PDA

View Full Version : South Lake 9-23-10

Sierra_Smitty
09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Haven't been out on the lake for a few weeks but I finally was able to get out yesterday afternoon for just a few hours. Here is a short rundown of how we did.

First stop - Gilbert Glacier Inlet. Picked off half a dozen pan sized rainbows and had a few come unbuttoned in about 45 minutes of fishing. Orange pw's, white jigs, and pink pw's. Didn't want the natural colors.

Moved over to another spot in between the Treasure Inlet and the Eddie Murphy inlet for 1 fish - nice 'bow that went a little over 1lb....orange lip ripper jig.

Then hit the Rock Slide for 3 more fish including a very chunky 1.5lber. Caught those fish on the rainbow sparkle atomic tube.

Moved over to a cove we call Buck Tucker Cove - spotted a toad hanging deep so I dropped a jig down and BAM - fish on. Fought this fish for a good 10 minutes or more which is actually a long fight for Alpers. This fish was long and lean with a full tail - made my reel sing a few times. Possibly the best fight I've ever had with an Alper on 4lb test. Rainbow sparkle atomic was the jig. 5lbs 3oz was the weight. Not my biggest of the season but a dang nice fish!

http://parchersresort.net/images/jared%20fall%20on%20south%20web.JPG

Trout 1
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Sweet fish bro!!!

Trout 1
Andrew

SierraPeaks
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Niiiiiice
And I see the water level is still hanging pretty high at South.
Great news for next spring regardless of how the winter pans out.

TROUT MASTERS
09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Congrats,what a trout.good job
nothing beats the gods counrty!
Looks like a held over alper.

BIGBASS MB
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Very nice fish, good job on landing that monster....
MB

billy b
09-24-2010, 09:33 AM
BEAUTIFUL FISH !!!

Using 4# instead of 2?

Any success with the new Gulp worms?

Fall colors look great too!

teejay
09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Nice fish S.S. In my opinion,this is one of the best times of the year to get into some good fishing in the Sierra
B.B, I also noticed the fall colors in the photo. When I was up in the area last week, the trees hadn't started turning yet.

Trout-Slayer77
09-24-2010, 11:34 AM
great fish smitty, thanks for the report !

JAG107
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Man I gotta get back up there, Jared. Beautiful fish!

Wingnut
09-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice fish Jared! :Big Grin: Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by to say hello when I was up that way last weekend, next time. :Cool:

2thdk
09-25-2010, 07:39 AM
slightly off the subject, are you getting any more shipment of your book? thanks

Sierra_Smitty
09-25-2010, 10:59 AM
BEAUTIFUL FISH !!!

Using 4# instead of 2?

Any success with the new Gulp worms?

Fall colors look great too!

I use 4lb Pline flouroclear - very thin diameter for 4lb - and I don't have to worry about losing a big one.

The gulp worms work great - pink has been the hot color as of late.

Sierra_Smitty
09-25-2010, 10:59 AM
slightly off the subject, are you getting any more shipment of your book? thanks

It takes about three months to get a shipment - I'm planning to order more in November after Parchers closes.

Sierra_Smitty
09-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Niiiiiice
And I see the water level is still hanging pretty high at South.
Great news for next spring regardless of how the winter pans out.

The water is the highest I've seen it this late in the season - pretty awesome. Unfortunately the only thing that affects the water level for 2011 will be the snowpack - whether we have tons of water this season or not, they by law have to drop the lake to 20% of capacity by April 1st (argh!)

Sierra_Smitty
09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice fish Jared! :Big Grin: Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by to say hello when I was up that way last weekend, next time. :Cool:

No worries buddy, see ya next time!

SierraPeaks
09-25-2010, 11:10 AM
The water is the highest I've seen it this late in the season - pretty awesome. Unfortunately the only thing that affects the water level for 2011 will be the snowpack - whether we have tons of water this season or not, they by law have to drop the lake to 20% of capacity by April 1st (argh!)

I wasn't aware of that.
They used to lower the water levels to coincide with the projected spring melt depending on how much or how little snow the Sierras received in the winter.

Sierra_Smitty
09-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I wasn't aware of that.
They used to lower the water levels to coincide with the projected spring melt depending on how much or how little snow the Sierras received in the winter.

Ya, the only way they can get around it is if we have a legitmiate drought year, then SCE can file an exemption with the state. Very conveluded arrangement between SCE, DWP, USFS and the State.....pray for snow! hahahaha!

SierraPeaks
09-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Just when I thought I knew everything : )