PDA

View Full Version : been skunkin'

Fusionwerks
09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
first time poster... long time reader. damn guys, my girl and i have been going out there recently and spending the day putting around on the rentals, trying to get some of these stripers! but all we have been getting is sunburned. we have brought every piece of tackle we own here and cant come up with anything. im going out solo next wed (22nd) and friday (24th) with my father in law whos in town from arkansas. it would be really embarrassing to skunk with him onboard cause i would never hear the end of it for as long as i live. ANYBODY want to help a desperate fisherman with some SPECIFIC tips on what i can do to increase my chances? PM me if you dont feel the need to share with the world. Please??? FYI, all i have is spinning rods with 6-12# line.

sweetfish
09-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Gold kastmasters, topwater walking baits (spooks - chrome), scrounger jigheads with tiny shad colored flukes, and small crocodile spoons. These all have worked for largemouths. As for stripers, just have to find them when they are chasing bait at the surface, usually by the feeder area. I don't know what the other guys are doing to catch their limits, but I have been doing fairly well with these baits for largemouths.

good luck.

Fusionwerks
09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
where is the feeder area? i typically stay on the east side of the lake cause im in the rental and it takes half the day to get to the other dam.

sweetfish
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Between West dam and Saddleback dam. White tower in this pic.

Fusionwerks
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks sweetfish, so im assuming that most of my poor luck has been laziness of SLOWLY driving over to that side of the lake? i just hate getting out in the really choppy water in those rentals late in the day. can they make tham any less powerful?

caddyjack
09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
WEST DAM look for boils and birds throw shad like top water lure Keep on the move until it dies down then focus on points and dropoff's holding bait