see small boils and they would sink out before we actually got to them. They were coming up for the Topwater Shad when there were no boils.

Later we made our way back to the ski arm and found some active fish.

I saw John and Bong pick up a double. Johns was right near the boat on the right side and Bongs was out in front of us.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%209-20-2010/IMG00173-20100925-1119.jpg
The hits were almost at the same moment.

We came in about lunch time so that John could go to GLTFTS's fishing clinic with Khanh and Bong could go have lunch with his sweetheart. I came home, made myself lunch, drank about 32 oz of liquids and rested, since I've had a cold.

I went back at 4:30 and met KPN and FarmerJohn for an afternnon session.

We went back to our porta potty spot and chased boils in the middle of the lake.

I think Khanh can take credit for being an excellent teacher. His students managed to slightly outdo him! :LOL: We each got two fish while he got one in the evening.

So the boat total for the day was 15 striper, 1 bass.

I picked up a KPN Topwater shad in a new color. It's white whith a very lightly shaded back. Nice!

trail blazer
09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
NICEEEEEEEEEE,,,,,,,,,,Makes my blood boil,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Next day off im going,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cant decide,,,,staic or san tone?????????????guess i wont know till its time to go,,LOL,

BUT 1 THINGS FORSURE<<<<STRIPERS WILL DIE/BLOOD WILL SPILL.

THANKS for the GREAT REPORT!

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
09-26-2010, 07:51 PM
The stripes on that bongs first fish are wicked!!

Your the best, when you becoming a bako boy?

MonsterGuppy
09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
nice going on the top water.. could not find any boils this afternoon, way too many boats out im guessing.

TroutOnly
09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
More boilwhores,,lol,,,,,the good stuff is comin ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
NICEEEEEEEEEE,,,,,,,,,,Makes my blood boil,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Next day off im going,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cant decide,,,,staic or san tone?????????????guess i wont know till its time to go,,LOL,

BUT 1 THINGS FORSURE<<<<STRIPERS WILL DIE/BLOOD WILL SPILL.

THANKS for the GREAT REPORT!

TRAIL BLAZER

Thanks T/B,

Castaic is old hat for me, San Antonio would be easy choice. Those big striper are calling me. Then again, the big ones should be showing at Castaic in numbers soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new boat. Take me with you, I'll teach it to catch fish!:Razz:

The stripes on that bongs first fish are wicked!!

Your the best, when you becoming a bako boy?

Thanks C/B

I hadn't noticed that striper. It does have a neat pattern. Cool! Now I'm taking time to smell the fishes.

I've been looking at houses in the Quail Lake area and I'm already a redneck. Does that help?

nice going on the top water.. could not find any boils this afternoon, way too many boats out im guessing.

Thanks M/G,

On Sat. the boils were mostly rolling with only a few blow-ups. I think we missed a lot of boils because they weren't hitting much right on top. Most of the blow ups I saw were on the lures. Maybe the shad weren't quite coming to the surface in the wind.

More boilwhores,,lol,,,,,the good stuff is comin ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks? T/O,:LOL:

I can't wait! I'm gonna start fishing, before work/at lunch/after work as soon as I get my truck smogged. I've been paying the mechanic lately. Luckily he's a fisherman!

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
good days bad days...their all good as long as your fishing : )

you caught some fish.....sounds like a good day to me : )

CONGRATS !

Everyday on the water is another learning experience as to the patterning of those feesh....

consider it as that...

you guys got onto some quick hott action, many people go a day's time and still get skunked...

sweet...
congrats,
Gary

kpn
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
I think Khanh can take credit for being an excellent teacher. His students managed to slightly outdo him! :LOL: We each got two fish while he got one in the evening.

So the boat total for the day was 15 striper, 1 bass.

I picked up a KPN Topwater shad in a new color. It's white whith a very lightly shaded back. Nice!

Ron,
Thanks for the invite. It was a slow afternoon bite....may be due to the heat, but we had a blast!
I was so happy to watch you and John out fish me :Wink:, and that is VERY RARE! :LOL:.
Enjoy the excitement while it last....and it won't be for long :Wink:.
I will be there this Wed again....will see.

Khanh.

fishinone
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
good days bad days...their all good as long as your fishing : )

you caught some fish.....sounds like a good day to me : )

CONGRATS !

Everyday on the water is another learning experience as to the patterning of those feesh....

consider it as that...

you guys got onto some quick hott action, many people go a day's time and still get skunked...

sweet...
congrats,
Gary

No doubt Gary,

I totally agree, it was good fishing. I hope I didn't come across like I thought that it was a bad day. We had a blast! I just love seeing those fish blow up on the KPNs. We caught fish all over the lake throughout the day. One good boil would have put us over the top but what we got was plenty.

I'm just worn out from this cold. I think the heat on top of having a cold made it worse. Man was it hot! In the afternoon we were running down the lake with blasts of hot air hitting us in our faces. It was like a sauna. I was still really tired on Sunday when I was writing the post.

fishinone
09-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Ron,
Thanks for the invite. It was a slow afternoon bite....may be due to the heat, but we had a blast!
I was so happy to watch you and John out fish me :Wink:, and that is VERY RARE! :LOL:.
Enjoy the excitement while it last....and it won't be for long :Wink:.
I will be there this Wed again....will see.

Khanh.

Get used to it Master! You're a very good teacher!:Wink:

Korin
10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi,

I have never fished for strippers however I really want to learn. What is the basic set-up? Rod, reel, rigging??

It would be great if I could use my float tube at Castaic lagoon and maybe catch a stripper or two.

Any diagrams, pictures suggestions on a basic set-up.

What is a boil? rolling or otherwise.

Korin
Lady Loves to Fish

Fire Ball
10-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I have never fished for strippers however I really want to learn. What is the basic set-up? Rod, reel, rigging??

It would be great if I could use my float tube at Castaic lagoon and maybe catch a stripper or two.

Any diagrams, pictures suggestions on a basic set-up.

What is a boil? rolling or otherwise.

Korin
Lady Loves to Fish

There aren't any stripers in the Lagoon, only the Upper Lake. I'd say buy a good baitcasting setup and then tie on a topwater (KPN, Spook, Sammy, etc.) and cast it out and "walk" it back to you. You might be able to catch a few stripers or LMB in dead water, but if you see some boils, cast to them and you should get bit, if you do everything right. Boils are fish busting on bait on the surface. You will hear them and see them breaking the surface.