PDA

View Full Version : BBL 9-12 - Billuns O'Croppie and 1 Surprise Trout

etaggart
09-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Got on the water in the tube about 6:30am, same setup as day before. No wind and beautiful conditions. No fish biting either. Hunting for trout all morning and not even getting a bump. No one else seemed to be catching either. One other tuber fly fishing, I don't think he picked up any trout. Thinking the trout might get active once the wind started, I was going to cruise Garstin Island for croppy around 9am to keep busy until the wind picked up, but the other tuber was there and I didn't want to crowd him out.

About 10am stopped trying for the trout and headed back to Garstin Island for some croppie. No one there, and they were wide open. Easily 24+ croppie within an hour. Almost every pass was a double-up. I snapped a pic with a basketful of about 6. Had a few hard fighters in the group. They were the most active I've seen yet. Silly little fish, but sure kept me busy. A few times with both lines bent, I pulled one in, unhooked and tossed the croppie and tossed my fly back in on a short cast so I could get the other line - after the second line was freed, I picked up the fly line to find another croppie had guzzled the woolly bugger just sitting there.

At one point I had drifted far east past Garstin Island, turned to kick up-wind, and got slammed by a trout on the fly just after dispensing with yet another croppie - nice! and unexpected!! Landed him in the basket and ready to snap a pic but he jumped out when I removed the fly so no picture. Not big (15" or so) but he hit hard and fought better than the croppie.

Cheers!

ET

ryanr0cks
09-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Nice report, cant wait for the pics!! I might head up there on Wednesday, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

--BassHole--
09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
its a crappie.

Cameron
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
dig them croppie ET im headin in the morning for some action.

etaggart
09-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm jealous Cameron!!!!! Midweek in Big Bear - no boats, access to everywhere. Are you tubing, boat or shore?

If tubing, report back and let me know what and where you're hitting!!! I'm wondering if the Observatory area is picking-up w/ trout yet. That's normally my fav area, but the west-end hasn't been too bad either lately.

I can't get back up until October 9th and 10th (if I'm lucky). I'll have to live vicariously through other reports.

Cheers and great luck!

ET

Cameron
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I must say it is very nice on the lake during the week.Hardly any boats & with the cold early morning temps even the die hard locals dont come out until 11 am lol.Unfortunately I still have the local curse & cant land a trout on this dreaded lake but I know the trout season is close.
I am a shore guy & wont get on a boat until I break the curse here.I never was skunked until I moved here lol.I slay the SAR every time I go & get brownies too so it makes the lake thing worse.I saw a 5 lb'r jump this morning in Boulder Bay was a good looking fish.With a lil luck ET I can get some of the ones you will missing.