PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine / Consultation Lake Fishing ?

tpfishnfool
09-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Climbing Mt Whitney Sept 21-23 and was wondering if I should bring a rod to fish lone pine lake and or consultation lake on the way down. Anygood
Thanks for any tips..

teejay
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I attempted a day hike up Whitney in the Fall season several years ago. I arrived at the portal after dark and spent the night in the back of the jeep. Because of time constaints with trying to pull the hike off, I didnt bring my pole along. Although I passed the lakes in question, I'm not sure how they fish. I didn't notice any active feeding going on.
However, the morning of my hike, I heard loud commotions comming from the pond at the portal store. Curious, I walked over and saw a large number of nice rainbows jumping around and splashing in the water like it was a public pool on a hot summer dayl. Believe me, if I would have had my pole, I would have nixed the hike.
At the least, bring your pole along and keep it in the trunk. You never know.

mudskipper76
09-19-2010, 02:04 PM
tpfishinfool, i climbed whitney this past labor day weekend and yes bring your rod! i contemplated it but after weighing my pack, decided against it. bad move on my part. lone pine and mirror lake were going off and all i could do was watch from shore as the fish did their best to taunt me. check the regs as i believe its barb-less hooks and artificial's only. good luck with the climb!!