PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa Saltist 35H VS Avet MX

nuplacebo
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm getting either one soon, any thoughts on the performance of both reels?
Is it possible to bump up drag capacity on the MX by adding carbontex washer?

MeanMessican
09-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Either will kill some fish. I myself would go with the Avet simply because I dont like the foam handle on the Saltist.

rickk71
10-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I have 7 Avets and they are great

Manuel
10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
First, the Avet already has a carbon fiber drag washer so, no upgrade needed or available. You're gonna have to live with 9-10 lbs. of max drag. Its a 30 lb reel max.

The Daiwa claims to put out 18-19 lbs of drag. If that's true you got double the drag to work with. This could easily be a 40-50 lb. reel with spectra backing.

The Daiwa has a centrifugal cast control system and the Avet requires good even thumb tension or glueing a magnet into the sideplate or you could buy the magic cast MX. I glued one small magnet in my MXJ and never had a casting problem. Without magnets, they are hard to control.

Although I have never fished or handled the Daiwa it looks to be a more versatile reel than the MX. I saw the Daiwa in a shop and it appeared to have a plastic, not a foam, handle.

Best advice, go to a shop where you can have both reels side by side and handle both reels. Grab a rod and put get a feel for them on a rod.

Good luck with your decision.

Manuel

Porkchop5420
10-16-2010, 02:18 AM
I have both reels, and both of them are great reels. However, there is a quality difference in Avet and Daiwa. An Avet MX has a tighter tolerance and has more torque when it comes too cranking in fish. The Daiwa Saltist 35H is a good reel also, however it doesn't have the same torque as the Avet. The Daiwa definitely cast alot better than the Avet.