PDA

View Full Version : Rpt Sat.. 09-25-10 No Tuna, so back to Bass'n!

Tunaslam
09-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Lal and I waited and watched for any signs of a Tuna bite, hoping we could join in on the fun, as difficult as it has been for the private boater to lure fish up without a large supply of chum? It didn't happen on Thursday or Friday, so back up plan B, go Bass'n!

Fishing Saturday, 9-25-10, with Lal on his 18’ boat “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Sunset Harbor in Huntington Beach at 5:45 am, with our destination being the Izor’s Reef and the Pipe, in Newport Beach. For a change there were grease calm seas, wow!

We ran out at over 27 knots, and were at Izor’s Reef in short order. We made several drift’s, had some great meter marks, however, conditions were not favorable, and no bites? There was no current, the boat was moving at a snail’s pace, with an erratic direction. So we ran up towards the Newport Pipe and Reef area. Besides it was a great day to be on the water, hazy skies, and the grease conditions are sure to be appreciated, after so much wind and swell this year. We saw lots of life on the way, porpoise, birds playing and diving on numerous schools of bait boiling around the surface for acres. Certainly a good sign!

We reached the Pipe at around 7am, and it was game on. Both of us were bit on the fall. I reeled up a 12” Calico Bass, while Lal pulled in a 2 pound Sand Bass. It was a steady pick for an hour. Releasing most of the 20 mixed Bass we caught, I kept a few 2 pounders for fish tacos. Lal caught this nice fat Sandy that weighed in at four pounds on the Boga Grip.

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/503/100_1120.jpg

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/503/100_1121.jpg

We made a move over to the Newport Reef area, as the Pipe just died? Made a few drifts, still facing no current and unable to pick a direction of the drift, so we setup right on the structure. Had a 30 second flurry and caught three Sand Bass. One of them was another healthy four pound Sandy, which tied Lal for big fish honors for the day.

Myself with a 4 pound Sand Bass.

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/503/100_1122.jpg

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/503/100_1123.jpg

It’s sweet to look at the flat seas in the background, and everywhere we went we spotted bait breaking the surface, and lots of birds enjoying the moment. Oh to think how great it could have been out on the Tuna grounds, and if they bit, a day to remember?

That was it for the Reef, so at slack tide we moved north to a few small stones that sometimes yield some fish, and occasionally we realize a ***** slap or two! None of the stones produced any bites, despite some great meter marks. Fish sure have lock jaw in no current, middle of the day, after a good size moon, the previous night.

As we made our way North, the wind started to pick up a bit, but still no current. One more Sand Bass and one more small Calico Bass, and it was time to watch some college football. Off the water at 12:30 pm, boat washed and stored at 1:30 pm, and time to sip on some cold Chardonnay, and watch my favorite team, the USC Trojans crush Washington State, as well as take a peak at their arch rivals, UCLA beat up on Texas, oh darn, got to root for the Pac10. Being a Trojan fan for almost 50 years, my favorite college day is a Trojan win, and a lost by both UCLA and Notre Dame. I’ll settle for the loss by Notre Dame and good showing by UCLA to assist the Pac10 reputation.

Water temps at the most of the areas we fished were 63 to 64.5 degrees, and greenish clear for local fishing. Still hoping we will at least get a Fall shot at Kelp Paddy hopping for Yellowtail?

Thanks again Lal, another great Bass’n adventure on the Rubber Ducky, although slow by our standards!

Hook up! Cory

murrieta angler
09-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Cory,
Yeah, it's been a tough year for sure. I'm still trying to get my first tuna of the year.
Hopefully that will happen in the next week or two.
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

JapanRon
09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Great Bassin' trip report. Hope that I will soon read of you guys striking it rich on the Tuna !!

Thanks for the always fun play by play. Unbelievable but Tailman went out today too !! Two days in a row ... in this heat !! Yikes !! I'd be fried !!

JapanRon