PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Season

murrieta angler
09-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, it's almost that time of year. The actual season starts October 2, 2010 thru March 16, 2011.

Good Luck to All,
Robert

violenthelm
09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I am thinking about trying hooping for lobster this season for the first time, any tips? Any good spots for first timers? I have a sea kayak

murrieta angler
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I am thinking about trying hooping for lobster this season for the first time, any tips? Any good spots for first timers? I have a sea kayak

I am the last person to give any advice. I've never done it but am waiting anxiously to do it this year.
I'm gonna start off at one of the piers first, than try diving and then head out with some hoop nets.
Remember to post when you get your first, as I will do the same.
Good Luck,
Robert

stepchild
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
im gonna skip opening day gonna be a mad house out there,ill wait a couple of weeks then drop some nets...cant wait.good luck to all

lucky catch
09-28-2010, 09:15 AM
drop your nets atleast 1/2 hour before sundown and pull 1/2 hour after sundown. Try diving during the day for bugs first before attempting a night dive.
Good Luck!

kwest10
09-28-2010, 07:59 PM
if your sea kakay is a long "touring" sit in type, might not be the best idea with loads of gear as it makes it too unstable. I've never seen one of those hooping. If it's a recreational/fishing SOT type I'd go out with 2-3 nets at first and just try it out. I'm hitting the opener from Dana Point with one or 2 guys if you want to come along.

violenthelm
09-29-2010, 06:59 AM
if your sea kakay is a long "touring" sit in type, might not be the best idea with loads of gear as it makes it too unstable. I've never seen one of those hooping. If it's a recreational/fishing SOT type I'd go out with 2-3 nets at first and just try it out. I'm hitting the opener from Dana Point with one or 2 guys if you want to come along.

Its a two man Cobra. I didnt know if they were used for hoopin really, just a thought

Swank909
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Anyone have some advice for a first timer? Going to try hoopin off the pier and see how it goes.

I wonder how hoopin from a float tube would go.....hmmmmmmmm

basstered
09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
hey looking for some new bait ideas anyone got any

murrieta angler
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
drop your nets atleast 1/2 hour before sundown and pull 1/2 hour after sundown. Try diving during the day for bugs first before attempting a night dive.
Good Luck!

I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks!

DockRat
09-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Good Luck!

That is good advice. Go day diving.

As far as Lobsters being deep in holes during the day 'That is total BS'

Lobsters travel and when they don't find shelter they are out in the open.

I've seen thousands of bugs as far as you could see on the sand at Catalina at 120'.
We used to dive for bugs in the day 1/2 the time. My buddy gets them in the day in 6' of water in the rocks. You do need a light for looking under ledges. On Terminal Island by Sea Launch you can see them in the day, too dad that area is off limits.

CAUTION; So Cal has Morey Eels. They hang out in the same holes as the lobsters.
My buddy got bit on the finger and needed a bunch of stitches and only has 50% movement of his index finger. Carry a knife too, my old metal shop teacher in high school had a friend on his boat get bit and the eel would't release and they had to break it's jaw on the boat to get it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_TsKqKoAXc&feature=related

Don't forget about SWB Shallow Water Blackouts. #1 Killer of rookie free divers.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp274/hikergrl_2008/Scuba/morey_smile.jpgDR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7byq7R5A4Y0

kwest10
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Its a two man Cobra. I didnt know if they were used for hoopin really, just a thought

hell ya. You sit in one seat and the hoops in the other. Seen plenty people do that