PDA

View Full Version : June loop sept 17-23

bstolton
09-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Got to the loop around noon on Friday, unpacked and then headed down to Gull lake by the playground to soak some bait and relax after the long drive. We caught five and kept 3 in about 2 hours on salmon peach, chunky cheese and garlic PB.
Saturday headed over to Silver lake fished along the shore before you get to the resort. The PB Queen caught 1 on chunky cheese and 1 on garlic, I caught 1 on an orange PW and 1 on a pink PW all released. The wind picked up in the early afternoon so we called it a day.
Sunday was blown out so we hung out in Bishop and Mammoth.
Monday went out on June lake in a pontoon boat. The PB Queen proceeded to kill them on garlic PB catching 7 releasing 2 and had her limit by 11 am. I caught 3 on chunky cheese PB, 2 on a gold Thomas buoyant released 1 and 2 on an orange PW released 1. Also lost 2 fished, both of them jumping out of the water and spiting out my bait, Good times!
Tuesday went to Saddlebag lake and took the water taxi across to the 20 lakes basin, the wife is not into hiking but I was able to at least make it too Steelhead lake. We stopped at Wasco lake on the way back and fished for about an hour with pink and green PW but had no luck. Made one cast at Greenstone lake while we waited for the taxi and caught a 5” brookie on the green PW. This is definitely an area I want to come back to and explore.
When we got back to the loop we headed down to Gull again and relaxed with a couple of cold ones while soaking some garlic PB. The Queen caught 1 and I released 1, lost 1 and kept 1.
Wednesday we went to Big Virginia lake, the queen caught 6 all on garlic PB her new favorite flavor, she released 3, 1 was a brookie. I caught 5 on inflated NC, kept 3, released 2 and also lost 1, also caught 2 on an orange PW, kept 1, released 1 and lost another. Had 2 good hits on a rainbow Thomas buoyant and thought I was going to land my best fish of the trip only to lose it about 15’ from shore, ouch! We left around 1 pm as it started to sprinkle and then we had snow flurries for like 30 seconds.
When we got back to June we walked down past the marina and fished along the shoreline below Boulder lodge for about an hour. No luck for the Queen but I managed to get 1 on garlic PB and complete my limit.

Had a great time can`t wait to go back!

BIGBASS MB
09-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Very nice report, My wife and I were up there around the same dates and we had very similar results at Saddlebag, I'm looking forward to go back and put some more time into the Twenty Lake Basin, (din't really get to do that)
SO MANY PLACES TO FISH AND SO LITTLE TIME...
MB.

TROUT MASTERS
09-26-2010, 01:47 PM
very nice report and nice pic's
i love fishing the loop,special the rush creek
gods country,too bad we all have to come back to this rat race.
:Angry::Angry::Angry:

AngryAgent
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip.

I have one concern. You use powerbait for the most part and you say that you are releasing fish, are you using treble hooks and releasing them? Most of the time when you're using powerbait most people use treble hooks and 99% of the time when you hook a trout on powerbait they swallow it and you are removing the hook from their gut or the back of their throat. The fish may swim away fine and look like everything is ok but it will die in a day or two if not sooner. Trebles and releasing is not a good combination, it would be better if you kept the fish unless it's lip hooked. I'm not trying to be a jerk but explain what happens in most cases with powerbait and treble hooks so I hope you understand.

SierraPeaks
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip.

I have one concern. You use powerbait for the most part and you say that you are releasing fish, are you using treble hooks and releasing them? Most of the time when you're using powerbait most people use treble hooks and 99% of the time when you hook a trout on powerbait they swallow it and you are removing the hook from their gut or the back of their throat. The fish may swim away fine and look like everything is ok but it will die in a day or two if not sooner. Trebles and releasing is not a good combination, it would be better if you kept the fish unless it's lip hooked. I'm not trying to be a jerk but explain what happens in most cases with powerbait and treble hooks so I hope you understand.

If you cut the line and leave the treble hook in his throat...it dissolves in a few days and the fish is none the worse for wear.

AngryAgent
09-26-2010, 08:16 PM
If you cut the line and leave the treble hook in his throat...it dissolves in a few days and the fish is none the worse for wear.

That is not true either and more of a myth. There have actually been studies done with the water taken from Sierra rivers and lakes where hooks have been submerged in the water for weeks and not "dissolved". Take some tap water from home and put it into a cup, submerge a treble hook into the water and see if it dissolves in a couple of days. I've done it myself and it doesn't even begin to rust after 2 weeks with an Owner Mosquito hook much less a thicker treble hook. I have heard people say that for years but its simply not true.

BIGBASS MB
09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
That is not true either and more of a myth. There have actually been studies done with the water taken from Sierra rivers and lakes where hooks have been submerged in the water for weeks and not "dissolved". Take some tap water from home and put it into a cup, submerge a treble hook into the water and see if it dissolves in a couple of days. I've done it myself and it doesn't even begin to rust after 2 weeks with an Owner Mosquito hook much less a thicker treble hook. I have heard people say that for years but its simply not true.

This is a fricken fishing site not a science class... The hook will dissolve in the fishes mouth, not just water...
MB

TROUT MASTERS
09-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I DIDN'T KNOW,THERE ARE MORE TREE HUGGERS IN THIS SITE THAN
IN SACRAMENTO,,,
YOU TELL THEM BROTHERMAN :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

AngryAgent
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
This is a fricken fishing site not a science class... The hook will dissolve in the fishes mouth, not just water...
MB

You know that to be fact? Really. Yeah this is a fishing site, so the info I was trying to relay was related to fishing and the conservation of fish:Rolls Eyes: Get a clue. I'm not tree huggin but trout aren't the most hardy fish either like bass and die rather easily. Bottom line is a gut hooked fish is a gut hooked fish period, better to keep it.

Sorry to take away from your thread BStolton, like I said just trying to spread a little info not incite a riot.

Matt44
09-26-2010, 10:27 PM
are you sure that wasn't water from the rockies hahaha i dont think anyone would waste there time studying that thus making your story a myth my friend.

BIGBASS MB
09-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Take a CHILL PILL mr AngryAgent and stop roaming around you make me nervous...
and Why are you so Angery anyway???

AngryAgent
09-26-2010, 10:58 PM
are you sure that wasn't water from the rockies hahaha i dont think anyone would waste there time studying that thus making your story a myth my friend.

You don't know me or what I've done and I ain't your friend..

Take a CHILL PILL mr AngryAgent and stop roaming around you make me nervous...
and Why are you so Angery anyway???

You should be nervous..maybe you could be a little more careful about what you say and it wouldn't be anything, but I have done some tests on different hooks because I have heard that they dissolve so I wanted to know for myself because I only catch and release (for the most part and when I do keep it's only rainbows not browns, brooks or cutt-throats) when fishing trout, I only use plastics and single hooks and most of the time they are barbless. Hooks will dissolve eventually if they make it to the stomach of a trout where natural enzymes and acids produced by the trout's stomach. Most of the time hooks don't make it to the stomach but work there way loose and fall out if they are single hooks. In the case of treble hooks they are harder to work out and are sometimes found with new tissue grown over the hook if it couldn't work its way out. I wish I could find the website that had a study on hooks dissolving inside of fish..

Here is a quote from another website and I'm not saying that there is scientific fact backing up what is being said but non-the-less..:

"no. not actually dissolve, but they DO rust and the speed of this depends on the water. they will go faster in salt water.
a fish’s stomach acids will dissolve a hook but they very seldom make it to the actual stomach and if it is jerked on, it will most likely cause the fish’s death long before it has a chance to dissolve. most hooks in a deeply hooked fish are lodged in the throat or gills. it is best to simply clip the line on these if releasing the fish as they will usually work their way out allowing the fish to throw the hook. permanently stuck hooks will get a buildup of protective scar tissue around it allowing the fish to live a normal life.
but if l read your question correctly, no, fish hooks are not made to dissolve. otherwise everyones tackle boxes would become filled with gooey messes of former fish hooks."

and one more:

"No they do not dissolve. They will rust and or just work their way out of the fish many times.
I saw an exhibition at a fishing show/convention on this subject. Using marked hooks, they hooked bass in the giant display tank and left the hooks in. Within a week, approximately 70% of the hooks had worked their way out and were found at the bottom of the tank. Within 2 weeks, the number was up to around 90%.
They are not going to dissolve and they are not all going to come out but if you have a fish hooked in the gut or gills, you greatly increase the fishes chance of survival by cutting the line and allowing the hook to work it’s way out on it’s own."

Like I said my main concern is with trebles, I also work in the industry so I try to spend a little time studying about fishing and conservation so I can help fight against things like this and the MLPA who targets specific things just like this here to try and close down fisheries. Being aware is a good thing don't you agree or should we all just use any means to catch a fish no matter what the cost? Spreading a little info isn't bad and I didn't intend for this to become drawn out but if someone learns something from this thread then hell it was worth it.

BIGBASS MB
09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
you don't know me or what i've done and i ain't your friend..

You should be nervous..maybe you could be a little more careful about what you say and it wouldn't be anything, but i have done some tests on different hooks because i have heard that they dissolve so i wanted to know for myself because i only catch and release (for the most part and when i do keep it's only rainbows not browns, brooks or cutt-throats) when fishing trout, i only use plastics and single hooks and most of the time they are barbless. Hooks will dissolve eventually if they make it to the stomach of a trout where natural enzymes and acids produced by the trout's stomach. Most of the time hooks don't make it to the stomach but work there way loose and fall out if they are single hooks. In the case of treble hooks they are harder to work out and are sometimes found with new tissue grown over the hook if it couldn't work its way out. I wish i could find the website that had a study on hooks dissolving inside of fish..

Here is a quote from another website and i'm not saying that there is scientific fact backing up what is being said but non-the-less..:

"no. Not actually dissolve, but they do rust and the speed of this depends on the water. They will go faster in salt water.
A fish’s stomach acids will dissolve a hook but they very seldom make it to the actual stomach and if it is jerked on, it will most likely cause the fish’s death long before it has a chance to dissolve. Most hooks in a deeply hooked fish are lodged in the throat or gills. It is best to simply clip the line on these if releasing the fish as they will usually work their way out allowing the fish to throw the hook. Permanently stuck hooks will get a buildup of protective scar tissue around it allowing the fish to live a normal life.
But if l read your question correctly, no, fish hooks are not made to dissolve. Otherwise everyones tackle boxes would become filled with gooey messes of former fish hooks."

and one more:

"no they do not dissolve. They will rust and or just work their way out of the fish many times.
I saw an exhibition at a fishing show/convention on this subject. Using marked hooks, they hooked bass in the giant display tank and left the hooks in. Within a week, approximately 70% of the hooks had worked their way out and were found at the bottom of the tank. Within 2 weeks, the number was up to around 90%.
They are not going to dissolve and they are not all going to come out but if you have a fish hooked in the gut or gills, you greatly increase the fishes chance of survival by cutting the line and allowing the hook to work it’s way out on it’s own."

like i said my main concern is with trebles, i also work in the industry so i try to spend a little time studying about fishing and conservation so i can help fight against things like this and the mlpa who targets specific things just like this here to try and close down fisheries. Being aware is a good thing don't you agree or should we all just use any means to catch a fish no matter what the cost? Spreading a little info isn't bad and i didn't intend for this to become drawn out but if someone learns something from this thread then hell it was worth it.
from what i see,
you need to go fishing...
Yeh yeh that's it
mb.

AngryAgent
09-26-2010, 11:46 PM
from what i see,
you need to go fishing...
Yeh yeh that's it
mb.

I go fishing sometimes 4 or 5 times a week and I am leaving this Friday for 6 days in the Sierra's. I Just got back from float-tubing Big Bear with FarmerAndy. You need to get an education. Yeah..yeah that's it:Wink:

Actually here's a link to a study done by a DNR fisheries employee with Muskies and single hooks where virtually all the fish died within one year:
http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/719101/fpart/1/livebait-rigging-musky-mortality

And here is an even better one..:
http://southhoustonbassclub.com/documents/gut%20hooked.htm

SierraPeaks
09-27-2010, 08:32 AM
OK..."dissolve" was the wrong word to use. But the stomach acids do break down the hook. Much the same way that if you put a penny in human stomach acid, it would break down in time. Whoever conducted the tests by simply having the hooks sit in Sierra lake or stream water wasn't much of a scientist. Water isn't going to break down anything.

Matt44
09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
you have too much time on your hands bro, and im positive aint is not a word. catch fish and if that fish is too messed up to swim u keep it, we all know how to fish bud.

teejay
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Nice trip. I sure wish I was up there now relaxing in that lawn chair.

bstolton
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Did`nt mean to start a controversy, but to answer your ? AngryA I never release fish that are gut hooked. I do my best not to injure any fish.
Thanks everybody else for enjoying my report and pics. I am thinking that I need to plan one more quick weekend trip for Oct, maybe just to Bishop and back.With this weather we are having it looks like we may get an extended season.

Bill