PDA

View Full Version : coachella canal round #2

P1M
09-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I got skunked! Even went at a better time of day right at dark. Used same set up but with 12lbs line and used night crawlers again. Not a nibble. Even brought a camera this time. Any tips as far as bait and rigging might help. I'm bummed because I thought I found a good spot.

yolo
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
If you're looking for more catfish then try this. If you have flow then just use a big chunk of chicken liver with no weight and cast it out 3/4 of the way and let it drift with the flow. You have to walk with it and keep a slack line. When you see your line taking off, let em take it for a few seconds and then set the hook. This is deadly in the aqueduct when there is flow and I am sure it will work just as well in the Coachella Canal. You can do a 1/4 mile section and walk back up and do it again or go to another spot and try the same thing. Also, if you get bit but don't hook it, walk back up flow and drift through the area again. Same goes if you hook up. It's a little funner than bait and wait. You can also get creative and bounce the bait as it is drifting by pulling up on the rod tip slightly. Don't be surprised if a striper hits it too, especially if you are jigging and bouncing the bait some.

This same idea works with no flow too. You just cast out and ever so slowly bring it back on the bottom. Take extra hooks with you in case you snag though.

Take some pics of the canal and post them in your report. I'm still curious what it has transformed into since I was last there. Good luck!

P1M
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the advise I will try in next time. The water flow is good because it's at the gates.

smokehound
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, threadfin shad, goldfish, sunfish, molly, and dead carp may be used in all Colorado River District waters.

try to get yourself some live bluegill/redear sunfish. Keep a light-action rod handy for targetting baitfish.

tiny pieces of shrimp should get you some redears-- just use tiny treble hooks.

Bring a big pole too, with at least 15 lb test, for the bigger fish. ( I would use 20, because of all those damn reeds)

Bluehunter can help you, try asking him.

fullstringer
09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey P1M,If your fishing in city limits Indio 35th,33rd and up around these areas it will be tough,alot of fish traffic in these areas.PM me and I'll get you on some fish.

Joe