PDA

View Full Version : 9/10 afternoon recon @ Goon and upper and fish and game

SDDave
09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Went out for a afternoon re con today, hadn't made a choice on which Lake until I was going over the bridge, saw the parking lot was empty so I cranked it to the left and went to the goon.
The only person over at the weeds was a float tuber, Got the net out and went to work on getting some shad, millions of tiny baits, I was finally able to get some of the bigger ones, so I baited up and picked up a nicer grade, I had trouble with my camera, getting to much light so I took to much time on the self portrait so I didn't weigh her.
After that I got a couple more of the smaller units and the afternoon crowd started to show up, Pastor Mike and some other guys, the swim beach is now closed for the year and the ropes are gone.
There were two guys fishing in the spot in the middle of the swim beach and were getting some fish, I asked Mike, he knew the guys and he said they were using jigs.
My shad bite died off and I was thinking about getting up to the upper to see if any boils were happening, so I headed back to the ramp, *NOTE* the water is really low and when I launched my rear tires on the trailer went past the drop off on the concrete, so be careful if you guys have a tandem axle or even a single, pretty easy to get stuck if your not careful.
Launched at the upper had about a hour to fish, ran back to Elizabeth, saw Ray and his friend, said Hi, he said no boils, right before that I had some fish come up, tossed a spook at them, a fish broke on it but didn't hook up.
nothing after that, the lifeguards were announcing that the lake was closing so I took off and would see if the launch ramp had anything happening, it didn't.
Put the boat on the trailer and drove up to the parking lot and saw F&G five O crawling all over these guys Triton, they were digging in everything, even in his truck, I went to the back of the parking lot, and watched them hit the next guy in a aluminum boat and a Toyota truck, they were very thorough, going threw boat and vehicle, I cleaned up and headed down the hill, good to see the boys in green on the job.
Didn't see them site anyone, just making a there presents known...

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/dde9d6ff.jpg

Bassnman Mike
09-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the report Dave, now of course I've got some questions.

You said,

*NOTE* the water is really low and when I launched my rear tires on the trailer went past the drop off on the concrete, so be careful if you guys have a tandem axle or even a single, pretty easy to get stuck if your not careful.

How does one be careful and be sure they dont get stuck and what can one do if they do?

Also, glad to hear that the F&G are actually out there doing their job

SDDave
09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Ill try to explain a liltte better, the concrete ramp only goes so far and stops, then there's a drop off of about a foot and a half to the sand when laucnhing you have to get in far enough to float the boat off the trailer and with the water level so low and the goons ramp not having much slope to it certain trailers and boats risk dropping off the ramp and getting there tires caught on the drop off.
Putting the boat back on is not as bad cause you can stop short of going off and use the motor to power the boat on the trailer.
And if someone does get stuck a truck with 4 wheel drive would help.
Hope that explains what I said about the ramp better

SDDave
09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Ill try to explain a liltte better, the concrete ramp only goes so far and stops, then there's a drop off of about a foot and a half to the sand when laucnhing you have to get in far enough to float the boat off the trailer and with the water level so low and the goons ramp not having much slope to it certain trailers and boats risk dropping off the ramp and getting there tires caught on the drop off.
Putting the boat back on is not as bad cause you can stop short of going off and use the motor to power the boat on the trailer.
And if someone does get stuck a truck with 4 wheel drive would help.
Hope that explains what I said about the ramp better

YEP so thats whats ups withs thats....

kerryvbc1
09-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the update on that situation. I noticed the lower lake level low on my way to the main lake but I forget about the ramp dropping off. Think I'll just fish from shore on the lower lake for a while. I've Had my trailer drop off that part of the ramp before but fortunately never got stuck

Bassnman Mike
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for explaining Dave. It was the same way at Lake Isabella a couple years back when the water was real low. All of the ramps around the lake ended before the water began. Launching was easy but only 4 wheel drives could recover