PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday 9-14 Upper on the fly

hookjaw77
09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Got on the water about 7:00 and the water was 72 degrees, kinda warm. Saw a couple of fish break along the edges and eased in with the trolling motor. Throwing a chartreuse flash tail clouser and hooked up with a hard pulling schoolie, sure thought he was bigger by the looks on the bent rod.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q34/hookjaw77/IMGP1669.jpg
Got it up to the top and it was a midget on steroids.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q34/hookjaw77/IMGP1670.jpg
My friend John T was throwing a flashtail whistler and got a really soft take but the fight was a pretty good pull. Took a while to get the fish up to see the color and should have guessed, a stinking green fish that won't eat worth a darn. put him on the scales at 4 1/2 pounds.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q34/hookjaw77/IMGP1668.jpg
We hooked a few more but couldn't get them to the boat and the jig was up, they knew we were there. Made a move back to the ramp area where John T picked up another schoolie on a small clouser and then headed back toward the fishing arm. Spotted a boil along the way and pulled in tight to the bank and waited for them to come up again. When they did I got a white streamer right in their zone and got hooked up for one more LDR.(long distance release).
I guess we spooked them out so we made another move to a likely looking spot and picked off one more decent jailbird.
After visiting the place where Sharon rests, we headed back south and fire went out in the big engine and had to limp in on the trolling motor. John's hat had blown off and I figured it had been sucked up into the jet drive. After further inspection back at the dock, there wasn't anything blocking the impellor so we decided the fun was over and headed back to B-town.
Got an appointment with the boat doctor. later
Swanee

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
nice flyrod action there guys....very nice..

Times a comin' for some sick fly action as well...should get better : )

Man, that makes me miss my flyrod, I flyfished for years as a teen...one of these days I'll have ta dust off the ol' roll cast : )

nice work !

congrats
Gary

fishnfrk05
09-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Awesome job on the fly, what weight rod do you throw the clousers on?

Mr.DieHard
09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
nnniice, must of been lots of fun. Congrats.

hookjaw77
09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
We are using 8 and 9 weights but a 7 weight will handle the small ones. That bendo shot is an 8 weight and a good sized schoolie will double it up.

TroutOnly
09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
STRIPEYS ON THE FLY , SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS OL HOOKJAW77,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

Boldfin
09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Your report inspired me to head up to the lake Friday morning 9-17 for just the early morning bite. Didn't have time to bring my boat, so just shore fishing. I hit the main ramp and had it all to myself. Boils were happenin' and a mix of Stripers and LMB were chasing small shad around. Started out chucking a Crease Fly, and got plenty of strikes, but all from juvenile LMB - no more than 6" long. Switched flies to a sinking shad pattern, and that worked better. Got two LMB in the three to four pound range, and a couple schoolie stripers. Sun hit the cove and the bite shut down. Not bad for an hour and a half of fly chucking from shore. We still need to hook up soon.

hookjaw77
09-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Gotta pick up my boat in Paso probably Wed. and I think I will run up to San Antone to see if I can find any boils or any evening bite. Also going to give the crawdad a try.......getting desperate for a big pull.
Swanee