PDA

View Full Version : 2 lost theshers off CDM 9-14

tizzfishin
09-14-2010, 03:10 PM
I launched today at NPH around 730 am. The water in the harbor was 61-63 and was 55 outside of the harbor. Fished one rod with frozen squid on the bottom and threw a big hammer on the other rod.
I tried the kelp off CDM for nothing then moved between the harbor and balboa pier and landed one 18 inch sand bass. The bass was landed using a small iron bounced off the bottom. There was tons of bait boiling everywhere but nothing feeding.
After trying some deeper water I went back in front of CDM and got nailed on a iron off the bottom. It was peeling my reel when all of a sudden I felt it coming to the top and then leaped out of the water. Shortly after it broke off my 15lb test. This was my first Thresher and really got my blood going. Flying through the air the body looked about 5 ft. My other rig has 25lb test so I put another iron on and started jigging off the bottom. Moved back to where I hooked up with the first one for nothing so I decided to troll back to the harbor. Before I could finish letting out the line I get hit again. This one was pulling harder then the first. I fought it for a few minutes before it broke off. I lost two threshers and two irons. I am now in the market for some bigger equipment. Only fished until 1130 am and then the wind started picking up. Fun morning on the water with my dog.

exfactor
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
yep, T's like to take away gear when your undergunned like that. Now it's smart to have at least 30# with the opportunities the fall brings.

murrieta angler
09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Don't forget to attach a steel leader next time also.
Very cool,
Robert

reeladdiction09
09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
awesome report cant wait to take my yak out there and try and get one. So the iron you were throwing was like yo-yo iron?

tizzfishin
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
awesome report cant wait to take my yak out there and try and get one. So the iron you were throwing was like yo-yo iron?

Yes. I was using a all white one and a white and green. Both were about 8 inches.