PDA

View Full Version : NPH, well closer to Newport Jetties, mystery fish

irvinec32
09-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Fish there last week and there were tons of bait fish being chased and even lots of krill. The krill were chased by the sardines and the sardines were chased by makeral is this mystery fish. Well, a mystery to me. Anyone know what kind of fish this is?

bsp
09-24-2010, 10:24 AM
It's a salema. Nice job, those aren't too common.

irvinec32
09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
It's a salema. Nice job, those aren't too common.

Thanks! I just did a search on them. Seems like they are good to eat, too bad I did not know. Could have brought home a few for dinner.

TFC_arvilJDM
09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks like a Big Eye Perch, but i could be wrong.

reaktion4
09-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Definitely a Salema.

murrieta angler
09-24-2010, 03:32 PM
How many did you catch? Good job getting em.
Thanks for the short report and picture,
Robert

carpanglerdude
09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Fish there last week and there were tons of bait fish being chased and even lots of krill. The krill were chased by the sardines and the sardines were chased by makeral is this mystery fish. Well, a mystery to me. Anyone know what kind of fish this is?

I had the same question (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?46954-Fish-ID-Help&highlight=salema)a few months back. Salema look pretty awesome, definitely an interesting catch.

irvinec32
09-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Caught on sabiki rig. Yes, we used a sabaki rig in the harbor, haha. Went to the mouth looking for bonies or macks, but saw all the bait fish. Figured, they would be good for catfishing.

fish4keep
09-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks! I just did a search on them. Seems like they are good to eat, too bad I did not know. Could have brought home a few for dinner.

Forget about eating them. Put them on a bigger hook and send them back out for bigger fish. I've caught many legal flatties with them........