PDA

View Full Version : 09-18-10 overnighter on the westerly

E.A.R.G.
09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
We chartered the westerly out of pierpoint landing.

I guess bad reports are just as important as good reports?

Take of this report what you wish.

I called the captain the night before asking what we would be going for. He said rockfish and calicos.
I kinda didn't feel right about fishing for those on an overnighter trip to catalina. Maybe a 3/4 day local or maybe even a full day to catalina, but definitely not an overnighter. I asked if we would be targeting the bonito that the other full day boats had been hitting at the island (The day before one boat went 150 bonito 2-7lb class for 30 anglers) and the captain said maybe. I asked about the sporadic schoolie yellows off the front side and he said no, only the small boats can get those. He made it pretty clear that rockfish and calicos were what he wanted to target.

Captain pulls up front side to try to make squid. No squid floated, so he shut off the lights after about an hour and I knocked out. Woke up to grey light, still in the same place. Tried fishing but there was absolutely nothing around. Captain gets up at around 6 A.M. to move to the first stop. (That was the first thing that got me, wasting gray light bite on moving?)
Captain moved to a rock fish spot that produced nothing. But we stayed for a couple hours or so. Wasted gray light on rock fish that didn't produce.

Long story short, we hit 2 rockfish spots and then we went... you got it... perch fishing.

I ended up with about 20 short calicos, 1 legal calico, 1 sheep, 4 rockfish. And I had one of the most fish caught on the boat.

Went home checked the counts
Westerly Overnight 21 anglers- 19 Halfmoon, 210 Rockfish, 8 California Sheephead, 46 Kelp Bass, 21 Ocean Whitefish

The counts were more about 50 rockfish, 15 halfmoon, 3 sheephead, 15 calicos, 5 whitefish.

The numbers were soooo fudged on this trip.
But I guess alotta these boats have been fudging numbers.

The deck hands were real cool, the galley chef was amazing. The captain really left a bad taste. He really came up this trip though, we moved only about 2 miles up the island the whole trip.

I probably won't be returning to their boat.

Lot of fun still with good friends, good company, great food, and fishing.

if you guys are thinking about chartering though, I would consider a different option though.

TIGHT LINES
earg

Ifishtoolittle
09-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Wait aren't you able to call the shots on what to target if you or your friends chartered the boat? Yeah I had a similar experience and it left me with a real sour taste for the boat the deckhands were slow to gaff and the captain was looking for tuna in 60 degree water. Also fish counts being messed with? Nice. Wow. Still sounds like you and your group had fun and that's all that matters.

Monkeerow
09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Yo erico, thanks for coming out on my trip. You definitely helped everyone out a great deal. Next time, no worries, it'll be a different boat for sure.

DockRat
09-19-2010, 06:17 AM
That sucks. EARG you can come to KH for Bonto off the rocks for free. Cuda too, you could catch Wahoo too :LOL:

Is that Westerly the same boat that used to be a dive boat at 22 nd st ?
Did a Catalina dive trip on it in 1980.

DR

BALLERONBUDGET
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
YEAH SORRY TO HEAR UR STORY..... I WROTE SIMILARLY ON A LOCAL UN NAMED BOAT AND SEEMED TO GET BLASTED..... BUT WHEN UR THERE AND SEE WHAT COMES UP AND WHAT GETS FILETED AND OR BROUGHT WHOLE, U KNOW #s DIDNT ADD UP..... OR SEEEMD THAT THEY COUNTED SHORT TOSS BACKS . AND IF THEY DID THATS BS.........
IVE RODE THE BERTH 55 BOATS WITH GOOD +POSITIVE RESULTS IF THAT HELPS UR CHOICE NEXT TIME.... GOOD CAPTNS AND CREWS!

murrieta angler
09-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear about the trip Eric.
Unfortunately there are dishonest, lazy and incompetant people in this world.
On the bright side, you were out fishing with friends.
Take Care,
Robert

jiggaman
09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
We chartered the westerly out of pierpoint landing.

I guess bad reports are just as important as good reports?

Take of this report what you wish.

I called the captain the night before asking what we would be going for. He said rockfish and calicos.
I kinda didn't feel right about fishing for those on an overnighter trip to catalina. Maybe a 3/4 day local or maybe even a full day to catalina, but definitely not an overnighter. I asked if we would be targeting the bonito that the other full day boats had been hitting at the island (The day before one boat went 150 bonito 2-7lb class for 30 anglers) and the captain said maybe. I asked about the sporadic schoolie yellows off the front side and he said no, only the small boats can get those. He made it pretty clear that rockfish and calicos were what he wanted to target.

Captain pulls up front side to try to make squid. No squid floated, so he shut off the lights after about an hour and I knocked out. Woke up to grey light, still in the same place. Tried fishing but there was absolutely nothing around. Captain gets up at around 6 A.M. to move to the first stop. (That was the first thing that got me, wasting gray light bite on moving?)
Captain moved to a rock fish spot that produced nothing. But we stayed for a couple hours or so. Wasted gray light on rock fish that didn't produce.

Long story short, we hit 2 rockfish spots and then we went... you got it... perch fishing.

I ended up with about 20 short calicos, 1 legal calico, 1 sheep, 4 rockfish. And I had one of the most fish caught on the boat.

Went home checked the counts
Westerly Overnight 21 anglers- 19 Halfmoon, 210 Rockfish, 8 California Sheephead, 46 Kelp Bass, 21 Ocean Whitefish

The counts were more about 50 rockfish, 15 halfmoon, 3 sheephead, 15 calicos, 5 whitefish.

The numbers were soooo fudged on this trip.
But I guess alotta these boats have been fudging numbers.

The deck hands were real cool, the galley chef was amazing. The captain really left a bad taste. He really came up this trip though, we moved only about 2 miles up the island the whole trip.

I probably won't be returning to their boat.

Lot of fun still with good friends, good company, great food, and fishing.

if you guys are thinking about chartering though, I would consider a different option though.

TIGHT LINES
earg
You should have payed the extra and fished clemente because thats about all you can expect to catch at catalina right now the bonito are small even and the yellows are a strictly small boat bite right now. Its tough unless your fishing on a private boat

JapanRon
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi E.A.R.G.,

Thanks for the straight report ........ I never try to outguess the skipper but ..... I too can count ! :) Assume the skipper was the regular captain.

One thing about it .... that boat has one of the cheapest rates around .... well ..... at least on the weekdays for sure.

Better luck next time.

PS .... At least they didn't put Mackerel in the count as I saw a boat fishing Catalina do !! ha ha ha

JapanRon

klocked
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
You'll get em next time for sure Eric. At least you were fishing with your buds, that always seems to make up for a slow bite.

trandc9
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
It happened same here for us with different boat. Feel so bad for you guys, should got better treat.

They are whinning that they don't have enough customers for this year, they don't make enough moneys .... blah blah .... but when they do have customers, they f***ed up. They were spoiled . I am tired of begging for their services while paid for it.

TROUT MASTERS
09-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the info.
Im not too crazy about saltwater fishing,
but some of the boats i went out with,never had much luck other than
same problem you had

Cangler
09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
YEAH SORRY TO HEAR UR STORY..... I WROTE SIMILARLY ON A LOCAL UN NAMED BOAT AND SEEMED TO GET BLASTED..... BUT WHEN UR THERE AND SEE WHAT COMES UP AND WHAT GETS FILETED AND OR BROUGHT WHOLE, U KNOW #s DIDNT ADD UP..... OR SEEEMD THAT THEY COUNTED SHORT TOSS BACKS . AND IF THEY DID THATS BS.........
IVE RODE THE BERTH 55 BOATS WITH GOOD +POSITIVE RESULTS IF THAT HELPS UR CHOICE NEXT TIME.... GOOD CAPTNS AND CREWS!

I'd take 55 over Pierpoint any day

DockRat
09-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Im not too crazy about saltwater fishing,

I'd like to see you with your trout rod and 4 lb test on a KH Bonito.
Many say pound for pound Bonito are the toughest fighting in the salt.

4 lb Bonito fights like a 10 lb native trout. Put your drag washers to the test.
Go 2 lb for anyone who thinks they have skills. :EyePop:
DR

Jig-Guy
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
I am with Cangler, I have fished out of Pier 55 and had a good time with no BS. These landings do not understand that an old guy like me keeps score of what thay do good or bad.
I will be back in San Diego trying to catch a tuna next week. Went 2 weeks ago and got the skunk. No big deal I knew the crew of the Holiday was doing a good job for all of us.
The landings that do not make the customers happy will be gone next spring.
TL
Jig-Guy