PDA

View Full Version : What's hot....mammoth area

Lunker1979
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Going up this week on Wednesday and staying at Shady Rest Campground in Mammoth with the family. Going to try and get at least one whole day of fishing in. Can't decide where to go. I know of every place up there and I go up there probably 3-4 times a year. Can't decide if I should hit Convict, Crowley or the loop. Been reading some reports and sounds like everything is pretty good up there. We are also going to take a drive into Yosemite and check out camp grounds there. Anyone have a recommendations for Yosemite campgrounds? I have a 36' Fleetwood and an 09Wrangler we tow behind it. I don't fly fish, I generally toss lures and jigs and my dad does the soaking of the power bait or crawlers. Thanks in advance!!

E.A.R.G.
09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
The loop has been getting stocked pretty heavily with alpers.
I was up at Mary a couple weeks back, and they had done some serious alper stockings! Fish up to 12 pounds.
I only managed to get 1 alper though, 2 1/4. But wide open DFG to keep you busy!

Lunker1979
09-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Ok, I might have tio try Mary then. I think I've only fished that lake maybe once when there was like 3 feet of snow on the ground. That's up there around Mammoth Lake at the top right by Twin? I would love to tie into a 12 pounder.....lol. Biggest I've caught up there was at convict a 6 pounder in 2008 that won me a $100 gift card at the Convict store. I'm excited to head upp...thanks again for the info!

Lunker1979
09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
85 views and 1 response.....thanks guys!~!

IncredibleHuck
09-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Throw some Lip Ripperz on the backside of Convict where the inlet is....

Lunker1979
09-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I think I'm gonna fish Convict for sure. I use the Snot Rocket Lip Ripperz down here.........never tried it up there before. I'm give it a try..thank you sir!

E.A.R.G.
09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
the hottest spot in lake mary by far, in my opinion, is along the road where the lakeside cabins are.
there should be a small dock there, (not the big docks where the rental boats are) and fish just on the right of it. i got my alper last trip on a kastmaster (they work good there). best bait there by a long shot is blown up crawler. They really don't seem to like the powerbait there.
oh and WFO in the middle of the lake, top water, for dfg stockers.

south lake, if you take the boat to the back is wicked where the river comes in. So is convict

TROUT MASTERS
09-22-2010, 11:07 PM
If you have time try lake george,pass the marina on your right,there is a small trail
will take you by the small water fall that goes into the lake,little walk but it will
pay off.2 pound test with kastmaster,or rooster tail,big alpers!!!!!!!
Good luck
:Idea::Idea::Idea:

flocktothewall
09-23-2010, 09:30 AM
south lake, if you take the boat to the back is wicked where the river comes in.

I second that, we were there a while back. There are basically 3 nice inlets at South, and parking of any one of them will give you a good time. The marina has a good price on boat rentals too. Cant beat the scenery.

Lunker1979
09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys.....when you talk about the "south Lake" are you referring to just the southern portion of lake mary? Like I said I've only been there a few times and am not too familiar up there at Mary. I called the Marina and am going to rent a boat all day tomorrow up there from 7am- 7pm, not too bad for 70 bucks. I originally thought maybe there were two lakes......but it doesn't look like that on the map. Just define the "southern lake" for me if you would please....thanks. I want to try that spot. I'm leaving in about 3 hours I am just packing now....thanks!

troutdog
09-23-2010, 12:23 PM
South Lake is in the Bishop Creek Canyon area, great spots to shore fish if you aren't doing the boat thing....always crush it at Silver Lake in the June Loop, but getting a boat or tubing is the ticket here. Good luck and have fun!

TD

golfish
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
keep the good stuff coming fellas :) I'm still not sure what the plan is. I'm thinking South Lake the first night or two and then move on to Crowley. Does anybody know what campgrounds will be open up around the South lake area on Sept 29th? I'm getting mixed reports....

golfish
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Jusy got off my lazy butt and called lake Mary...I was told all the campgrounds are open and this next week is going to be a hot one. I guess my son and I will decide on our way up. These are the best camping trips :)

flocktothewall
09-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Most of the campsites in the Bishop Creek area are first come first serve. To my understanding they are open until the end of October. The higher up the highway you get, the harder to find a site it may get during the weekend, but Big Pine campground usually has some spots.

golfish
09-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I called Sabrina last night, the young lady told me "Bishop Park" campground was the only one open. The Gov sites say some camps are open as late as Oct 1st..Lots and lots of mixed reports on this. I guess I'll find out first hand this Weds when we get up there. I know for sure French camp by Toms Place will be open.

Bebop
09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Good fishing at LakeGeorge but beware of the Bears when you hike back to the stream going into the lake. I have been chased by them because they look for fisherman who catch fish and they are not afraid to rip your back pack or fishing jacket off. If you fish it do it with a boat or float tube and enjoy the fishing. Mary is fine but there are alot of good fishing up there.

golfish
09-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I've heard of them coming down and taking stringers out of the water but never attacking people..

E.A.R.G.
09-27-2010, 04:45 AM
I see bears at Mary on almost every trip.
But they never confront people. Just make sure you lock up everything in the bear box real tight.

Crowley has "world class trout fishing" as Corey would say, but just a warning it also can be REAL hit or miss and that lake is on the larger side. Boat rentals are almost a must and they're quite expensive there. Even with rentals the fish can be hard to find. especially without a finder.