PDA

View Full Version : Powerworms v. Nightcrawlers

Freshness21
09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
I was fishing this weekend for trout with 3 buddies up in NorCal. Some of us were using powerworms and the others nightcrawlers. I noticed that with the PWs the fish were swallowing them deep into their throats making for difficult C&R. Those that were using NCs were getting many more lip hooks making release very easy.

Have others noticed a similar result when using PW v. NC? Any ideas why?
Just thought it might be an interesting discussion. Can't wait for it to get colder down here so trout season will start.

gavin310
09-21-2010, 12:05 PM
How were they fished? Were the PWs fished dropshot style? Were the NCs fished on the bottom? The way I fish PWs is up off the bottom with a good amount of movement, so they look more alive and the fish attack it. I usually fish NCs on the bottom and they have minimal movement, so the fish tend to peck at it.

Freshness21
09-21-2010, 04:03 PM
How were they fished? Were the PWs fished dropshot style? Were the NCs fished on the bottom? The way I fish PWs is up off the bottom with a good amount of movement, so they look more alive and the fish attack it. I usually fish NCs on the bottom and they have minimal movement, so the fish tend to peck at it.

All with a carolina rig, fishing "bait and wait" on the bottom. I guess I should clarify too, that I'm talking about the small power trout worms 3"

FISH ASSAS1N
09-27-2010, 07:43 PM
More than likely it's because the powerworm is really small, and skinny compared to a night crawler. Easier to swallow whole while the crawler is bigger, probably getting hooked when the trout first hits the worm, and begins to take it in whole, and gets lip hooked. Just my thought =)