PDA

View Full Version : Knot Tip of your lifetime!

Greg Madrigal
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
So , have you ever had a pair of fishing boots or shoes, or ANY pair of shoes that simply will NOT STAY TIED throughout the day? Don't throw them away, and don't buy new laces. It's not the shoes....It's your knot!

You know the knot you learned when you were 5? Well with one simple lil change, you will not have this problem any more. If you tie the overhand one way, and then the bow the same way, you have made a slip-prone granny knot. Reverse one or the other and your knot will stay secure all day!

Easiest way to tell if u r doing it right or wrong is to look at the bow. If the two bows are in line (more or less) with your leg and foot, u have a Granny knot. If they stick out to the sides, problem solved. Good luck, it takes some getting used to. After all, you've been doing it the same way since you were 5!

GM<><

EL_CHIDO
09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
That's madness!!!!

Change the way I've been tying my shoe since I was 5? Now?

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Ifishtoolittle
09-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not good with following verbal descriptions a video demonstration would be nice. Thanks.

E.A.R.G.
09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
The knots on my deckboots stay fine! haha

I'm learning how to tie my shoes on a fishing website!!!!

HEMAN
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
i have velcro shoes.. solves my issues. haha. jk.. i'll give it a shot.

EL_CHIDO
09-21-2010, 03:09 PM
I gave it a day in court and....

Works like a charm, plus I'm wearing the kind of boots with "hooks" for the top holes and these always untie but not today!

My advice - Do the 1st knot backwards than you normally would.

Greg Madrigal
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
El chido is right. Change the direction of the first overhnd knot, then do the bow as normal. Glad someone could use it! This was revolutionary for me!

IN2DEEP
09-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Greg, Thank you for sharing this!
You're a genius!!!
I have a pair of work boots that I have to "double tie" the laces so they won't come undone.
I would have never thought that the way I've been tying for fortysomething years is not correct.
I played around with with my lace knot and found that if done correctly, I won't have to double tie any more!

Here are some pics of the changes that I made to my shoelace knot:

This is my normal way to start the overhand knot
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Incorrectoverhandshoelaceknot.jpg

...and this is how the knot looks
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Incorrectshoelaceknot.jpg

Changed the direction of the overhand knot
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Correctoverhandshoelaceknot.jpg

...and this is what a correct shoelace knot should look like and it stays tied!
Like GM said, it will lay square to your shoe and not at an angle
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Correctshoelaceknot.jpg

Now to break the habit
Scott

old pudd fisher
09-25-2010, 09:34 PM
How come we had to wait so long learn that simple thing ? We should have learned that in kindergarten, it would have saved a lot of skinned up knees and elbows.

Electronics Squid
09-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I read this and was confused because I've never had an issue like this...so I grabbed the wife so we could try it...sure enough hers ran in line with her leg and foot and mine went across...so she starts giving me crap about how I've always tied a perfect knot in my laces...

then it hit me...

If everyone else has been doing the Granny knot since they were little, then I screwed it up when I was learning...luckily it was for my benefit...

Mom was right I am special...

Seņor.Chilax
09-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I just tried it and it's AMAZING! HA, really, it looks good. I remember seeing other kids tying their shoes that way(Granny knot) but I just thought they were weird, I guess I'm the weird one. And even now that I did it, it feels weird, like my finger is programmed not to turn that way. Or a better example... Writing with my left hand when I'm right handed. It's some getting used to but I'll see how often I remember. Thanks for the tip Greg and thank you IN2DEEP, those visuals helped a lot.

Greg Madrigal
10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I have been using this technique for a month now with 100% success. What a frickin trip! I, myself, have had to "reprogram" what I learned when I was five. It simply works. Thanks In2Deep for the EXCELLENT photos demonstrating perfectly what I described in my tip. I appreciate the add-on to my post.

I have tried ElChido's way of doing the first knot in the other direction. That does work, but I find mysef gravitating towards flipping the bowtie direction instead. Personal preference. Maybe had I though of that myself in the beginning, I would have never tried it my way.

E-Squid, You are special man! LOL!

GM<><