http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11329501

E.A.R.G.
09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
OOOh thats rough...

DockRat
09-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Knarley !

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

San Onofre State Beach — On September 17, 2010 Christian Garner was surfing 'Old Man's' at San Onofre State Beach. It was 7:45 AM and he had been on the water 45 minutes. It was overcast with an estimated air temperature of 57 degrees Fahrenheit. There were chest high waves with smooth conditions and a slight offshore wind. The water temperature estimated at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Garner recalled; “I had been surfing for approximately 45 minutes and was paddling back out after a long ride. A larger set was coming through, so I paddled slightly past the line up to catch my breath. While sitting on my board, a shark jumped out of the water in a vertical trajectory approximately 50 yards directly in front of me. The shark's body did not come completely out of the water; I would estimate approximately 50% to 75% of the shark came clear. The body was in a turning motion, and was huge. The shark fell back in the water and disappeared. The episode was quite violent and fast. The shark was grey and white with an estimated length of 12 feet, when considered relative to stand up surfers typically seen at that distance. I remained in the water for another 30 minutes (there were lots of people), but remained in a little closer. No other sightings.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Sunset Beach — On September 16, 2010 Gerry Wallfesh reported the following; “I saw 2 breaches' today while Stand Up Paddle surfing at Sunset Beach. The first occurred around 6:55AM approximately 50 feet North of the buoy. The shark was 6 – 8 feet in length. There were 2 surfers closer to the point than me and they left the water shortly thereafter. Randy Wright was taking photos from the rocks and also witnessed the breaching. The second breach took place in the same vicinity (North of the buoy) at around 8:00AM. The shark was the same approximate length and color (same shark?). I was closer to the point this time, and there were maybe 4 or 5 surfers near the stairs, when the shark breached. Randy was also present. The surf was 1 – 3 feet, with a slight wind chop and it was sunny. I paddled out to the splashdown area both times, and did not see any fish in the water in this area. A pod of about 8 or 10 dolphins did swim in from off-shore to the breaching vicinity around 8:15AM. I paddled with them briefly, and then they swam to the South.“ Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

La Jolla — On September 14, 2010 Sofia Smallstorm reported the following: “I was swimming by myself at around 3:45 PM. I was approximately 1/4 mile from shore at the ‘A' buoy (first yellow buoy). The day was clear, the water was 62 degrees and there was a bit of a breeze. I was on my way back to shore when the shark crossed beneath me. It was about 5 or 6 feet under me, swimming very purposefully. The visibility was not great, but I saw a solid jumbo-jet-shaped, somewhat rigid, body under me that seemed light gray in color and about 4 feet long. I did not get a chance to see fins or a tail, but I do not think it was a sea lion, due to the shape and the way it was swimming. I continued to swim, as there was no point doing anything else. I did feel a bit nervous after a while -- especially worried about my feet kicking behind me. I reported this to the lifeguards when I got back in. The shark had a very strong-looking body.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Latigo Point — On September 10, 2010 Brent Mandel was Stand Up Paddle Boarding some 50 – 75 yards from shore at Latigo Point, located about one mile North of the Malibu Pier, Malibu. It was about 11:40 AM and he had been on the water 2 hours. The sky was clear and there was no detectible breeze with air and water temperatures estimated in the mid-60s and upper 50s Fahrenheit, respectively. One California Sea Lion, Zalophus californianus, was observed in the area prior to the encounter. Mandel reported; “I was told by another surfer of what appeared to be a dead California Sea Lion. My morbid curiosity took me to check it out before ending my surf session. Once at the location of the dead Sea Lion I observed a large wound to the rear 1/3 of the animal's torso, round in shape about 10 – 12 inches in diameter. It appeared to be a bite. As I went to paddle away, the carcass rolled and I saw a dorsal fin dart away and then a vertical tail splash. I sat down on my board and watched as a White Shark, 5 – 6 feet in length, timidly did a figure eight at a depth of 2 – 4 feet below the surface. It appeared to be deciding whether to eat the rest of the Sea Lion. The shark had a dorsal fin about 12 inches high with a defined demarcation between the light grey on top of the body and lighter color below. I slowly paddled away, watching to see if the shark was interested in me, but it appeared to not even notice or care I was there.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/jmmalfa/jaws_shark.jpg