PDA

View Full Version : a very bad day at work

ramonpaezrrt
09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
this is the general section of the forum and i need to vent

3 things u need to know before reading this post

1) i am a respiratory therapist who works at a hospital..

2) cant tell u detailed info about the people who were involved bec of privicy

3) these things usually dont effect me idk y this one did

i was working in the ER the other day and i had a 9 month old infant come in for SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) and it has not been breathing for over 20 min... when it came to us it was cold and u can tell this was gunna be a grim case...i was doing chest compressions as my coworker was bagging the kid ( breathing for it) after 5 min of compressions we were gunna call it...then the grandmother came back and she was screaming.... crying and yelling....( she worked in the ER but i never seen her before) she then looked me in the eyes and said " u dont stop u hear me... dont stop" the dr looked at us and said "it is time... time of death ____" the grandmother then screamed and it pierced my soul...i cannot forget this... her face the kid..nothing...

thanks for reading

mil sonrisas
09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Sorry to hear about this. It is something that is hard to forget. I am also in the medical field, but fornately for me, I normally deal with the end result. I work in the lab and usually go pick up the dead, stillborn infants. wrap them up and take them to the morgue. occasionally, the parents want to see the body sometimes no actual resemblance of a fully formed body. then the parents start crying and screaming and all i can do is watch and wait for them to be ready to leave the morgue. I've also dealt with bodies of self inflicted gunshots. the first autopsy i helped with was a 21 year old soldier who stuck a 4o caliber in his mouth. when i first saw the body it was clothed and i remember feeling awful, almost teared up. to my suprise, and it actually bothered me for a while, when we removed the clothes i completely lost any sentiment and this 21 year old was just a specimen.

to this day, after seeing many dead bodies, both infants and adults, i feel nothing at all. it bothers me that i dont feel anything at all and wonder if i've lost my humanity. but i do understand the feeling of a crying parent or sibling, it's the hurt you see in their eyes that hurts the most. tha fact that their loved one is gone forever.

I hope that her voice won't haunt you for to long.

stepchild
09-24-2010, 07:59 AM
sorry to hear about that,death is very difficult t deal with when its your fam...and you having to witness a grandparent,screaming,ouch i feel for you.keep your head up,death is certain in life.just remember if you have kids,to hug them and tell them how you much you love them,.cuz it could be anyone of us...

TROUT MASTERS
09-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Very sorry about the child and you guys,i lost my nephew 2 years ago and the family
cant recover from that,
i have 4 kids myself 3 boys and the girl,and there are the main reason i get up evey morning
god bless all of you !!!

evalrez
09-24-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the child and how this has affected you. This thread is pretty powerful. Gave me the chills and got teary eyed. I have 2 small children (3 & 5), I couldn't imagine going through something like this. I'm a very emotional person and its hard for me to deal with death even though I know its certain in life. I had a cousin who passed from Black Diamond Fan Anemia. It was difficult for me to go to the wake, I didn't want to see her that way. She was a tough cookie though. She was diagnosed when she was an infant and the docs informed the family that she would only live to 5 yrs old. She lived on to be 30 in July and on Oct. 1st she was gone just like that. Til this day its hard for me to cope with it. I haven't been to visit her grave since the funeral and I feel so bad...guilty, but her 1yr. death anniversary is in a week and so I think I will pay her a visit so I can put my mind at ease.