PDA

View Full Version : Newport nightmare n the surf

keepemlo
09-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Got under pier on scout mission didn't have a known spot I arrived armed with a new reel full of 20lb braid recommend my my local bait shop owner on Washington n culver city sound safe as I also had some newly punched lcs to add to my collection tide was up water was clear the kids were a joy to watch surfing anyway my bro picks up two finks small small bar perch so I bring out the lc cast poof gone!!!!I checked my line it looked broke I think ok maybe it was my knot on goes another 5 casts poof gone !!!!!
I'm p.ode now ready to go but being the true die hard we hit one more spot on the way back to la I tie on jig head and Comoros swim bait my lucky color3 casts gone Words can not explain how you feel when you lose one of these babys after tweaking them etc let alone two! If anyone finds them I wish you better luck than I had wwith em anyway I'm home now licking my wounds

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
09-26-2010, 05:30 AM
did you check the tip...? i lost 2 bbz swimbaits and 2 lunker punkers in az lake mead that way..

btw:your a better sport than i. i would have gone balistic..

CPT. Kirk
09-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Hey Big Game I'm sorry you had a bad day but look at it this way you spent some time with family and friends and I'm sure it was better then a long day at the office. Now the best thing you can do is get back out on the water and redeem yourself although you may want to consider a different set up.

Good Luck!

murrieta angler
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
That's rough, especially when you had some new 20# braid on there.
There's always next time!
Robert

keepemlo
09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah checked the tip looked pretty good and it always broke off near the knot I'm used to fishing with braid I always use it on my bass jig rod no problems all I can say is thank god my wife doesn't know how much they cost! Anybody going next sat give me a single I should havevmy babys replaced by then

Sublime-Steve
09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
new line? maybe it was no good? been sittin to long? I lost 1 like this before my knot came untied thank god it was a floater i put another 1 on and caught it back

fish4keep
09-26-2010, 08:43 PM
maybe your knot is slipping???

AngryAgent
09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
maybe your knot is slipping???
That's what I was thinking. Are you using flourocarbon? I have seen this happen lots of times with flouro. The knot is hard to cinch down sometimes with flouro. Since you are using braid try this. Get a couple of dowels and wrap them with some rubber tapping them on the ends. Wrap your braid around one about 5 times and wrap the mono around the other also about 5 times, once you have both secured and you put tension on the line wet the knot and begin to pull slowly. The flouro should become translucent when this thing is tightened enough and your knot should hold just fine. Be careful to only pull enough to make the line translucent and not enough to break the spectra or flouro because 20lb braid is pretty easy to break.

LBSea
09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Most likely it was your knot. You can not use your typical slip knots with braid such as a Trilene or Improved Cinch. Power Pro touches on this in there line packets. The line will slip on itself and it can also cut through itself. Braid also does not stretch as every knows so the amount of snapping force at the end tip of a good graphite rod when casting can snap 20lb braid no problem.

If tying braid directly to a lure or hook use the Palomar Knot or tie a Uni to Uni using a 12" Florocarbon leader for shock and the Florocarbon can take slip knots.

Tight Braid!