PDA

View Full Version : El Casco Lake, near Fisherman's Retreat

carpanglerdude
09-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Ran across some super old pictures online of this lake, near Redlands and Perris, in San Timoteo Canyon. I've heard there is crazy good fishing there, but that it is off-limits. Does anyone have stories from fishing there before it was locked down? Good, bad?
http://i55.tinypic.com/15gsc36.png

http://i52.tinypic.com/6fru5f.png
Anyway, enjoy the pics.

castle
09-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Last I heard it was filled in and is now a soccer field.

Fish Dog
09-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Last I heard it was filled in and is now a soccer field.

Doesn't look too dry to me...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.9756,+-117.1075&sll=33.976064,-117.108459&sspn=0.056016,0.108318&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

IncredibleHuck
09-20-2010, 08:48 AM
There are some crazy people fishing there. I had a few friends that tried fishing it back in HS and got chased out of there with a guy wielding a shotgun.

BLUE WAGON
09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
wow,, talk about some flash backs,its been 40 years since i fished there.
i remember that place before i even started school,they would hand me a bluegill set up
a box of meal worns and off i would go.as i got older advance to cat rigs.
still have some old home movies, i think late 60's or early 70's they did alot of upgrades to the camping area
became more than just a dirt lot
remember some nice cats being cought there.
good times for sure...

AngryAgent
09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
There is always great fishing where you're not allowed to fish:Envious:

fishmounter
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Someone caught a state record sunfish there some time ago. A Bluegill, Redear or Green Sunfish. Private membership now...camping, etc. for optional clothing nature loving people. Fish naked.

castle
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Doesn't look too dry to me...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33.9756,+-117.1075&sll=33.976064,-117.108459&sspn=0.056016,0.108318&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

Dude, some of these google images areover 10 years old. Drive by it and check again. It is a youth center now!

Sublime-Steve
09-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Its right before fishermans retreat you can see the reeds from the road

carpanglerdude
09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Lol, Castle, I'm pretty sure you are thinking of another spot, the lake is still last I heard.

Did a little more digging around and found it is managed by the Riverside Land Conservancy. They've hosted parties and whatnot there, gotta get to know these people.

bassgrabber1
09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
I camp at Fisherman's R and have never seen that lake...huess i wasn't paying attention.

DarkShadow
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Never heard of it, but my buddy Tama tells me he got some Lake Casco at the back of Priest's Cove at Pyramid once.

2quikmotorwerks
09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
i live down the street from fishermans retreat you definatly see some reeds right before the retreat but its all gate protected so i dont know whats on the other side mybay i should do some checking

2quikmotorwerks
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Well i had a lil free time to go investigate while waiting for parts. The lake does still exist although now its really more of a huge pond i wouldnt call it a lake by any means, it is enclosed by a chainlink with no trespassing posted everywhere, the are also a few house on the property as well so im assuming it is for private use now. Anyhow if anyone wants to go check it out maybe try a lil ninja fishing thens heres the addy

31751 lakeshore dr

heres 2 pics i snaped with my blackberry

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/2quikmotorwerks/elcasco2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/2quikmotorwerks/elcasco1.jpg

Sublime-Steve
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Nice recon man wonder what would happen if we knocked on the door n asked to fish lol

2quikmotorwerks
09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice recon man wonder what would happen if we knocked on the door n asked to fish lol
i was tempted, and i still might just go back and ask a lil later on,lol

carpanglerdude
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey, great pics and recon report.

castle
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe they saved 1 of the lakes I hope?

bassgrabber1
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Funny but I think I have seen these pics somewhere on the site before...not saying that you didn'y take them but I think someone has taken the same angles as you. Ok really....someone go knock on the door and ask if it can be fished. If the people say yes, then you should just PM the people that are intrested because you know what happens if everyone catches wind of a new fishing hole.......:Fishing Hole:

fishmounter
09-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I talked to a guy at Fairmount and he said a fisherman caught an 18 lb bass there a while back (C & R), and also that Florida Bass and Bluegill from Perris were put in there about 10 years ago.... That's what he said, but might be bs..?

2quikmotorwerks
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Funny but I think I have seen these pics somewhere on the site before...not saying that you didn'y take them but I think someone has taken the same angles as you. Ok really....someone go knock on the door and ask if it can be fished. If the people say yes, then you should just PM the people that are intrested because you know what happens if everyone catches wind of a new fishing hole.......:Fishing Hole:
well you havent seen my pics before because i just took them earlier today , i live 5 mins away from the place and can go take pics at will, would you like me to go snap some night shots as well?

jonnyfishon
09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
El Casco lake is still there for sure, but the general public is not allowed to fish it!

bassgrabber1
09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
well you havent seen my pics before because i just took them earlier today , i live 5 mins away from the place and can go take pics at will, would you like me to go snap some night shots as well?

Like I said....I know you took them but I have seen some pics a while back from the same angles.....didn't call u a liar...

Sublime-Steve
09-23-2010, 09:41 AM
I say 15 of us go there like a lynch mob with poles in hand demanding to let us fish it... or we could ask nicely :)

IncredibleHuck
09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I say 15 of us go there like a lynch mob with poles in hand demanding to let us fish it... or we could ask nicely :)

And thats when they come out with the rock salt shells. Believe me we got shot at years ago back in 96'.

reptile dude007
09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Any updates?

Jester
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/agendas/2004/2004_06_22/03.12.pdf

Sublime-Steve
01-03-2011, 05:33 AM
can someone read that n tell me what it means? lol

exfactor
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
It means that a conservency bought the property, to protect it from any intrusions, including making it into a parking lot. Really, just more private treehugging property. Look at the ducks Fred, aren't they pretty!

bassgrabber1
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
It means that a conservency bought the property, to protect it from any intrusions, including making it into a parking lot. Really, just more private treehugging property. Look at the ducks Fred, aren't they pretty!

They sure are Bill...lol

I M Hooked
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
LOL I actually have asked before. I was basically told to get the F out. However a freind of mine knows one of the homeowners yet he doesnt fish. So ive been trying to get him to get me perission for like 2 yrs now. It can be Ninja'd you just dont want to get caught. They dont play around about keeping trespassers off their property.

BigBassHogExpert
01-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I have caught numerous hog bass there, so do believe the hype. However, if you really want to get on some pig LMB's pm me and I'll tell you about a secret pond near Temecula that is off the hook.

Surfnsnowboard3
04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Bump for this. I live in Fairway Canyon, 5 minaway from this lake. And Ive never Heard of it. Anybody fish it since last post? Or want to go with me?

carpanglerdude
04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Bump for this. I live in Fairway Canyon, 5 minaway from this lake. And Ive never Heard of it. Anybody fish it since last post? Or want to go with me?

Lol, if you actually manage to a)get in and b) catch stuff, please share, would be interested to see. I drove by it yesterday...

smokehound
04-05-2011, 01:53 AM
I have caught numerous hog bass there, so do believe the hype. However, if you really want to get on some pig LMB's pm me and I'll tell you about a secret pond near Temecula that is off the hook. Liar, liar, pants-on-fire.

bassgrabber1
04-05-2011, 08:19 AM

It is there but you will never get in. Its like 1/4 before FR if you are coming from Redlands.

DarkShadow
04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
However, if you really want to get on some pig LMB's pm me and I'll tell you about a secret pond near Temecula that is off the hook.

LOL!

The memories.

Does this secret pond also have smallmouth from Colorado?

RTG
04-05-2011, 09:25 AM
This is a fact...the lake has plenty of bass, bluegill, catfish and a few crappies. They won't let the public fish there but there are a few privileged that get in. I am not one of them but one of my good buddies is. He just went in there the other day and caught a few bass. He sent me a couple of pictures of one of the bass that he caught (about 14 inches). There is a caretaker on the property and he's pretty quick to run out trespassers and he will call the S.O. I have been invited to fish there but I was told the caretaker wants a few bucks so I passed on it. The guys that fish there float-tube it and there is a small rowboat.

mudskipper76
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
have fished it a couple of times but there are reeds all around the lake so access is limited to the side where the houses are at and a couple of spots by the trees. there is a dilapidated skeleton of a dock/ bridge type structure this is about 12 feet high off the lake surface, sketchy. never caught anything but you can bet its fishy. never ran into the ranger though im down to kick in some $ if need be for the opportunity to fish it.

smokehound
04-05-2011, 11:35 AM
LOL!

The memories.

Does this secret pond also have smallmouth from Colorado?Toxic stripers, also.

jonnyfishon
04-22-2011, 02:21 PM
its there but its private property, well dont be scared give it a ninja , have heard of big flathead cats there!

jpod
08-17-2011, 11:54 PM
I have caught numerous hog bass there, so do believe the hype. However, if you really want to get on some pig LMB's pm me and I'll tell you about a secret pond near Temecula that is off the hook.

were is this spot near temecula u speak of please let me kno i tried to pm u

DarkShadow
08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Hahaha, the secret pond in temecula strikes again.

jpod
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Hahaha, the secret pond in temecula strikes again.

please let me kno lol

AbsolutePig
08-18-2011, 11:42 AM
please let me kno lol

Don't listen to that guy about the secret pond.......as you see and you can't even PM him....lol. I work for the SO and my station covers the Fisherman's Retreat area. I'll go fish it and see what's up. I don't think I'll get arrested or shot......lol. When I post a pic of a 15Lber I catch out of there I'm going to laugh my a s s off......

jpod
08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
hahah ya i tried to pm him hahahah but man that would be awsome go fish it send pics asap lol

AbsolutePig
08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
hahah ya i tried to pm him hahahah but man that would be awsome go fish it send pics asap lol

I'm going tomorrow evening or Saturday morning.........I'll let ya know.

jpod
08-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Don't listen to that guy about the secret pond.......as you see and you can't even PM him....lol. I work for the SO and my station covers the Fisherman's Retreat area. I'll go fish it and see what's up. I don't think I'll get arrested or shot......lol. When I post a pic of a 15Lber I catch out of there I'm going to laugh my a s s off......

whats the S O and how would i get a job lol

Skyler
08-18-2011, 03:41 PM
whats the S O and how would i get a job lol
You just have to complete a post academy, go through a extensive background, psychological, and physical agility test, and be willing to put up with a lot of crap, lol. SO stands for Sheriffs Office btw.

CatchaBassKickaCat
09-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Lmao! Thats putting the cuffs to em! My my the webs we weave when at first we......You know the rest:Envious:

flyhigh123
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
back from the dead bump

castle
09-28-2012, 06:51 PM
My only question is, why is this always being brought up from the past?

JAYBO837
10-17-2012, 03:51 AM
I GREW UP LIVING AT el caso ...as far as I last heard,the lakes were closed stil...since like..1993 or so..Back then the reasons were insurance...and also perhaps a few county issues..There were a dozen or so small cabin like structures and several smallere homes .I hear that San Timeteo CNY. is mostly golf course's...and now private neighborhoods????

JAYBO837
10-17-2012, 03:52 AM
I GREW UP LIVING AT el caso ...as far as I last heard,the lakes were closed stil...since like..1993 or so..Back then the reasons were insurance...and also perhaps a few county issues..There were a dozen or so small cabin like structures and several smallere homes .I hear that San Timeteo CNY. is mostly golf course's...and now private neighborhoods????

but yes, VERY GOOD FISHING!!!

sumodnb
11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
The lakes were closed off to the public after the drowning of a 4 year old boy. I live 5 minutes away but a ninja is out of the question for me, creeps me out.

carpanglerdude
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
The lakes were closed off to the public after the drowning of a 4 year old boy. I live 5 minutes away but a ninja is out of the question for me, creeps me out.

When did this tragedy occur? First time I heard about it.

sumodnb
11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
saw this thread a while back and i became super curious so i began investigating since i live so close. I finally found someone who used to frequent the lake and who knew the owners of one of the cabins on the far end. He said they used to go there quite often. I guess the boy was unattended while his family picniced and unfortunately drowned in the pond. Lawsuit followed and fence went up not long after. If you go by you will notice it really hasnt been touched since.....the skiff is still sitting on shore and creeps me out bigtime.

P.s. my source for this story also showed me a tiny pond right down the street where the bronzebacks live :) but again, i don't like fishin with ghosts ;)

carpanglerdude
11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
saw this thread a while back and i became super curious so i began investigating since i live so close. I finally found someone who used to frequent the lake and who knew the owners of one of the cabins on the far end. He said they used to go there quite often. I guess the boy was unattended while his family picniced and unfortunately drowned in the pond. Lawsuit followed and fence went up not long after. If you go by you will notice it really hasnt been touched since.....the skiff is still sitting on shore and creeps me out bigtime.

P.s. my source for this story also showed me a tiny pond right down the street where the bronzebacks live :) but again, i don't like fishin with ghosts ;)

There's a few ponds out that way...Initials F.L. or D.L. mean anything to you? If that has bronzebacks, it's gotta be deep...tiny pond...

Wish I could find a few spots in the San Timeteo Creekbed that have fish, even dinky sunfish or carp. That place has always interested me but it seems too shallow.

sumodnb
11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
up palmer, across C.V., artificial pond with a small bridge over it and heavy reed growth so you can hide from the main office.