PDA

View Full Version : Late Reports & My 2 Cents on a Guide Service

Big Country
09-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Lucky enough to do 2 trips the past few weeks, so here's my reports:

Trip #1
Spent the past weekend up there on a "business" trip with the buddies. Fished Friday at Silver Lake and absolutely killed it. Between 4 of us, we caught close to 80 fish all stocker size on anything red and gold. We fished from a boat ($30 1/2 day or $41 for full day - what a steal) and did it trolling, anchored with bait and/or throwing lures. This was one of the sickest bites I seen up there in a while for a group of guys. Usually one of us has the hot stick, but never all 4 of us at the same time. We spent the afternoon golfing at Sierra Star back in Mammoth. Saturday we hit Gull with 9 of us on a pontoon boat for the 1/2 day. Again pretty solid fishing all morning, this time on baits such as gulp eggs and worms, pb and good ol nightcrawlers. Fishing 9 guys on a pontoon was kind of like the old days fishing the sand bass beds on the flats. Good times and we spent the afternoon golfing at Snow Creek. Sunday was the Steeler game so there was not much fishing until the afternoon when we hit the Owens and McGee. This was definitely the slowest fishing we found all weekend. Monday we were on our way back down. Everything we caught at every lake/stream was stocker size so I didn't bust the camera out for anything.

TRIP #2
Just before school started back up, the wife, daughter and I headed to Mammoth for a week of r&r. Not a lot of fishing going on with the exception of a guided trip I booked with Ray from Stay Bent Sportfishing up on the Res. The couple of weeks leading up to our trip, I saw a lot of reports on how he was killing it and flyfishing is something that my daughter and I had never done before. A couple of e-mails is all it took to get it set up. The day of our trip, we met Ray at the marina, climbed on his boat and bombed out to his spot where buckeye comes into the res. It took my daughter all of 5 minutes to get her first flyrod fish on board thanks to Ray's instruction. From that point on, we boated probably 25 to 30 classic Bport footballs all the way up to a beautiful 20+" fish my kid landed with her first cast. THIS TRIP WAS EPIC & MY DAUGHTER HAD THE TIME OF HER LIFE!!! Upon getting back to the marina, she looked at me when we got to the truck and said "we are doing this again next year with the same guy."

Like many people reading this, I have a pretty good idea how to bait and lure fish in the sierras and have caught my fair share of toads along the way. I never thought I would take to flyfishing that much. Boy was I wrong. After spending the morning with Ray, I have a new addiction that I now have to contend with. I found him to be very easy going, a guy that really cares about the fishery up there and perhaps the most important thing, he was awesome when working with my daughter. I've never used any other guides up there, so I don't have anything to compare his service too, but in my opinion he was top notch and the proof was in the fish we put on board and my daughter's smile all the way back down to mammoth. Thanks Ray - and we look forward to hanging fish with you again next year.

Here's a couple of pics of my kid shying away from a trout, but happy nonetheless.

SierraPeaks
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Very cool. Great report & pics. Glad to hear the loops on fire. Did you happen to hear how BP Twins were fishing ?

Sierra_Smitty
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Nice job out there!

And by the way - a few of my guests have fished with Stay Bent and they all rave about the experience.

Big Country
09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
We didn't get to bport this past weekend so I have nothing to offer about the twins. We did book our place for 11/4 through 11/7 and I guarantee I'll be fishing those locations then.

bstolton
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
very cool glad to her the loop is hot, I am leaving in 6 hours for june. congrats on the guide trip with your daughter those are memories that last forever.

billy b
09-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Mundo (Rey) knows what he's doing on the reservoir. He definitely put us on fish. I must have said something wrong ... because the last event or so wasn't so positive.

flocktothewall
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I completely agree with the value of a Guide. We went to Mammoth in July, and we hired Harry, from MammothFlyFishingAdventures.com and hit up Hot Creek. I had a basic knowledge of Fly Fishing, but man what he showed me, and the advice he gave, helped my fishing skills exponentially. He was super nice, and it was a great time. I tell all my friends, to hire a guide, its so helpful to just get some pointers and experience.

Sounds like you had a great time. Welcome to the addiction of Fly fishing!

Beancounter
09-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Glad to see you had a great time!
It makes it so much more special when your kids love it as much as you do.

sb fishing
09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words....

Trout-Slayer77
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM
thanks for the report and pics !! glad to hear you guys had a great time !

Mundo (Rey, at Stay Bent) is the guy you want guiding you when fishing any of the bridgeport area lakes and rivers !! Awesome dude to spend a day out on the lake with. Put me and my group on 40+ fish in just a few hours last time i was up there. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/McNocturnal/therez.jpg