PDA

View Full Version : 9/12 post 911 blues becomes bonus big feeshies

exfactor
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Been a little bummed lately, boat broken, working too hard, tuna too expensive to chase, just alot of stuff to deal with. I get a call yesterday from an old fishing buddy, who invites me along for a coastal outing on his 18 parker center console. Now Pete is one of those grumpy old fart's who mostly fishes by himself, and I haven't fished with him for probably 7 or 8 years, but after having his 12 year old nephew along for the most part mentoring him on the nuances of fishing, he figured having someone along to fill in the gaps that boat owners know all too well would be just the ticket. Taylor caught a 50 pound seabass with him the day before, and the ****** assed grin he will be wearing for a while. They followed that fish with a 45 to boot.
We arrived at the launch around 5:30 this morning, and after waiting awhile for the bait guy to bait us up, we departed in foggy, small swell conditions. Got to our spot around 7:30, and set up the gear. There was all kinds of life around us, porpoise working, birds squaking, seals frolicking, bait pushing everywhere. I was the first to have a takedown, and the fish screamed 150 yards of line off the spool. Now, my big fish this year so far has only been 12 pounds or so, so I knew this was the one I've been waiting for to come along, and after a 15 minute battle, Pete sunk the gaff into this.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/P9110002.jpg
Hi fives after only a half hour or so. We get the fish on ice, and the bobber goes off on my other rod! I set him up, and say "here Pete". Big smile, and the fish is giving him a good tussle. We help each other with moving rods out of the way and such, and when his fish is ten feet away, my other rod gets slammed! Pete's stressing, but mine came unbuttoned, and I stick his.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/P9110007.jpg
I check out the only shot he took of me, and go " you cut my head off dude". He replies, the fish is too big, and who wants to look at your ugly mug. Lol. Anyway, we went on a 10 or 12 mud marlin run, with the big one probably 50 pounds, and also a couple of humongous spider crabs, that were easy 10 pounders. I get a call from Arthur, and he's really bummed he's only catching calico's and flatties out of the surf with Bones. We go through a little slow spell, and I rig a big greenie on a 9/0 weighted hook on Pete's rod, and that reel just screams! T-shark is just causing chaos with all the rods out. It bites through the line 5 minutes into it. I drop a greenie down to the bottom, and come up with this.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/P9110009.jpg
I think I had a bite Pete! The other boats there are moving inside and outside of us, but we are on the spot, so mostly watching us pull on fish. We hook another T, and this one stays on for around 10 minutes before he chews through. So it's getting late, the wind is starting to turn on, and we decide to pull the plug. I run over to a fellow angler, and asked him to snap a pic.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/exfactor1/P9120010.jpg
Got back at 3:30, and got the gear and boat tidied up, cut my fish, and wishin I was going back tomorrow, but thankful to have gotten a shot at this bite. Thanks for reading. Mikey

bones
09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Great report Mikey!
Arthur just looked at me after your call and said "Mikey's rockin it up north" He got some big old WSB!
I could just see your big old grin. Glad you finally got on them dude. God knows you have put in the time.
Arthur and I did pretty well today by surf standards too!
Thanks for representing Team 57 and SWAT in style up north buddy. Hope to fish with ya soon!

Very nice Parker by the way!

Tight Lines------<><

MeanMessican
09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Nice croakers. Congrats

Ifishtoolittle
09-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Nice upgrade on your biggest fish for the year.

Wingnut
09-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Outstanding job Mikey! :Envious: You and Pete kicked some major butt on Sunday. :Big Grin:
Can't wait to get back out there with ya again my friend. :Cool:

Native Gal
09-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Sweet WSB exfactor, Congrats!!!!

NG
:Big Grin:

Brian_GSC
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
SWEET!

I think I saw you guys when you were launching...CONGRATS on an awesome day!

crappiemike
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
good job in the salt mikey!!!

cm

JapanRon
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi exfactor,

Very nice job all around,

JapanRon

murrieta angler
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey Mike!
First off, nice meeting you at Irvine Lake for the Cat Derby/Memorial.
2nd, very nice WSB. I still haven't caught one this year and looks like I won't at all, since the tuna are running close enough for me now.
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

stepchild
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
nice lookin fishy.good eatin.thanks for the report

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
TUBBIES !

WOOO-HOOO !

damn sweet !

some serious toads there !

Congratulations...