PDA

View Full Version : Perris 9/10 Salad Plates and Potato Chips

Natural Lefty
09-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I went to Perris for a late afternoon fishing session, armed with leftover nightcrawlers and my supply of various artificials. I would have been able to leave home earlier, but my wife is overseeing remodeling her daughter's house (again) and I couldn't contact her. I finally found the phone number of a worker, and my wife was there. It turns out her cell phone battery was out of energy, and the house has no phone.

I finally got to Perris at about 4:30 and decided to go to the free dock area of the marina, out of curiousity, despite Deyymonayy's frustration with the lack of larger fish there. For a few minutes, I was getting no bites, and was thinking of trying another part of the lake, but as soon as I dropped my bait into the shady area I usually fish on the right side of the free docks, I started getting bites. I had one line with 6 pound line flylining nightcrawler pieces with a small hook, and 2 pound line on the other rod with a nightcrawler piece on a jig. Before long, a good size Bluegill took the flylined bait, and I brought it onto the dock, a good start. I would say it was an adult salad plate size Bluegill. It measured 8 1/2 inches at home, probably about 1/2 pound.

The next fish was one of those potato chip size ones that Deyymonayy mentioned, so I released it. Before long, I caught a somewhat large Bluegill on a flylined piece of nightcrawler about 10 feet to the right of the shady area, I would say a kid's size salad plate size, so I kept it. I continued getting lots of bites, but many missed hooksets probably on small fish, with the most action in the shady spot. Eventually, I caught a couple of smallish Redears which I kept, plus 3 more dink Bluegills which I released.

Around 6 p.m., the security guy came to close the gate, so I moved to the shoreward side of the gate. Fish were still biting, but I kept missing them at that point. There had been some kids fishing on the end of the pier, who did not seem to have caught anything, unfortunately, but there was also a guy with a pier cart who had a couple of good size Redears he had caught in the pay area. He settled near me to continue fishing after they closed the gate.

Strangly, the fishing slowed down as evening approached. Also, I eventually ran out of worms. Next time, I think I will bring some smaller worms with me, and probably try a different part of the lake. As evening approached, I heard the Midge Serenade made by the buzzing of swarms of midges around me, and fish began surfacing at a decent rate. I tried using a fly (Adams, I think), and caught one tiny Bluegill on it and lost another, but somehow the fly action wasn't nearly as good as I thought it should have been. Also, the torpedo bobber I was using kept slipping. I need to work on the proper use of those. Meanwhile, the other guy was clearly fishing 3 poles at the same time. I didn't say anything to him about that, but I am surprised that he was doing that since he seemed familiar with the place and probably knew that rangers check the pier frequently. As it turned out, he caught 2 more Redears, one about the size of mine, and one about the size of my larger Bluegill. I think he was using a drop-shot type setup with nightcrawler pieces, and was just leaving his bait in one place casting out to the left, and putting a bell on his line like stillfishers for trout often do. It was strange that all 4 of his fish were Redears, but I caught 2 Redears myself, so the fall Redear season seems to be shaping up. Deyymonayy only mentioned catching Bluegills a few days earlier.

Also strange was a kid about 8-10 years of age who showed up by himself. He didn't have any fishing equipment; he just wanted to talk. One of my poles fell down with a thud, and he said it had a gentle way of falling. He said that the island was "an exotic place" and no one went there anymore. Then he said something like he would like to take a net and make a jetski out of it and go to the island. Huh? Around that point, I started to wonder about this kid and just said, yeah, sure. A while later, he wandered off, back to his mother presumably, with whom he had been touring the state park. It's a good thing that kids don't get schizophrenia, because he was saying some pretty strange things. I guess he just had lots of imagination. :EyePop:

I kept trying to catch more fish until about 8 p.m., even borrowing a nightcrawler from the other guy, but to no avail, so it wound up being another trip with one good size panfish (adult salad plate size, 1/2 pound), a few smallish ones (kids plate size, 1/4 pound) and some dinks. That seems to be pretty much the norm there. I did lose another good size one in the shady corner area at one point, but it was only on the line for a second or so -- definite bendo though.

Here's the catch:

5 Bluegills on worms, kept one good size (1/2 pound) and one smallish one (1/4 pound) and released three dinks;
1 dink Bluegill on bobber and fly (released);
2 smallish Redears which I kept (about 1/4 pound each).

The first picture shows our newest cat Xiao Hua investigating this strange creature. Gorjilina didn't show much interest in the fish (been there, done that).

The second picture shows a better view of the larger Bluegill. It is daytime in these pictures because I put the fish in the fridge overnight and took the photos this morning.

I think fishing should be pretty good this fall at Perris. At least the Redears are already starting to show up in greater numbers.

carpanglerdude
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Haha, I love the pic of your cat (蕭華?) with the fish.

The fly action was a little weak last time I was (last weekend) at dusk as well. I'm used to slaying them on the flies at that time of the day, but it was really slow.

fishmounter
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Here kitty kitty! Is that a calico or tortise shell? When I would mold a big fish I always gave the cats all the fish they could eat! I had all the neighborhood cats eating all night long!

Temecguy
09-12-2010, 08:00 AM
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv123/a6killa/IMG00019.jpg

Blue gills/red ear love crickets. Love perris blue gill action

Natural Lefty
09-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Carpanglerdude, I don't know what's wrong with the fly action either. I have had tremendous fly action this time of year sometimes, but it varies.

My wife named the cat. I am gradually learning Chinese, so I looked up the Chinese characters for Xiao Hua (pronounced like "hsiao hwa") and they don't match the ones in your post. Her name means "Little Flower," which suits her especially since she is petite and colorful. The character for little looks like a vertical line with a line extending outward and downward on either side, like arms.

She is a Calico, Jeff, without the tortoise shell pattern. My dad got a cat when I was 14 years old that was a tortoise shell. We called her Purrina (I named her) and she lived until I was 32 years old. She was also a well-named cat. Xiao Hua strangely has stripes too, somewhat like a tabby cat. I think that is unusual for a calico, not to mention her gigantic "hands" which cannot be seen in the picture. We fed the cats a bit of leftover stocker trout after our recent trip to the Sierras, not much but they ate it right away. They clearly are fans of trout fishing. (Sunfish are low fat so they might not like those so much.) I am attempting to add another photo in which you can see Xiao Hua's right front paw.

Temecguy, it looks like you caught a couple of "dinner plate" Bluegills there. That one Redear looks really big too. The last "dinner plate" Bluegill I caught at Perris was within a year of when they lowered the water level, and it was on an Adams fly around sundown. Did you catch those from a floating device or from shore? I know I should use crickets more often. I hooked a big fish on one from the pay docks last time but it broke off in all the snags down there after being on the line for 10-15 minutes. I used to think that the crickets have to be alive for fish to bite, but I have discovered that they also bite dead ones.

eg-fisher
09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey there's a free dock area? I thaught u had to pay for the dock area. Also around what time is it getting dark right now at the lake? I would really like to try and make it out there this week. Thanx

Ifishtoolittle
09-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Good stuff Natural Lefty.

Natural Lefty
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
eg-fisher, the free area is from the dock just past the gate to shore. After they close the gate, you can still fish between the gate and the shore. They usually close the gate at 6 p.m. and it is getting dark around 7:30 but you can stay until 10 p.m., or all night if you are staying at the park, but they close the park gate at 10 p.m. There are usually good numbers of fish around there, mostly small ones but some bigger. Good luck out there!

Thanks Ifishtoolittle, I am trying my best. I hope you get to go to Perris soon, too.

Deyymonayy
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Nice job on the bigger gills. As soon as dove season is over I'm definitely making so trips to Perris. My question for everyone is this, if I, and the other people on thisboard make it a point to keep ONLY the small chip sized bluegills everytime we go for the next year would that improve the general size of the gills? Or is there too many people seeking larger gills? Is this idea crazy and even worth the effort? Thanks for any and all input? Sorry for the thread jack

HuskerRod
09-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Make jet ski out of a net? I'd like to see that..heheeheheheheheheh

Natural Lefty
09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Deyymonayy, actually it was only one larger panfish and my wife ate it for lunch today along with the fatter of the 2 Redears.

That is a good question about keeping smaller fish. There are a variety of views about that. My view is that we should "harvest" some adult fish which can actually help the long term fishing if the number taken is in the right range. Releasing them all results in stunting in many places, but not Perris since it is food rich, and keeping them all results in a scarce population if too many are kept, although the ones that escape the fisherpeople grow quickly with lots of food. That approach is called selective harvest. Of course, some adult fish are larger than others. If a fish is pretty small but looks like an adult, I usually keep it. You can usually tell the adults by their coloration, fat bellies, bulging heads, etc. The "potato chip" size Bluegills, Redears or Crappie are usually subadult, so I say let them grow, unless they are genetic dwarves. Some people think you should release the really big ones, too, but I can't resist keeping them. :Razz: I don't think that would really help, anyway, although there is a slight possibility that they have a genetic difference which makes them grow larger. It is questionable in my opinion, whether we would really want to grow gigantic 10 pound Bluegills and Redears, anyway, because they would probably need to become predators of other fish to grow that large, plus a lake could not support that many gigantic panfish. In other words, they would probably become like another species of predator similar to Bass if they were really large, and throw the ecosystem out of balance.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread; I do it all the time, plus, I think I just re-hijacked it.

Husker Rod, that kid was talking so fast and so crazy it was difficult to keep up with him. I guess he was just imaginative. He will probably grow up to be a novelist or inventor, if he can make his ideas more realistic. He was also saying something about "Rainbow fish" in Perris Lake and how colorful they are. That set my mind back to a time years ago when I went to Rancho Jurupa and some guy started talking to me about how went diving there and he saw beautiful fish with all colors of the rainbow. It was soon apparent to me that he was a schizophrenic. The guy at Rancho Jurupa was a young man, though, like in his 20s. He wouldn't stop talking to me, either. I finally left and said good luck. I hope he got his medications and got his delusions under control.

I suppose the kid at Perris was just talking about Rainbow Trout. I'd like to see how he would make a jetski out of a net, too, but I don't think he had any real idea. Maybe he could turn a net into a handlebar, at least.

Temecguy
09-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Temecguy, it looks like you caught a couple of "dinner plate" Bluegills there. That one Redear looks really big too. The last "dinner plate" Bluegill I caught at Perris was within a year of when they lowered the water level, and it was on an Adams fly around sundown. Did you catch those from a floating device or from shore? I know I should use crickets more often. I hooked a big fish on one from the pay docks last time but it broke off in all the snags down there after being on the line for 10-15 minutes. I used to think that the crickets have to be alive for fish to bite, but I have discovered that they also bite dead ones. I was in a float tube. Very difficult to catch from shore by the dam.

Natural Lefty
09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, it's awfully snaggy fishing from shore on the dam.

I actually went back to Perris on Friday, but have been too busy to write about it. Fishing was almost a repeat of the previous week, anyway. I caught another 2 okay size Redears, and one larger Bluegill, which this time was on a fly, plus several "potato chip" size Bluegills I let go. I at least tried to make this trip different. I started out at Bernasconi. It sure isn't the old Bernasconi I used to go to. There is a jungle of trees there, and all the rip rap is out of the water. It looks like a long hike to any good fishing on that side of the lake.

Oh, and a school of larger Bluegills must have shown up at the end of the docks. I saw about 10 larger Bluegills (bigger than my biggest one), in baskets from people out there. I guess they were about 3/4 -1 pounders.