PDA

View Full Version : Snakehead at BBL?

hotramen
09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
I was at BBL this past weekend. I fish from shore so I tried northshore, near the dam and boulder bay. For those of you that have not been to boulder bay in a long time, a fishing dock has been built there.

I tried the northshore early Sat morning (9-11) for trout. After about 3 hours I had nothing so I packed it in. Later in the afternoon I decided to try boulder bay. This was my second visit to boulder bay in the past 2 years. The last visit produced plenty of bluegills and an occasional carp.

I was surprised of how devoid of fish the area around the shore was. Very few juvenile fish swimming in the plants and nothing was hitting the simple bobber setups. No one on the dock and the people from shore were catching anything. No nibbles ... nothing ...

After about 2 hours I start packing it in. I reel in my rod with a carolina rig nightcrawler setup and I was surprised I caught a fish. Granted it was a tiny one, maybe 2.5 inches if that. It was a fish I had I had never seen before. I can best describe it as looking like a baby lingcod. I start unhooking it to release it when I see that it is not hooked in the mouth at all. The fish swallowed the nightcrawler whole and refused to let go. I end up releasing it and leave frustrated on how poor the fishing has been so far.

While driving to my cabin it hits me. Was what I caught a snakehead? The invasive species that is known for their voracious aggresive appetite and ability to reproduce. I had read about the threats posed by snakeheads and thoughts ran through my mind on what I had done. Now looking back on it I should have taken a photo of it, preserved it, and reported it to dfg.

Could there be a breeding population of snakeheads in the lake? Are they responsible for possibly devastating the local small fish? The cold will kill them off or so I thought, but there are several types of snakeheads and one type can survive harsh cold winters. Could this type of snakehead be in the lake?

As an avid recreational fisherman this troubles me. I have reported my incident with the inland desert region dfg (serving san bernardino).

Any other readers encounter such a fish at bbl?

midgettosser1
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
freshwater sculpin. no worries there.

hotramen
09-13-2010, 08:53 PM
freshwater sculpin. no worries there.

freshwater sculpin ... never heard of it until now

thanks

worries mostly gone

Ifishtoolittle
09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I think my thread got everyone all paranoid. What you caught was a freshwater Sculpin those guys are present in a lot of lakes with high Oxygen content and trout populations. Those guys are pretty voracious feeders I had one a while back eat a size 10 treble rigged up with a whole crawler the damn thing be it was only 3" ate the whole thing.

Cameron
09-14-2010, 10:09 AM
OMG I almost packed up to move,lol. Yes them lil things will attack anything that will fit in their mouths.Anytime ur close to the bottom up here u may be wasting bait on sculpin.

etaggart
09-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Those sculpin are voracious and pesky!!! On those rare occasions when I can only shore fish, they're always nibblin my worms when I reel-in. Like IFishTooLittle said, they'll take a big hook with a worm bigger than they are and refuse to let go. I had a blast one day watching some little kids catch a bajillion sculpin while there dad was working the serious fish. They had a blast.

And, the little bugger are UGLY!

Troudt
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I had the same thing happen to me at Diamond Valley. I caught this little fish on a big nightcrawler. I thought it was a baby catfish at first, I took a pic, turned it loose, unsure what it was. Then I tortured my self the rest of the day thinking "what did I put back", "was it bad", "it had colors like a snakehead"....

When I got to the dock I asked the ranger and showed him the picture. Freshwater Sculpin. I had never heard of them. Ugly little fish, looked like a mixture of a catfish and a pocastamus....

Billy Bass
09-19-2010, 07:03 PM
They sure do like baby lings

Natural Lefty
09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I believe this species is called Mottled Sculpin, and is native to our local streams. They are related to Lingcod and other rockfish, even though they are freshwater and tiny.

Cameron
09-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey whats the limit on these things????? lol

DarkShadow
09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey whats the limit on these things????? lol

yeah, and are they best deep fried or sauteed?

carpanglerdude
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
http://huntingtheriverking.blogspot.com/2010/07/salmon-creek-park-mixed-species.html

I catch freshwater sculpin quite often up in WA, they are everywhere, very aggresive. This guy hit a Yum Dinger lol

Ifishtoolittle
09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Oh that's a pikeminnow eh'? Caught a few from the Russian River on Lipless cranks.