PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear from the shore any advice..?

Electronics Squid
09-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Going camping up at Big Bear next weekend with the family and would like to do some shore fishing with my daughter...

Any advice as to good spots around the lake to hit from shore..? We are staying at the Serrano camp ground and it looks like we are not to far from the lake there, is that a decent area?

Also being as I'm a sooper noob...any advice as to what type of set-up is good for the various fishes there...

Thanks, Markus....

dixoncider
09-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Last time I camped there we rode our bikes to the east of the campground and fished catfish. It was pretty good on the smaller ones using night crawlers. The spot is before you get down to the launch ramp and after you come out of the trees..I will look for a better way to explain..stand by..

dixoncider
09-25-2010, 08:41 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=big+bear+lake+map&ie=UTF8&ei=UsCeTK_kEIP0tgOmvYDWAQ&ved=0CBAQ_AU&hq=&hnear=Big+Bear+Lake,+San+Bernardino,+California&ll=34.261464,-116.89878&spn=0.003418,0.008256&t=h&z=18
either bike down or I guess you can park in that lot? I think you need the "adventure pass" bikes are a must at that place, there are some great bike path there...

TROUT MASTERS
09-25-2010, 08:42 PM
From the rocks on the left side of light house,2 lbs test line,cast it as far as you can
cheese or rainbow power bait,with flakes in it.15 to 25 inch litter,
have the drag set,big bows,
good luck
:Fishing Hole:

E.A.R.G.
09-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey
http://www.bnaibigbear.org/maps/map2.jpg

Trout is the premiere fish to catch out there at Big bear lake. One of the best spots is right to the west of windy point (look at the map).
Best set up for bait fishing is standard carolina rig with size 16-20 treble (for powerbait) and size 10 bait hook for nightcrawler. Nightcrawler you want to cut in half and thread on the hook and make sure you inflate it so it floats.
You want to use about a 1/4 oz sinker, 2-4 lb test line and about 20 inches leader from line between the hook and the weight.

http://bass-angling.com/wp-content/uploads/Carolina-rig.jpg
Theres a picture of the setup. The bead is optional though.

Trout fishing is best in the early a.m. but it can REALLY be hit or miss. Sometimes they're just not biting. In that case you can switch to a couple other options. There is good bull head catfish fishing all along the lake. You can use the same exact set up but just do not inflate the worm. That will produce bull head catfish bites.

If that gets boring you can always go with the never fail carp fishing at big bear. Switch to little balls of bread on the same set up with the treble hooks and you should have pretty wide open carp fishing anywhere around the lake. You may want to use heavier line for the carp though, they can get pretty big.

hope this helps.

Electronics Squid
09-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the tips...hopefully come next Sunday night I'll have a report with some nice pics..!!