PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed for the Western Sierras - Taking a gamble out of our comfort zone

RiverWalker
09-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Hello Fellow Fisherman! Long time FNN reader here. First time poster. Thanks to all of the posters here good and bad for all of your contributions to the board. It's definitely my favorite fishing board on the net and your information and reports have been priceless!

As mentioned in my subject title, a few of my buddies and I are planning on changing the pace a little and heading to the Western Sierras for the first time instead of heading east. I'm 35 and I've been fishing the Eastern Sierras from basically Independence to the Walker River(s) my entire life. I'm from So Cal so unfortunately I only make it out about 3 times per year. The 395 is definitely my HWY to heaven!

Having said that, I was wondering if any of you could help us out and provide any tips or recommendations on where to go in the West. We are planning on exploring the areas out of Fresno near Shaver Lake. A few places we have in mind is WISHON RESERVOIR, COURTRIGHT RESERVOIR, DINKEY CREEK, HUNTINGTON LAKE, and possibly the KINGS RIVER. I prefer fishing creeks or Rivers so I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there are any other good rivers in the area that's worth a try. Plus any tips on locations at any of the Lakes I listed. I have a diverse group of fishing buds. From bait soakers to fly guys. I mostly prefer tossing lures, trout worms, mini jigs, and Fly spinning (Fly fishing with a spinning gear) but I'll even use bait too if desperate enough. Our trip is set for the Weekend of October 1st so I'm trying to gather any information on the area now so we don't waste too much time driving around looking for places to wet our lines. While I hope our gamble out of our comfort zone pays off with tight lines, I will definitely be content with trying somewhere new and just enjoying the stunning scenery and fresh mountain air! I would REALLY appreciate any help. Thanks!

Happy Fishing!

RiverWalker (Randy)

Lunker1979
09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I think you guys will have a good time. I'm actually leaving tomorrow for Mammoth and fishing everything on that side. We are going to take a drive over Tioga pass and check out areas over there for our next trip. I want to go fish the west side as well go try something different. Good luck.........I want to see a post when you return.

TROUT MASTERS
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Last year i fished kings rivers.
I was using a 4 pound test.nightcrawlers and spinners,didnt get much luck
dfg guy told me to switch it to 2 pound test line,and sure enough,i was getting hooked
left to right.make sure have the drag set,becouse i lost few big ones.
Good luck !!!!

RiverWalker
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks Lunker. I just hope we do as well on the western slope as we normally do in the east! Good luck in the Tioga pass area! I haven't been in that area for a while but I fished Lee vining creek and Ellery lake a few times in the past. Lots of fish but I didn't catch anything too big. It's really beautiful up there though. Watch out for bears!
Good luck!

I think you guys will have a good time. I'm actually leaving tomorrow for Mammoth and fishing everything on that side. We are going to take a drive over Tioga pass and check out areas over there for our next trip. I want to go fish the west side as well go try something different. Good luck.........I want to see a post when you return.

RiverWalker
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for info Trout Masters. I've always want to try the Kings river. You fished below the Pine Flat Dam right?Since you were using nightcrawlers, I'm assuming you fished in the general regs area. Did you also try the speacial regs catch and release portion where they created a trout habitat? I guess I need to check the reg book before heading out. Thanks for the tips!

Last year i fished kings rivers.
I was using a 4 pound test.nightcrawlers and spinners,didnt get much luck
dfg guy told me to switch it to 2 pound test line,and sure enough,i was getting hooked
left to right.make sure have the drag set,becouse i lost few big ones.
Good luck !!!!

TROUT MASTERS
09-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Yes i fished below the dam,and i think,it was 1 fish per bag limit
after i got my limit,i broke the barb from my hook and was catching and relasing it
you guys have a safe trip,make sure check with dfg,becouse they change there
regulations every year..
Good luck !