PDA

View Full Version : Headed To Twin Lakes On Monday

flytyingreloader
09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
If I don't pull on some fish REAL SOON, I'm going to become very difficult to live with. First stop on Monday will be Upper Twin Lake, and I'll likely give that at least Monday & Tuesday. If fishing isn't good, I'll try the June Loop (did REAL well at Grant Lake in July) after that, and maybe some other spots that are accessible with a 17' boat.

Not much getting reported this summer from Upper Twin--anyone have commentary?

Which Way Out
09-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Good luck. Put your FNN shirt on, Going up Wed thur Sun. will give a shout on if we see you

bstolton
09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Good luck.Let us know how you do. Only been to twin lakes once and it was so windy could barely get out of the car. I am leaving on the 17th for a week,staying in the loop. would like to give twin lakes a try again, any one have recomendations on a good area for shore fishing there.

BIGBASS MB
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
If I don't pull on some fish REAL SOON, I'm going to become very difficult to live with. First stop on Monday will be Upper Twin Lake, and I'll likely give that at least Monday & Tuesday. If fishing isn't good, I'll try the June Loop (did REAL well at Grant Lake in July) after that, and maybe some other spots that are accessible with a 17' boat.

Not much getting reported this summer from Upper Twin--anyone have commentary?

I'll be looking for reports, I'm also going up there on the 19th... have fun and take some pics...
MB

flytyingreloader
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
OK--I set the trip back a day to get stuff done around here and watch the 2 Monday Night Football games. Did the KC Chiefs show up, or what? Crennell and Weis as coordinators are some good karma. Sorry, Bolts--but still love ya.

Ahem.....met a buddy from Reno in Bridgeport for lunch at noon, and he had too much going on back home to do any fishing. I drove to Upper Twin Lake, and found the resort and campgrounds to be VERY crowded, and no slips available for the boat. I launched and spent 4 hours casting and trolling for a few sub-compact stocker 'bows. I talked with another boater who had spent 2 days on Lower Twin for zero fish, and I didn't see anyone burning them up while I was fishing. Wind wasn't real bad, and bugs were almost non-existent.

Executive decision time--JUNE LAKE LOOP. I hauled out the boat, strapped her down, and beat feet southward. I got to Silver Lake Campground after dark, and the place was at least 3/4 full. WTH?? It's a Tuesday in mid-September! I did find a nice site, pitched the tent, rolled out the sleeping bag--and was OUT.

Up early the next morning, I launched at Silver Lake on glass water in 30* temps. Fish were rising all over the lake, so I drifted and cast Panther Martins and Kastmasters, and picked off some 10"-12" 'bows before the rises shut down when the sun got fully on the water. I then trolled a gold/red Needlefish for a couple more stocker 'bows, and saw that some larger-model fish were deeper down on the meter. I switched to a small jointed Rapala/black-over-silver, and started getting strikes immediately. Trolled about 1.5-2.0 kt, I was hitting these 10"-12" bows every 5-10 minutes. They must HATE these Rapalas, they slammed the daylights out of the lures and fought like crazy. Try as I might, with planers or deep-runners, no love from the BEEG FEESH.

This bite shut off about 10:30, so I took a break--got a meal--took a nap--and went back at it about 3:30 P.M. I tried blades-and-crawler, large and small, deep and medium--still no traction from the full-size fish. Back to the fly-lined Rapala troll, and more suicide stocker rainbow action. I did this until dark, then pulled out the boat. There were some 14"-18" 'bows getting caught by bait fishers using Power Worms and such like.

I got back to camp as saw that the campground was FULL. Middle of the week, SHEESH! I chowed down and crashed. I'd made my mind up to split after the morning fish if some larger models didn't play on artificials.

I was in the water before 7 A.M., and the fishing was a somewhat slower repeat of the prior day's action. The lakeshore was even more crowded with anglers, and after I pulled out the boat I saw the lakeside restaurant was slammed full. Time to go, says I.

Weather was GORGEOUS. Winds were gentle, bugs were all but non-existent, days were warm and nights got nippy. If you like lots of company, June Loop or Twin Lakes might be your cup of tea. BTW, no fall colors yet, to speak of at least.

SierraPeaks
09-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Great report !

TROUT MASTERS
09-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Whats up brother..
Your cuz hayko.(trout masters)
good luck !!!
Kill those browns !!!

fndaway66
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
It might have been crowded because it's hunting season also up there.

Matt44
09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
next time your in Bridgeport try fishing the reservoir man its sick fishing there! iv had better luck there than twin plus the fish are bigger in size from personal experiences!