PDA

View Full Version : boils... boils..again at Dam 09/12/2010

koifish
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Noted boils happended early in the morning so I tried to fish for a couple of hours right after they opened the gate at 6:30 am. First boil was right at the 1st sign got 1 striper..... then the boils moved toward the end dam...kept running....got 2 more.... then the boil died out....

These boils were not large like last year and it lasted very quick about 5-15 second !!!!:EyePop:

Walking the parking lot to go home then I saw small boil on the right side of the boat launching casted my favorite KPN bump came my fat LMB....:LOL::LOL: released back to the water then went home.... Not bad for 1 hour of fishing....

kpn
09-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Good job out there bro.

KPN.

Optimist
09-12-2010, 12:06 PM
WoW, nice fish. 1 hour can catch 3 stripers. that is very good action from the shore. I usually fish from shore or the dam. But I never caught more than 1 striper even though I spent 6 hours fishing. Would you like to teach me how to look for those boils and some more skills how to fish from the dam Kiofish. or maybe we can meet up at the Castiac lake.

troutdog
09-12-2010, 02:25 PM
WTG from the shore, all in an hour wtg!

TD

Hitts0n
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
thanks for the update! I hope u ate great!

koifish
09-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Good job out there bro.

KPN.

yes KPN, thanks for you teaching hahaha...that lure is great.

I'm just an average fishing guy nothing special... learning from here and there. My fishing time is crazy. I can only fish a couple of hours this boil season...most of the time busy with the kids, and work. Hope to see you out there.

[QUOTE=thanks for the update! I hope u ate great!
Yeah that is what we are here for......sharing the fishing infor....
Yes my wife cook those fishes well...

Marine_Michael
09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
WoW, nice fish. 1 hour can catch 3 stripers. that is very good action from the shore. I usually fish from shore or the dam. But I never caught more than 1 striper even though I spent 6 hours fishing. Would you like to teach me how to look for those boils and some more skills how to fish from the dam Kiofish. or maybe we can meet up at the Castiac lake.

If the fish are boiling near you you'll know. It's something that's hard to miss. Seeing them is actually the easy part. Las year around this time the striper would boil just out of casting distance and everyone would just stand there and drool.

Top-water lures like the KPN top-water skinny shad or lures like Zara Spooks work great. You can also use something like a LC Sammy or pointer. If possible cast over the boil and retrieve your lure through it. If you do that right it's hard to not catch a fish. Last year I had a fish take a wack at my lure, miss it and less than 5' later another had nailed it. Fishing the boils is more about being in the right place at the right time. The top-water bite is just starting as time goes by they will be boiling more and more throughout the day.

If you watch where the fish are boiling long enough you'll notice a pattern of places where they will boil more often and/or closer to shore. These are the places you want to fish. Don't leave a spot where they boil regularly to chase boils at another spot. A lot of anglers did that last year, myself included only to have the boil die out minutes before we got there. Then of course the boil moves to where we were before, and if we'd just stayed there we'd have had WFO fishing till the boil died out.

dixoncider
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the report..going up in the morning...

radray
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey Koifish! We saw you there this morning with the 3 stripers. My bro took your picture at the dam. We also saw you on the other side of the launch ramp as well when you hooked onto the LMB. Good job on the fish bro. After you left I managed to land several nice quality LMB which were released. They look very healthy from gorging on the shad. I managed to get a striper on a mini-boil as well. I say mini because it is less than 10 seconds. Anyways all my fish were caught with KPN lures. My first time using them and it worked for me.

Optimist
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
If the fish are boiling near you you'll know. It's something that's hard to miss. Seeing them is actually the easy part. Las year around this time the striper would boil just out of casting distance and everyone would just stand there and drool.

Top-water lures like the KPN top-water skinny shad or lures like Zara Spooks work great. You can also use something like a LC Sammy or pointer. If possible cast over the boil and retrieve your lure through it. If you do that right it's hard to not catch a fish. Last year I had a fish take a wack at my lure, miss it and less than 5' later another had nailed it. Fishing the boils is more about being in the right place at the right time. The top-water bite is just starting as time goes by they will be boiling more and more throughout the day.

If you watch where the fish are boiling long enough you'll notice a pattern of places where they will boil more often and/or closer to shore. These are the places you want to fish. Don't leave a spot where they boil regularly to chase boils at another spot. A lot of anglers did that last year, myself included only to have the boil die out minutes before we got there. Then of course the boil moves to where we were before, and if we'd just stayed there we'd have had WFO fishing till the boil died out.

Thanks for you boils help. I will try to look for it next time when I am at the castaic upper lake. However, I don't have KPN. I have the "Bomber Foxy Shad". I hope it works too.

sidified
09-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks for you boils help. I will try to look for it next time when I am at the castaic upper lake. However, I don't have KPN. I have the "Bomber Foxy Shad". I hope it works too.

If you're looking to fish the boils, you had better pick up a good top water bait...your deep diver is not going to cut it...the top water KPN, though pricey, works great, and is heavy enough to cast a mile...fair warning, I've found the paint not particularly durable ...zara spooks are a decent alternative.. hold up OK, affordable, will cast-- but not as far, are effective, but won't out fish the KPN...

Optimist
09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
If you're looking to fish the boils, you had better pick up a good top water bait...your deep diver is not going to cut it...the top water KPN, though pricey, works great, and is heavy enough to cast a mile...fair warning, I've found the paint not particularly durable ...zara spooks are a decent alternative.. hold up OK, affordable, will cast-- but not as far, are effective, but won't out fish the KPN...

I see. The Zara Spook cost about 1/3 of KPN. Maybe I should try them first before I buy a KPN.

Big Daddy
09-14-2010, 08:02 AM
I see. The Zara Spook cost about 1/3 of KPN. Maybe I should try them first before I buy a KPN.

Don't waste your money "KPN" all the way I fished them a couple of day's ago (for the very first time) it was like this.

1st cast fish on, fish in the boat
2nd cast fish on, fish in the boat
3rd1st cast fish on, I lost the fish at the boat
4th cast fish on, lost the fish
after this lost count I am a KPN believer I bought 7 more for my boat immediatly

Total hook ups on stripers for the day on my boat for 3 of us around 50-60 fish with limits for each and the top fish DD

PM KPN and get your's today just stay away from the lakes I am fishing lol

Thanks Kahn, for a great lure

Btbdodgers
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Don't waste your money "KPN" all the way I fished them a couple of day's ago (for the very first time) it was like this.

1st cast fish on, fish in the boat
2nd cast fish on, fish in the boat
3rd1st cast fish on, I lost the fish at the boat
4th cast fish on, lost the fish
after this lost count I am a KPN believer I bought 7 more for my boat immediatly

Total hook ups on stripers for the day on my boat for 3 of us around 50-60 fish with limits for each and the top fish DD

PM KPN and get your's today just stay away from the lakes I am fishing lol

Thanks Kahn, for a great lure

and that wont happen at Castaic.

Big Daddy
09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
and that wont happen at Castaic.

Really

It will for me

Btbdodgers
09-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Really

It will for me

ur a funny guy

Fishthewhaler
09-15-2010, 01:38 AM
This lure is a Castaic killer...I also like the new hologram crocdile with the sureset hooks. These have been working at DVL ...50 fish days happen here all the time for some of the more "dialed in" anglers. I witnessed KPN's 50 fish day last month, aint no thing to the lake local. I haven't been priveleged this year to get me a 50 day. Maybe this week when I hit it up again before work...Stripey will pay

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Nice job on all the feesh....saweet...

topwater delight..

congrats !

Icarus
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Do these boils happen in more or less the same area? If so, which area is this? I'd really love to know. Also, do these boils die down at certain times of the day/year?

fishinone
10-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Do these boils happen in more or less the same area? If so, which area is this? I'd really love to know. Also, do these boils die down at certain times of the day/year?

They happen all over the lake but some spots are more consistent. Points with the wind blowing in to them, The finger docks at the west ramp, both ends of the dam and later in the year, the backs of coves with the wing blowing down them. Figure out where the wind is pushing the warm surface water. They start in Sept, + or - a month or so and keep going till Dec, + or - a month or so. It depends on water temps and shad hatches.

Icarus
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info! I gotta get down to the finger docks. Next time I'm at Castaic I'll be sure to check that spot out. Maybe we can meet up out there.

koifish
10-25-2010, 07:02 AM
My friend told me that he and some of the guys fishing at the dock were kicked out last Thursday by the sherif !!!!! The cop said you won't allow to fish there on the weekday too. !!!!????