PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling Vs Dive fins

Maz
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Which do you prefer for tubing and why?

Ive read conflicting arguments claiming either was superior to the other for the same reasons (less energy used to move, move faster, etc...)

Thanks.

HEMAN
09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
oooh.. i'm interested to hear this too.. i dont know how much difference there is though. I think the flexibility of them and if they are split or not may make more of a difference?
i'll just sit back and listen to the results..

AngryAgent
09-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I can't say anything about the dive fins cuz I haven't used them but in most cases they are much bigger and for hiking purposes smaller=better. I can tell you that cheap fins such as the caddis fins and some others have left me tired and not moving about as quickly as a good pair of fins like Hotspots or Force Fins. As the saying goes you get what you pay for..

sonarbp
09-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I got the force fins.....WAY OVER RATED!! I got fins made just for tubin....WAY OVER RATED! I have found that the cheap $15 pair of dive fins I got at Sports Authority work the best for me. I have buddies that use HotSpots and I can keep up with them with very little effort.

Maz you saw what fins I use....in my opinion you really don't need more!

sonarbp

AngryAgent
09-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I got the force fins.....WAY OVER RATED!! I got fins made just for tubin....WAY OVER RATED! I have found that the cheap $15 pair of dive fins I got at Sports Authority work the best for me. I have buddies that use HotSpots and I can keep up with them with very little effort.

Maz you saw what fins I use....in my opinion you really don't need more!

sonarbp

That's crazy that you don't like the Force Fins. I have used everything from $30.00 to $200.00 and I didn't like the lower end stuff because it wears you out twice as fast trying to get you through the water. If they don't work for you they don't work, I can't argue another mans opinion when he has worn them for himself but I will say that I can't say I know of another soul who has Force Fins and doesn't like them or thinks they're over rated. Just sayin..

I will say that I think Force Fins are way overpriced and should be more around the same price as Hotspots or a little bit above. $200.00 dollars is a joke I agree but I don't think they are in the same class as the cheap fins for most fisherman.

See Chris Fish
09-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I use a diving fin that's split. Picked them up at Sports Chalet for like $40, years ago. It's the type of fin I was used to using. I cruise around with very little effort and have no complaints. I wear sockingfoot waders, so I had to get an XL size to go over the socks.

Swank909
09-16-2010, 12:11 AM
I'd swear by my ForceFins, nothing seems to work as good for me in the salt (only thing i've had to compare with are some caddis fins though). An 8 hour session in the harbor will have you begging for some good fins.

Daryl
09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
If you don't want to drop $200 on a pair of Force Fins, then definitely get the Hot Spots for around $80.00. Can't go wrong.

Maz
09-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys, was just curious who uses what and why.

My first tube trip I used SonarBP's cheapie fins, I think we were on the water about 5 hours give or take ? Either way, I wasn't even a little tired, but I've got some pretty buff legs from carrying my fat arse around for so many years. :D

Browntrouter
09-17-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm new to float tubing and have had had the same questions. Took a class at Castic and had a set of cheap dive fins and was out for 9 hrs. with no problem. I was in no hurry to blow $200.00 on a set of force fins, so I bought a set of Outcast took them out yesterday and hated them. Guess the son in law has a new set of fins. I looked at the hot spots and thought they were rather large and heavy. Wish I new what kind of cheap dive fins I was using that day.

Daryl
09-17-2010, 09:18 AM
You'll want to steer clear of the Outcast/Caddis type "float tube" fins. The Hot Spots may be heavy in the store, but they float, so you won't have that heavy feeling in the water. I've had 2 sets of dive fins and although they work, I find that you use too much effort to propel yourself. They were a killer on my knees, especially on windy days. Since I've had the Force Fins, I can stay out all day in winds that most tubers give up in. And the best part is that they don't put any strain on my knees.

The dive fins will serve their purpose, but in the long run, you'll be doing yourself a favor by getting quality fins.

AngryAgent
09-17-2010, 10:29 AM
You'll want to steer clear of the Outcast/Caddis type "float tube" fins. The Hot Spots may be heavy in the store, but they float, so you won't have that heavy feeling in the water. I've had 2 sets of dive fins and although they work, I find that you use too much effort to propel yourself. They were a killer on my knees, especially on windy days. Since I've had the Force Fins, I can stay out all day in winds that most tubers give up in. And the best part is that they don't put any strain on my knees.

The dive fins will serve their purpose, but in the long run, you'll be doing yourself a favor by getting quality fins.

HotSpots don't float. I have HotSpots and they don't float. Don't want people to think they can take it off and not worry, it will sink to the bottom and if you're deep bye-bye. At least the 2 pairs of HotSpots I have owned didn't float.

Daryl
09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
HotSpots don't float. I have HotSpots and they don't float. Don't want people to think they can take it off and not worry, it will sink to the bottom and if you're deep bye-bye. At least the 2 pairs of HotSpots I have owned didn't float.

I can't say from experience (I've never dropped one in the drink), but the box they come in, as well as the website, says "guaranteed to float". Buyer beware.

http://www.hotspotfins.com/about.htm

AngryAgent
09-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I can't say from experience (I've never dropped one in the drink), but the box they come in, as well as the website, says "guaranteed to float". Buyer beware.

http://www.hotspotfins.com/about.htm

Yeah they don't. Don't drop them:ROFL:

Socal Bassman
09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
The only other fins I've had were the turbo thruster style fins like the ones sold at BPS. Although they offer pretty good propulsion, I find them to be a little stiff and wears you down after 5 or 6 hours. Depending on how strong you are in in your legs of course. The past two years, I have been using a pair of dive fins that I bought at Sport Chalet for $70. I have no complaints so far and can basically stay out there all day without getting tired.

RiverWalker
11-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey everyone! I have a quick question for you Hot Spot fin owners. I recently purchased a set after struggling with those cheap crappy wader boot style fins but the wader fin booties I use make it kind of hard to fit into the fin. I currently wear 'Glacier Glove' wader booties over my wader stockings but they're a little too wide and I have to wiggle and ram my feet into the fins. It's usable this way but I was just wondering what kind of wader booties you are all using that might make things fit better for me.

In regards to the Force fin discussion. So far I've used the cheap wader boot style fins which sucked big time! Then I borrowed some Force fins and loved them comparing to the wader boot style. Then I went out to my local sports chalet to purchase and pair and thought I was seeing double when I saw the price tag!!! $180 for a pair fins??? That's crazy talk! I decided to search around on the web and settled with a pair of Hot Spots.

Daryl
11-19-2010, 04:03 PM
The hotspots aren't designed to wear with booties. They're a great fin and you'll enjoy time on the water in them, but you'll want to use them with your stocking foot waders.

Nessie Hunter
11-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I have been Tubing for about 6 yrs (started when I was 60 yrs old), When I started I went cheap and Hated the strap on fins that need a shoe to work... :-(
I started to try new fins and Had all kinds of pain in my feet in a short few hrs...
I tried 5 pair of Fins, hated them all...
"DANA MY FEET HURT" Was my battle cry to bassnut!!! sad sad times....
Finally won some Hot Spot fins at a tourney.....
AWESOME. no foot pain, never get tired and YES they float I have tried them several times and always float, In fact I often Have one floating while I put on the first one...
They are weightless in the water, amazing after using other fins... Epiphany!!!!!
I wear them over my stocking foot waders, no booties at all. I do wear water socks when no waders..
One pair of fins works Bare footed or with waders..
I have been able to Tube NPH for 16 hr at a time with no fatigue or foot discomfort at all.
I also no longer have to try and keep up, Im in front now most of the time..

Its Hot Spots or nothing for me now..
Albert, owner and maker of Hot Spots, is a float tuber, he made them cuz he needed some good fins..
He did a very good job IMHO!!!!!!!!!
Made by a Float Tuber for Float Tubers... Cant beat that!!

browntown323
11-20-2010, 09:52 AM
i use dive fins and they are ok, just kind of hard when you are in the mud or muck

RiverWalker
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks Daryl. Are you serious? On the box, it clearly states that size S is for youth, M is for socks and L is for Boot. That kind of sucks because I'm a little hesitant to use the fins without any protection to the foot stockings. I wouldn't want to rip a hole in the expose heel area while getting in or out of my tube. Plus I could use the extra layer for warmth when I go tubing the the Eastern sierras. It's just a little tight so maybe I'll ditch the 3mm Glacier Booties and look for some 1.5mm XSPAN socks or booties. I need something. Thanks for the reply!

RiverWalker
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the insight too NessieHunter. I'm really looking forward to testing out my new Hot Spots. We'll I'm actually just looking forward to wetting a line in general. Using my new Hot Spots are just an excuse! LOL. I'm glad to hear that the fins are weightless in the water cause they're pretty heavy while not in water. I was kind of worried.