PDA

View Full Version : Where to Camp and Fish in Yosemite

gavin310
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm going out to Yosemite with a few friends and I'm looking for a recommendation on where we can camp and fish. I'd like to fish a river so I can bring my fly rod, but we'll be fishing with regular spinning reels too. There's some newbies coming so we don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to be in a normal campground with running water and bathrooms and also a bear locker would be nice. Oh and if we can camp right on a fishable river that would be perfect. Anything like that out there? Any recommendations would be helpful.

JAG107
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
You'd be better off fishing for yellow-legged mountain frogs. They quit stocking any fish up there from what I've heard. Camping though, lots of nice sites right under half dome in the valley, just go to reserveusa.com and see what's available. Good luck

Sparky70
09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Yea, there are also 3 legged mice that fly at night up there...they also eat yellow-legged mountian frogs and eat Bear Sh**!:Angry::Angry::Angry:

flocktothewall
09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Just returned from Tuolumne meadows, had a great time camping and enjoying the scenery. We asked the Ranger where the best place to catch fish was, he drew us a map, and told us that was the spot where he had heard the biggest brown trout was caught. He said it was, 13". First sign that we should have just enjoyed the scenery.

We went to that spot, I caught 1 fish, maybe 8" The problem is like previous posters mentioned they don't stock Yosemite. The ranger actually told me they want the fish out of the rivers, because they are killing the frog mentioned above. He told me that the person in charge of the Nat'L parks told him that of all the rules to be enforced in Yosemite, the rule least cared about is the fishing limit. He said if we can catch more than the limit to take them out.

We didn't. The rivers in Yosemite are so clear, the fish can see you from 50 yards out, you literally need to crawl to the banks, to try to get them. By our third day in Tuolumne, we gave up and packed the fishing gear back up and just enjoyed the scenery.

But your luck may be different. I did notice that of all the people there, we were probably the only ones fishing the rivers.

gavin310
09-21-2010, 12:29 AM
thanks for the info guys. i'm gonna post up a new thread asking about my next camping option... Bishop