PDA

View Full Version : Big Pine to Lee Vining, 9/11-9/13

dockboy
09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Left Saturday mid morning to fish the eastern side with my dad for a couple days. Got to Big Pine Creek around 2:30, and fished the lower section first, below the switchbacks. Fished for an hour or so, and we both managed some small browns. Headed up the pass to the top, and fished our way down. We managed a few fish per stop, best was about a 12" stocker.
On the way to Mammoth we stopped over at the Five Bridges and Wild Trout Areas of the Owens. Its at 556 cfs right now, and it was rather hopeless. We fished each spot for about 30 minutes. Last year I had very good fishing around 450 cfs and was hoping this would be a productive stop. But alas, with only one strike to show for the efforts, we retired to Mammoth for the night.
Sunday we got up early and got to the Devils Postpile to fish the San Joaquin River. Fished in the lower section above Rainbow Falls for 5 hours or so, below the campgrounds. Fishing got tougher as the sun came up higher, but we both got about a dozen fish, all browns except for 2 wild 'bows. A lot of hiking and brush bashing was involved, but the fishing and solitude was worth it. Apparently the 7am limit on cars is done after Labor Day, as people were flocking to the trailhead well after noon.
Headed over to Lee Vining Creek, to explore new waters and make an excuse to eat at the Mobil station there. My father got two browns, and I missed a few, but no real love there. Ate an amazing meal at the Whoa Nelli in the Mobil, and pointed the car south to Benton Crossing. Got to the river at the monument around 5:30 and fished till I couldn't see. I was hoping some big fish would be starting to head upriver from Crowley and so I fished streamers. I got two nice sized stockers and a few taps, but no big fish love. My dad did about as well, 4 decent stockers.
Checked out early today, and got to the river above the crossing around 7. Fished streamers till 10 or so, and managed to spook about a 5-7lb fish :mad:
I got 2 on big streamers, both about 14". Missed a few taps also, and hung it up after they stopped chasing. Went to nymphing around 11, and got a square half dozen fish in 2 hours or so. Also had a few come off instantly. Got a nice 15" bow around 12:30, best of the trip. Left the river at 2:30 or so for home.
All in all, about 40 fish or so in between us for two days of fishing or so. Fishing barbless means we invariably lose some fish to light hookings, but it was fun nonetheless. No particular bait seemed to produce the best. We hooked fish on everything from mini jigs to small ripbaits, and no bait got more than 4 or 5 fish. The weather is gorgeous, the only crowds are Euro hikers, and fishing was at worst decent. Not much more to say :Smile:

Which Way Out
09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the report. Should be useful. Heading up Wed. am

BIGBASS MB
09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice report, sounds like a fun trip with pops...
enjoy those moments....
MB